Urban Sprawl

lizzard_nyclizzard_nyc Registered Users Posts: 4,056 Major grins
edited January 21, 2010 in Other Cool Shots
Afternoon All,
I just posted this shot as part of a series on PJ, but wanted to share this shot with you guys.

C&C always appreciated.
I see the shot is a bit tilted, don't have the means to fix that right now, just FYI.

Thanks for looking.

765898919_X6qCH-XL-1.jpg
Liz A.
_________

Comments

• RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,955 moderator
    edited January 16, 2010
    I said it on the Street forum and I'll say it again here--terrific shot. I don't think the tilt is anything to worry about or correct. Well done. clap.gifclap
  • Wil DavisWil Davis Registered Users Posts: 1,692 Major grins
    edited January 16, 2010
    I agree with Richard; it's great as is…

…don't try to gild the lily! thumb.gif

- Wil
    "…………………" - Marcel Marceau
  • lizzard_nyclizzard_nyc Registered Users Posts: 4,056 Major grins
    edited January 16, 2010
    Thank you Richard and Wil--I'm very happy with how this turned out.
    I think I might just enter it in the new challenge and see if it flies.
    Liz A.
    _________
  • rainbowrainbow Registered Users Posts: 2,765 Major grins
    edited January 16, 2010
    Thank you Richard and Wil--I'm very happy with how this turned out.
    I think I might just enter it in the new challenge and see if it flies.

Tilting with a 25 mm on a shot like this is rarely noticed because the perspective distortion is already pronounced: look at the right edge and left edge and notice that both verticals tilt inward anyway. So only a perfectly centered vertical will not tilt left or right.

Anyway, this is a wonderful visual shot. Likening it to the Escher lithograph was apropos. BUT, what this shot lacks is an emotional content. And I think here is where both your style and your photos have already excelled. So this may do fine, but I suspect if you did not let yourself be satisfied with this you could wow us (and yourself!) with your entry!
    edited January 16, 2010
    rainbow wrote:
    Tilting with a 25 mm on a shot like this is rarely noticed because the perspective distortion is already pronounced: look at the right edge and left edge and notice that both verticals tilt inward anyway. So only a perfectly centered vertical will not tilt left or right.

Anyway, this is a wonderful visual shot. Likening it to the Escher lithograph was apropos. BUT, what this shot lacks is an emotional content. And I think here is where both your style and your photos have already excelled. So this may do fine, but I suspect if you did not let yourself be satisfied with this you could wow us (and yourself!) with your entry!

Hi Rainbow,
    This lens is taking some getting used to, but it sure is fun. I see what you mean about both vertical tilts.

I've already entered the shot--but I know that if I get something I am happier with I will ask that it be deleted. I plan on shooting all next week too, so here's hoping. Just in case though I titled this one "gentrification".

Thanks for looking and commenting and for pushing me.
    Liz A.
    _________
  • DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
    edited January 16, 2010
    Hi Liz...

What a wonderful shot -- wish I had something like that to shoot in my town, but no such luck :cry
  • eL eSs VeeeL eSs Vee Registered Users Posts: 1,243 Major grins
    edited January 17, 2010
    Wonderful shot, Liz!! Until I saw the billboards at the bottom (I'm using an iPod, for now, since the near-fatal crash of my yet to be revived computer), I thought your image looked nicely vintage; to the point that it could be mistaken as such. Very well done!! thumb.gif
    Lee

My SmugMug Gallery
    My Facebook

"If you've found a magic that does something for you, honey, stick to it. Never change it." - Mae West, to Edith Head.
    "Every guy has to have one weakness - and it might as well be a good one." - Shell Scott: Dance With the Dead by Richard S. Prather
    edited January 17, 2010
    Dogdots wrote:
    Hi Liz...

What a wonderful shot -- wish I had something like that to shoot in my town, but no such luck :cry

But you have sunsets to die for Mary Kim (I saw one of your latest posts), and I'm equally envious of those (if it makes you feel better :D ) Thank you for looking and commenting.
    Liz A.
    _________
    edited January 17, 2010
    eL eSs Vee wrote:
    Wonderful shot, Liz!! Until I saw the billboards at the bottom (I'm using an iPod, for now, since the near-fatal crash of my yet to be revived computer), I thought your image looked nicely vintage; to the point that it could be mistaken as such. Very well done!! thumb.gif

I feel your pain Lee,
    I was lost when my PC and then my laptop crashed. Glad you have your Ipod to get you by, I had my crackberry.

I'm glad you like the post--I debated while taking the shot to either include the billboards or not and decided it looked good in contrast to the grimy buildings--the old vs new.

I'm glad you like it--thank you.
    Liz A.
    _________
  • AzzaroAzzaro Registered Users Posts: 5,643 Major grins
    edited January 17, 2010
    Good stuff Liz..... thumb.gif don't fix anything.. it is perfect like it is.......azzaro
  • invisibleinvisible Registered Users Posts: 440 Major grins
    edited January 17, 2010
    Azzaro wrote:
    Good stuff Liz..... thumb.gif don't fix anything.. it is perfect like it is.......azzaro
    I agree with Mr. Azzaro. Just wanted to add that the B&W conversion is beautiful; I don't think a colour version would be as killer as this one.
    I steal the soul of inanimate things.

Federico
    Website / Flickr
    edited January 17, 2010
    Azzaro wrote:

Thank you Azzaro:):D

Not normally good with structures, so I'm glad for the positive feedback.
    Liz A.
    _________
    edited January 17, 2010
    invisible wrote:
    I agree with Mr. Azzaro. Just wanted to add that the B&W conversion is beautiful; I don't think a colour version would be as killer as this one.

Thank you!
    It was my first time shooting RAW and editing from scratch. I normally like high contrast shots, but I was really happy with this conversion :ivar .
    Liz A.
    _________
  • rwellsrwells Registered Users Posts: 6,084 Major grins
    edited January 20, 2010
    Liz,

I don't know how I missed this one, but I can't get enough of those stairs thumb.gif
    Randy
    edited January 20, 2010
    rwells wrote:
    Liz,

I don't know how I missed this one, but I can't get enough of those stairs thumb.gif

Thank you sir.
    Finally, I sort of nailed a structure:). Kinda proud of it and glad you like it.
    Liz A.
    _________
  • rookieshooterrookieshooter Registered Users Posts: 539 Major grins
    edited January 21, 2010
    Those stairways look really cool on the right. Great shot.
    edited January 21, 2010
    Those stairways look really cool on the right. Great shot.

Hi rookieshooter-
    I agree on the stairs--looks like some consideration went into the design of that fire escape. I get dizzy just looking at it--wonder if I'd get dizzy trying to flee from a fire on the pretty stairsrolleyes1.gif .
    Liz A.
    _________