At wit's end regarding color calibration/managment on new monitors.

mantispidmantispid Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
edited January 17, 2010 in Digital Darkroom
Hello... I recently upgraded my photo editing displays to Dell Ultrasharp U2410 monitors. These monitors are wide-gamut displays.

I also use a Spyder3Elite colorimeter.

After installing the monitors and calibrating them (using the Spyder3Elite), all of my sRGB photos in Lightroom (and any other color-managed application) have a sickly yellow cast to them. These images look perfectly normal in non-color-managed applications. Anything that is color-managed, they look yellowish. The default monitor profile for the U2410 was corrupt and made things *severely* yellow in color-manged applications. I had the Spyder3 create new profiles, and it corrected the grossly yellow cast... but there is still a yellow cast to all of my sRGB images.

I've tried AdobeRGB mode, and sRGB mode of the monitor (and calibrating both with the Spyder3Elite), and I still get a yellow cast to all of my sRGB images with ICC profiles.

If I load these into photoshop and assign my old monitor's ICC profile to the image, the image looks fine. If I then convert to sRGB and view on another system, the image has a pink color cast, even though it looks normal on the system with the new monitors.

If I select 'proof with monitor RGB', I will see the pink cast that I see on all other systems.

I'm thinking that either I am doing something horribly wrong with color management, or that these Dell Ultrasharp U2410 monitors have some sort of design flaw. (Note that the problem is not the reported pink/green tint issue seen with some of these monitors, nor is there any problem with dithering of greys).

Comments

• mantispidmantispid Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
    edited January 17, 2010
    Hmm...

...the issue may actually be one of double-profiling.

If I set the Spyder3Elite profile chooser to the one generated for my monitor, and then go into windows and select 'sRGB', then the colors look normal.

If I restart, then the regular display of the monitor becomes off-kilter (icons, etc.) and I need to go back into the Spyder3Elite's profile chooser, then into windows color management and then select sRGB...

That seems pretty strange to me... I only had this problem when I switched to these wide-gamut monitors. I haven't changed my video card or anything else. Why would I have a double-profiling issue all of a sudden?