Options

Higher Learning

bfjrbfjr Registered Users Posts: 10,980 Major grins
edited January 18, 2010 in Street and Documentary

Comments

• Options
    ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
    edited January 17, 2010
    Ben, remember the elements of bird photography and apply them here. PJ isn't sloppy photography. As much as bird photography, it strives to capture moments clearly and well. The degree of difficulty is similar to bird photography, and with all due respect, even higher, because many PJ moments will never come again. Gandhi's funeral happened just once and if you weren't there, well, you didn't get the shot. No matter how rare the bird and great the light, there's always hope for a second chance.

This shot is a very interesting idea. I like the play of the subjects and the stuff on the whiteboard. I wish you'd gotten to the right to reveal the face of the guy on the left and the rest of the face on the right. With two faces showing, this might have been a picture of a conversation instead a sneak peek. Something was going on between student and teacher, I'll bet, and that would have been an interesting story.
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    edited January 18, 2010
    rutt wrote:
    Ben, remember the elements of bird photography and apply them here. PJ isn't sloppy photography. As much as bird photography, it strives to capture moments clearly and well. The degree of difficulty is similar to bird photography, and with all due respect, even higher, because many PJ moments will never come again. Gandhi's funeral happened just once and if you weren't there, well, you didn't get the shot. No matter how rare the bird and great the light, there's always hope for a second chance.

This shot is a very interesting idea. I like the play of the subjects and the stuff on the whiteboard. I wish you'd gotten to the right to reveal the face of the guy on the left and the rest of the face on the right. With two faces showing, this might have been a picture of a conversation instead a sneak peek. Something was going on between student and teacher, I'll bet, and that would have been an interesting story.

Rutt I've been back and forth to your reply many times now.

1st you know I always appreciate your time and talents, however did you call my work "Sloppy?"

IQ wise the shot falls far short. The Glass caused the most degredation of the image but again unavoidable unless I just past on the shot. I tried in post to regain what detail/contrast I could.

Your right I'm not as well versed at Street/PJ as I am Wildlife but not a noob either. Decisive moments are sought after in both genres.

From what I've read/viewed PJ images need to tell a story without added type, yes? And that's what I saw and made my finger roll the shutter. It seems in that respect I succeeded somewhat, being that the people (including yourself) had no problem understanding the goings on in this shot.

In the end, it's not a good image or a once in a lifetime event, it's just an old mans attempt at PJ/Street but it is not SLOPPY.
  • Options
    ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
    edited January 18, 2010
    Sorry. I'm an old man, too, and have had many a comeuppance of my own. I got up on my high horse. Sorry. Really, I was just was trying to tell you to apply the same standards you do to your other fine photography.

Read the second paragraph of my comment again and forget my ill-advised use of the word "sloppy." This situation had potential, but I wish you'd "worked" it harder (to borrow an expression from B.D.) I respect you enough to have given you a careful critique. Please try to see that as the compliment it is.
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    edited January 18, 2010
    rutt wrote:
    Sorry. I'm an old man, too, and have had many a comeuppance of my own. I got up on my high horse. Sorry. Really, I was just was trying to tell you to apply the same standards you do to your other fine photography.

Read the second paragraph of my comment again and forget my ill-advised use of the word "sloppy." This situation had potential, but I wish you'd "worked" it harder (to borrow an expression from B.D.) I respect you enough to have given you a careful critique. Please try to see that as the compliment it is.

I will, I have and I look forward to working it harder.
    I mean the caption does say, "Higher Learning" :D

Thanks