Options

Unknown Color Space

mcu28815mcu28815 Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
edited January 17, 2010 in Bug Reporting
How come SmugMug does not recognize "sRGB IEC61966-2.1" color space under photo info? It shows up as UNKNOWN.

Comments

• Options
    docwalkerdocwalker Registered Users Posts: 1,867 SmugMug Employee
    edited January 17, 2010
    Can you link me to an example photo along with details of what camera was used and also what editor if used to process the photo? I need to take a look.
    SmugMug Support Hero
    http://help.smugmug.com
  • Options
    edited January 17, 2010
    docwalker wrote:
    Can you link me to an example photo along with details of what camera was used and also what editor if used to process the photo? I need to take a look.

http://changpix.smugmug.com/Sports/PENHIGH-Soccer/NorthTorr/10817333_ci6DY#754356654_5dmbv

Camera: Nikon D300, shooting RAW
    Editor: Nikon NX2

The pictures there with correct color space identified were converted to "Nikon sRGB" by NX2.

The pictures with UNKNOWN color space were converted to sRGB IEC61966-2.1 by NX2.

Please let me know if you need the originals before uploading. Thanks.
  • Options
    devbobodevbobo Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,339 SmugMug Employee
    edited January 17, 2010
    G'day,

Firstly, all images displayed on SmugMug are sRGB...so there is nothing to worry about from that perspective.

The information that is display in that box is purely derived from EXIF. The confusing bit is that the embedded sRGB profile has no direct linking to the Colorspace tag within the image's exif.

The EXIF spec states the Colorspace tag is defined as ...
    1 = sRGB
    65535 = Uncalibrated

For some reason, we are currently showing 'unknown' instead of 'uncalibrated'..i've fixed that internally.

I've looked through a number of originals in that gallery and there is a mix of photos some with colorspace set to 1 and some set to 65535. I assumed this is related to either camera settings when the photos were taken or how the images were processed. But in the end, it doesn't really matter...there are just some bits set in the metadata and all of the resulting images are sRGB.

Hope this helps,

David
    David Parry
    SmugMug API Developer
    My Photos
  • Options
    edited January 17, 2010
    devbobo wrote:
    G'day,

Firstly, all images displayed on SmugMug are sRGB...so there is nothing to worry about from that perspective.

The information that is display in that box is purely derived from EXIF. The confusing bit is that the embedded sRGB profile has no direct linking to the Colorspace tag within the image's exif.

The EXIF spec states the Colorspace tag is defined as ...
    1 = sRGB
    65535 = Uncalibrated

For some reason, we are currently showing 'unknown' instead of 'uncalibrated'..i've fixed that internally.

I've looked through a number of originals in that gallery and there is a mix of photos some with colorspace set to 1 and some set to 65535. I assumed this is related to either camera settings when the photos were taken or how the images were processed. But in the end, it doesn't really matter...there are just some bits set in the metadata and all of the resulting images are sRGB.

Hope this helps,

David

That makes sense. All pictures were originally RAW. NX2 software gives you several choices of color spaces when converting to JPEG. Some I used "Nikon sRBG", and some I used "sRGB IEC61966-2.1". I thought they are equivalent and both should appear to be as standard sRGB.

Thanks.