Options

Worth upgrading my Canon G3?

robscomputerrobscomputer Registered Users Posts: 326 Major grins
edited July 29, 2005 in Cameras
I've been looking around for a more compact "take everywhere" digital camera. I have a few contenders but was not sure about the quality of the images they produce. After viewing some samples pictures on PBase they appear to be the same quality as my G3 but wasn't too sure.

Will a compact digital, say a Canon SD400 offer near or better image quality? Would I be better off just using my G3 in RAW for better images?

Thanks,
Rob
Enjoying photography since 1980.

Comments

• Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited July 28, 2005
    I've been looking around for a more compact "take everywhere" digital camera. I have a few contenders but was not sure about the quality of the images they produce. After viewing some samples pictures on PBase they appear to be the same quality as my G3 but wasn't too sure.

Will a compact digital, say a Canon SD400 offer near or better image quality? Would I be better off just using my G3 in RAW for better images?

Thanks,
    Rob
    I would think your G3 is superior to the SD400 simply because it offers you more control over your image.

I think the megapixel thing is highly overrated, especially with this size camera. It's really only an issue if you plan to make really huge prints. And if you did, you'd probably already be using a different camera.

The G3 is an excellent camera. The only plus I can see to the SD400 is that it's smaller. In terms of image quality, I would rather shoot with a G3.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    robscomputerrobscomputer Registered Users Posts: 326 Major grins
    edited July 29, 2005
    Very good points! I figure that with all of the extras the G3 had, the newer cameras would still have higher quality images. Looks like I'll just keep using my G3 as the secondary camera.

Rob
    Enjoying photography since 1980.