A Feeding Frenzy

black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,323 Major grins
edited January 18, 2010 in Other Cool Shots
Darlene and I do a lot of walking on the beach. We usually take old bread along to feed the birds. I swear I believe they know when it's us that show up. They will literally swarm you. They'll hover in midair only a couple feet away from you....waiting for that morsel to come their way.

766839498_FeiKv-XL.jpg

766839614_b7TSA-XL.jpg
I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.

Comments

• rainbowrainbow Registered Users Posts: 2,765 Major grins
    edited January 17, 2010
    Gotta wear a hat...

I like the flocking/feeding bunching. #1 is wonderful with the lighting on both the birds and the clouds. I thought a while and decided that having the person in the bottom right is a good addition to increase interest in the shot.

Fun and nice captures!
  • AzzaroAzzaro Registered Users Posts: 5,643 Major grins
    edited January 17, 2010
    Hey Tom.......The first picture is a wonderful picture.....:D Getting Darleen's head in the picture is a plus. It tells the story and how close the birds get.....

azzaro
  • PantherPanther Registered Users Posts: 3,658 Major grins
    edited January 17, 2010
    Howdy Tom,

Love that first one, with all the sharp details on the birds and that beautiful blue sky.

I agree with Gary, having Darlene in the images really give some scale and anchors the image.
    Take care,

Craig

Burleson, Texas
  • invisibleinvisible Registered Users Posts: 440 Major grins
    edited January 17, 2010
    Oh my, the first one is absolutely stunning! Thumbs up!
    I steal the soul of inanimate things.

Federico
    Website / Flickr
  • DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
    edited January 17, 2010
    Wonderful photo -- darn those birds are close.
  • black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,323 Major grins
    edited January 18, 2010
    Hey rainbow...

Thanks for the comments. As you can see, there was a lot of cloud cover. It opened up briefly and I was able to fire off the first shot, catching a burst of light that lit up the birds very well.

Take care,

Tom
    I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
    edited January 18, 2010
    Hi Gary,

Thanks for the nice comment. I also thought that getting Darlene's head in the shot added an important element. Getting the birds to cooperate was no problem....throw a little bread into the air and here they come.

Take care,

Tom
  • Gary752Gary752 Registered Users Posts: 934 Major grins
    edited January 18, 2010
    I really like the first one. Looking at each bird individually, the one near the top and to the right looks like he/she is pointing and saying to the others "THE LADY OVER THERE HAS FOOD!", and most of the other birds are looking in that direction. Great capture!

GaryB
    GaryB
    “The single most important component of a camera is the twelve inches behind it!” - Ansel Adams
  • rwellsrwells Registered Users Posts: 6,084 Major grins
    edited January 18, 2010
    Hey Tom,

That first image certainly does put us (the views) on the beach watching the birds.
    Randy
    edited January 18, 2010
    Yo Craig,

I'm glad you like the shot. I've threatened to take my camera along on these walks before, glad I finally did.

Take care,

Tom
    edited January 18, 2010
    Hi Fererico,

Thanks for the nice comment.

Take care,

Tom