Options

PLEASE HELP!!! Can't upload RAW images from Canon 20D

miriotemiriote Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
edited January 26, 2006 in Digital Darkroom
I am so very very frustrated. I've downloaded & installed the DNG Camera Raw update from Adobe, tried uploading the images from my camera to EVERY imaging program on my PC, and keep getting the same message:

"Although RAW or animated images exist in the camera, this software only displays JPEG images."

I have Windows 2000, Photoshop CS2, Elements 2, ImageReady CS2 and some other MS imaging junk on here. I also have the bundled software that came with the Canon, but it doesn't DO anything except give me thumbnails with huge ?'s on them from folders on my PC. It doesn't even recognize the camera, apparently.

I'm positive I'm doing something wrong and Canon's website is less than helpful. *SOB*

Thank you so much in advance if you can help me!

Comments

• Options
    John MuellerJohn Mueller Registered Users Posts: 2,555 Major grins
    edited July 28, 2005
    I never downloaded from the cam,so I cant help you there.
    I have seen the big ?,but thats when the program dosent know where to look.
    Have you directed it to the cam?
    I use a usb2 card reader and never had a problem.
  • Options
    edited July 28, 2005
    I don't even begin to know how I would direct it to the camera.....nothing that I can uncover even remotely indicates that I have that choice. Thanks for trying tho :) :cry
    I have seen the big ?,but thats when the program dosent know where to look.
    Have you directed it to the cam?
    I use a usb2 card reader and never had a problem.
  • Options
    SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited July 28, 2005
    miriote wrote:
    I am so very very frustrated. I've downloaded & installed the DNG Camera Raw update from Adobe, tried uploading the images from my camera to EVERY imaging program on my PC, and keep getting the same message:

"Although RAW or animated images exist in the camera, this software only displays JPEG images."

I have Windows 2000, Photoshop CS2, Elements 2, ImageReady CS2 and some other MS imaging junk on here. I also have the bundled software that came with the Canon, but it doesn't DO anything except give me thumbnails with huge ?'s on them from folders on my PC. It doesn't even recognize the camera, apparently.

I'm positive I'm doing something wrong and Canon's website is less than helpful. *SOB*

Thank you so much in advance if you can help me!
    I don't know if this will help at all but, I download all my files from the CF card through a card reader. I put all my photos in a seperate drive under "My Pictures" under a different folder for each event. I do not try and access the files from the camera, or card directly.

After opening CS2, and Bridge, I look at the folder in Bridge.

If you can not see a thumbnail or open the file then you have not downloaded the latest Raw converter, or it's not located in the correct directory, location.

Maybe the kid with the earring can help more when he's done pouting. rolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    edited July 28, 2005
    Thank you all so very much! Canon's website blows, but their live tech support ROCKS!!! Turns out, I'm a moron and wasn't using the Viewer Utility properly. I'm all better now though :D Thanks again for your help!!!

x's & o'siloveyou.gif
  • Options
    HiggmeisterHiggmeister Registered Users Posts: 909 Major grins
    edited August 9, 2005
    Just a note for others,
    The 20D is not recognized by the OS or other programs as a device. You have to use the Canon Viewer Utility to download the pictures from the camera to your HD. This is only if you are going from camera to computer which is what I do, for now.

Chris
    miriote wrote:
    Thank you all so very much! Canon's website blows, but their live tech support ROCKS!!! Turns out, I'm a moron and wasn't using the Viewer Utility properly. I'm all better now though :D Thanks again for your help!!!

x's & o'siloveyou.gif

A picture is but words to the eyes.
    Comments are always welcome.

www.pbase.com/Higgmeister

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited August 9, 2005
    miriote wrote:

x's & o'siloveyou.gif

fine, but you should also spend $18 on a card reader - so much easier!
  • Options
    luke_churchluke_church Registered Users Posts: 507 Major grins
    edited August 10, 2005
    The 20D is not recognized by the OS or other programs as a device.
    Stares in disbelief...

Why, why, why???? headscratch.gif

As Andy said, memory card readers suddenly sound like a great idea.

Luke
  • Options
    devbobodevbobo Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,339 SmugMug Employee
    edited August 10, 2005
    Just a note for others,
    The 20D is not recognized by the OS or other programs as a device. You have to use the Canon Viewer Utility to download the pictures from the camera to your HD. This is only if you are going from camera to computer which is what I do, for now.

Chris
    I'm not sure that this is correct. I was able to get a co-worker's 20D to connect to my notebook after I downloaded the drivers from Canon's website.

After doing this it appears as a device in Windows Explorer.

The problem I found is that the 20D is identified by the OS as a camera and not as a removeable storage device (like my Sony F717), so the mechanism for transfering files is different.

Cheers,

David
    David Parry
    SmugMug API Developer
    My Photos
  • Options
    MalteseParrotMalteseParrot Registered Users Posts: 20 Big grins
    edited January 26, 2006
    Failure at RAW
    Andy wrote:
    fine, but you should also spend $18 on a card reader - so much easier!

Are you saying that if I had a card reader I could magically upload my RAW files from my Canon 20D and actually see them and work with them in PhotoShop?

I am sooo frustrated I could SPIT! I must be stupid too!
    I follow all the directions that came with my Canon 20D to install the software so I can start utilizing RAW images. (I had always read comment for others about how hard this is, so it put me off of doing it.)

Anyway, so I tried all night long; Got the software installed and the directions they give are so unclear and uses different terms than what I see on various screens that I can not figure out how to get a RAW file into the “watch cha ma callit” to work with it. What's the deal on not being able to get raw files from this camera? Why don't they just come along with their jpg mates?

Please help a super dummy...
    :rofl ~Trish B~
  • Options
    SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited January 26, 2006
    to those trying to upload raw files from your camera to computer--

1) you are not dumb or moronic
    2) if you do figure out how to move raw from camera to computer you're a genius and/or geek of the highest order
    3) you're fairly intelligent if you get yourself a card reader

george
  • Options
    edited January 26, 2006
    Thank you, Thank you!
    gefillmore wrote:

2) if you do figure out how to move raw from camera to computer you're a genius and/or geek of the highest order

george

Thanks, George, I needed to hear that!clap.gif Both your support and advise!
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited January 26, 2006
    Thanks, George, I needed to hear that!clap.gif Both your support and advise!

wave.gif Hi Trish - so, are you in business? Need any help? ear.gif
  • Options
    StevenVStevenV Registered Users Posts: 1,174 Major grins
    edited January 26, 2006
    Are you saying that if I had a card reader I could magically upload my RAW files from my Canon 20D and actually see them and work with them in PhotoShop?

you'd be able to copy them from the memory card (removed from the camera and inserted into the card reader) directly to the computer.

You can get a single-card reader like this one (only reads CompactFlash, for example)
    1123777670.jpg
    and plug it into your computer, then it shows up as another "disk drive" type device

or there are readers that handle multiple types of cards, if you've got more than one camera (my Canon uses CF, for example, but my son's Sony uses MemorySticks... so I'd want a reader that can handle both).
  • Options
    edited January 26, 2006
    On my way to the first store that sells digital camera accessories!
    StevenV wrote:
    you'd be able to copy them from the memory card (removed from the camera and inserted into the card reader) directly to the computer.

You can get a single-card reader like this one (only reads CompactFlash, for example)
    1123777670.jpg
    and plug it into your computer, then it shows up as another "disk drive" type device

or there are readers that handle multiple types of cards, if you've got more than one camera (my Canon uses CF, for example, but my son's Sony uses MemorySticks... so I'd want a reader that can handle both).

On my way to the first store that sells digital camera accessories!

Thanks everybody...I don't want to reinvent the wheel, I'm not too proud to take the easy road!!! Laughing.gif, thanks a lot!
  • Options
    rallymaniacrallymaniac Registered Users Posts: 119 Major grins
    edited January 26, 2006
    gefillmore wrote:

george

ummm i don't know but it's a no brainer for me
    Took 2 RAW shots yesterday. Connected camera to comp via USB. Opened My Computer->Camera->folder on card, higlighted 2 pix, CTR+C, go to the folder you desire, CTR+V and you have your RAWs in the place you want. I hate using any software provided by any PC compatible equipment company. Just install the needed drivers and open the eqipment using windows explorer.
    I don't see any problem here ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    edited January 26, 2006
    congrats!

that either makes you a genius or I'm one dumb, moronic, sob---or both or somewhere inbetween-

george (dmsob)
  • Options
    rallymaniacrallymaniac Registered Users Posts: 119 Major grins
    edited January 26, 2006
    gefillmore wrote:
    congrats!

that either makes you a genius or I'm one dumb, moronic, sob---or both or somewhere inbetween-

george (dmsob)
    lol rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    edited January 26, 2006
    ----
  • Options
    cmasoncmason Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited January 26, 2006
    Hmm, my XT connects just fine to the PC, and since it is USB 2.0, same as a card reader, I don't see much difference in speed or compatibility. Just plug it in, and the RAW and JPEGs transfer to the PC, in new folder(s) by date.

In any case this would have no bearing on being able to see the RAW file. If you use Windows, you should download this from MS, as it allows Windows XP to natively display RAW files, full and as thumbnails:

Microsoft RAW Image Thumbnailer and Viewer