Options

Beautiful bride, first wedding of 2010..

zoomerzoomer Registered Users Posts: 3,688 Major grins
edited January 19, 2010 in Weddings
First wedding of 2010. At the local civic center...basically nothing of a venue. Like getting married at city hall.
Savanna is a ballet teacher and cheerleader for the local pro arena football team. Beautiful lady inside and out.
The entire event took 3 hours. Had a heck of a time finding a place to take pictures...finally just took them in the main lobby.
Battled with white balance the entire time, they had mixed lights and natural light in every room depending on where you were standing.
This is my first wedding with the 85 1.4 lens so that was kind of fun to play around with.
Found out my lens was backfocusing a bit...but all adjusted now....love that lens.
Anyway if you are interest here is a link:
http://alloutdoor.smugmug.com/Wedding-galleries/Savannah-and-Bruces-wedding-at/10971423_YPy6p#766860934_MwBTx

Comments

• Options
    WingsOfLovePhotoWingsOfLovePhoto Registered Users Posts: 797 Major grins
    edited January 17, 2010
    zoomer wrote:
    First wedding of 2010. At the local civic center...basically nothing of a venue. Like getting married at city hall.
    Savanna is a ballet teacher and cheerleader for the local pro arena football team. Beautiful lady inside and out.
    The entire event took 3 hours. Had a heck of a time finding a place to take pictures...finally just took them in the main lobby.
    Battled with white balance the entire time, they had mixed lights and natural light in every room depending on where you were standing.
    This is my first wedding with the 85 1.4 lens so that was kind of fun to play around with.
    Found out my lens was backfocusing a bit...but all adjusted now....love that lens.
    Anyway if you are interest here is a link:
    http://alloutdoor.smugmug.com/Wedding-galleries/Savannah-and-Bruces-wedding-at/10971423_YPy6p#766860934_MwBTx

Great stuff as always Zoomer! A few of the black and whites of the bride has a very vintage feel. I like! Wouldn't know you were having white balance problems at all! I just bought and tried the same lens for the first time today... Are there any secrets you would like to share? :D and... just a question with the the panorama crops... If you give them the disc to print from do most places print those sizes? I know I have ordered them from whcc but didn't know if just anyplace does them. Or is that a way you get some print sales?
    Snady :thumb
    my money well spent :D
    Nikon D4, D3s, D3, D700, Nikkor 24-70, 70-200 2.8 vrII, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.4, 105mm macro, sigma fisheye, SB 800's and lots of other goodies!
  • Options
    edited January 17, 2010
    Hi wings,
    Thanks for having a look..appreciate your comments.

I crop the photos however I feel they look best...I pay no attention at all to what size they are. 98% of the photos never see print so I just don't worry about it. Never had a complaint from a customer on the sizing...I always include the full sized uncropped photo on their disc as well.

The 85 f1.4. If you camera does not allow you to fine tune the focus of the lens for your camera I think it would be a very tough lens to use.
    I ended up dialing in 18 points of backfocus to get it to focus properly with my camera.....now it is sharp sharp even at f1.4.
    As you can imagine focus is CRITICAL. I shot a reception this last Saturday and shot everything in Continuous focus and all of my shots came out sharp so that may be the way to go.
    They call it the cream machine and I was very surprised by just how creamy it actually is....love it.
  • Options
    WingsOfLovePhotoWingsOfLovePhoto Registered Users Posts: 797 Major grins
    edited January 17, 2010
    zoomer wrote:
    Hi wings,
    Thanks for having a look..appreciate your comments.

I crop the photos however I feel they look best...I pay no attention at all to what size they are. 98% of the photos never see print so I just don't worry about it. Never had a complaint from a customer on the sizing...I always include the full sized uncropped photo on their disc as well.

The 85 f1.4. If you camera does not allow you to fine tune the focus of the lens for your camera I think it would be a very tough lens to use.
    I ended up dialing in 18 points of backfocus to get it to focus properly with my camera.....now it is sharp sharp even at f1.4.
    As you can imagine focus is CRITICAL. I shot a reception this last Saturday and shot everything in Continuous focus and all of my shots came out sharp so that may be the way to go.
    They call it the cream machine and I was very surprised by just how creamy it actually is....love it.

Thanks Zoomer.... but I guess I didn't know that you can fine tune the camera to the lens? I will use is mostly on the D3... can you tell me how you do that? I used it today on a pretty non moving subject with studio lighting and didn't have any problem, auto, single focus... they were nice a sharp but that was at f8 1/200. Will have to get out and try it elsewhere on the each fstop to see how it reacts for me.
    Snady :thumb
    my money well spent :D
    Nikon D4, D3s, D3, D700, Nikkor 24-70, 70-200 2.8 vrII, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.4, 105mm macro, sigma fisheye, SB 800's and lots of other goodies!
  • Options
    edited January 17, 2010
    on the d3
    Menu
    Go down to the little wrench
    go to AF fine tune
    There you can adjust the focus of your lens (if necessary)

To check mine I set little rocks on the carpet in my house at 10 20 30 40 feet across my living room, then I sit on the floor and shoot each rock to see if it is in focus. You can see the grain in the carpet and where your focus points are, do this at F1.4.
    Then fine tune your focus in the camera until all the rocks are in focus.

Most of my lenses have had some front or back focus adjustments needed.
  • Options
    sweet carolinesweet caroline Registered Users Posts: 1,589 Major grins
    edited January 19, 2010
    Nice work! That lens is on my list, so it's great to see what you were able to get out of it. The venue itslef was boring, but your photos were alive.

Caroline
  • Options
    edited January 19, 2010
    Nice work! That lens is on my list, so it's great to see what you were able to get out of it. The venue itslef was boring, but your photos were alive.

Caroline

Thanks Caroline.
    It is always a challenge to get good pictures in a venue like a city hall.
    Appreciate your comment.