10 girls, 1 1/2 hours

Joe DukovacJoe Dukovac Registered Users Posts: 213 Major grins
edited January 18, 2010 in People
So, I was asked to help out at my wife's church with a little project they were doing with the young women there. The idea was to do a photo shoot, nothing fancy, and then they are going to make a presentation in a couple weeks for the girls. So I agreed.

So last wednesday, I got to the church about 45 minutes early, and setup my equipment. I lined up the girls against the wall and gave them a number each from 1 to 10. When number 1 was done, then they would call out the next number and the following girl would come up. We did 3 different lighting setups, 3 different runs with all girls. The poses were the same with all the girls, as I didn't have much time to experiment and work with each girl.

I am attaching various shots and a video which will be presented at the beginning of the presentation, although it's a special surprise that they don't know about.

Anyhow, enjoy!

C&C always welcome!

Thank You,
Joe

765394845_ZgJrp-XL.jpg

765400394_df4RJ-XL.jpg

765382243_UKMyh-XL.jpg

765375968_KP4iG-XL.jpg

765380368_Zrosu-XL.jpg

765370051_RLT9J-XL.jpg

765374847_nHKdT-XL.jpg

765372486_yaPLp-XL.jpg

765360218_EPedJ-XL.jpg

765361190_wy2sp-XL.jpg

765367343_wnUdz-XL.jpg

765363770_6UvxA-XL.jpg
Joe
North View Studio
http://www.zoradphotography.com
Montreal, Canada

Comments

• l.k.madisonl.k.madison Registered Users Posts: 542 Major grins
    edited January 17, 2010
    Yowza!!! I mean... wow, such beautiful ladies.

Beautiful shots, you'd never know that was for a church project!!

I might print one of those out and bring it as an example next time I go get my hair cut - I'm serious!!
  • CyberSteakCyberSteak Registered Users Posts: 280 Major grins
    edited January 17, 2010
    They look really good to me. Question: Why did you choose to have them facing away from center of the photo in the horizontal shots (or why did you crop them that way)?
    http://www.betterphoto.com/Premium/Default.aspx?id=329340&mp=V1

Canon 40D, 28-135mm, 50mm f/1.8, 10-22mm, 70-300, 580 EXII, ST-E2, 500D Diopter
  • Joe DukovacJoe Dukovac Registered Users Posts: 213 Major grins
    edited January 17, 2010
    CyberSteak wrote:
    They look really good to me. Question: Why did you choose to have them facing away from center of the photo in the horizontal shots (or why did you crop them that way)?

I'm not sure what you mean in your question. Do you mean why do I have them with their bodies turned a bit to the left and their heads turned to the right?
    Joe
    North View Studio
    Montreal, Canada
    edited January 17, 2010
    Yowza!!! I mean... wow, such beautiful ladies.

Beautiful shots, you'd never know that was for a church project!!

I might print one of those out and bring it as an example next time I go get my hair cut - I'm serious!!

Thank you very much! You're more than welcome to print one out for your hairstylist rolleyes1.gif I sent the girls just a couple shots via facebook and most have already switched their profile pics Laughing.gif. Some of them think it's very "Twilight-ish". Oh well, that's that the kids like these days :D
    Joe
    North View Studio
    Montreal, Canada
    edited January 17, 2010
    I'm not sure what you mean in your question. Do you mean why do I have them with their bodies turned a bit to the left and their heads turned to the right?

They're all facing away from the center of the composition. Was told once that it's always best to have your subject facing in towards the composition. Was just curious why you chose to do it that way.

edited January 17, 2010
    Thank you very much! You're more than welcome to print one out for your hairstylist rolleyes1.gif I sent the girls just a couple shots via facebook and most have already switched their profile pics Laughing.gif. Some of them think it's very "Twilight-ish". Oh well, that's that the kids like these days :D

I don't see Twilight in them, but maybe it's just my it's-been-a-decade-since-I've-been-their-age self...

They're beautiful shots, I don't blame them for switching their profile pictures over, I'd do it!!

And I love Facebook and the "who took your picture, it's gorgeous" conversation starter ... it's the best word of mouth ever. And most of my gigs come from it anyway, so I won't complain. Of course, my own profile picture is a candid, not a "pro" shot, but that's ok :)

I didn't notice the "faces away from the center" until it was mentioned, I think you pulled off "breaking the rules" quite nicely.
    edited January 17, 2010
    CyberSteak wrote:
    They're all facing away from the center of the composition. Was told once that it's always best to have your subject facing in towards the composition. Was just curious why you chose to do it that way.

I wanted to put more light on the face & keep the shot off-centre. I looked at different poses with the girls, and this one felt very soft, so I went with it. I did some shot on another shoot where I did the landscape shot with the subject more off-centre and loved it, so I decided to re-create my shot here. I had a light camera left at 90 degrees from the subject to barely fill in some shadow. So I didn't want to lose too much detail from the face.

I try to follow some composition rules, or as I call them "guidelines" cause sometimes it's good and fun to break the rules :D
    Joe
    North View Studio
    Montreal, Canada
    edited January 17, 2010
    I don't see Twilight in them, but maybe it's just my it's-been-a-decade-since-I've-been-their-age self...

They're beautiful shots, I don't blame them for switching their profile pictures over, I'd do it!!

And I love Facebook and the "who took your picture, it's gorgeous" conversation starter ... it's the best word of mouth ever. And most of my gigs come from it anyway, so I won't complain. Of course, my own profile picture is a candid, not a "pro" shot, but that's ok :)

I didn't notice the "faces away from the center" until it was mentioned, I think you pulled off "breaking the rules" quite nicely.

Don't feel bad, I don't get the whole Twillight thing from these either, then again it's been about 2 decades since those days for me, maybe even 2 and a half decades rolleyes1.gif

I'm trying to get word of mouth out on Facebook also, seems to be a good way to get some exposure, not to mention the cost....free (at least for the most part) :D
    Joe
    North View Studio
    Montreal, Canada
    edited January 17, 2010
    Don't feel bad, I don't get the whole Twillight thing from these either, then again it's been about 2 decades since those days for me, maybe even 2 and a half decades rolleyes1.gif

I'm trying to get word of mouth out on Facebook also, seems to be a good way to get some exposure, not to mention the cost....free (at least for the most part) :D

I'm a Twilight fan myself, and I don't get it, but hey, if they like it, that's all that matters. Maybe it's because you made them look like the gorgeous, flawless Cullen vampires...

I took a shot of my in-law's celebrating their 50th anniversary in Chili's by sharing a malt (yes, like 'back in the day' with the two straws) and posted it on Facebook - the very first comment said "so, do you do weddings?" I don't know how she got the wedding feel from that, but I wasn't going to complain!!

We have a "we'll always shoot you for free because you advertise us" model we shoot about once every three months or so (she's great, she loves playing in the rain) so every time we post some of her pictures, we get a few more fans on Facebook from her friends finding the pictures. That tagging feature is a blessing in disguise.

I really love it when I shoot a "pre-wedding" for a friend and I tag the make-up artist in the shot, so now all of her potential brides can't help but see me, I haven't had any takers yet, but fingers crossed.

Odd story: I shot bridals and engagements for a friend of mine and while at her wedding, her GRANDMOTHER came up to me and said "I LOVED their pictures on Facebook, those were so great!" This woman's well into her 80s!
  • Mr. QuietMr. Quiet Registered Users Posts: 1,047 Major grins
    edited January 18, 2010
    CyberSteak wrote:

I think when you have the subject facing towards the center of composition, if they are not 100% comfortable in front of a lens, most, if not all, of their expressions will look forced, and/or posed.
    If you work at something hard enough, you WILL achieve your goal. "Me"

D200
    NIKKOR 50mm f/1.4 D
    Tamron SP AF90mm f/2.8 Di 1:1

Welcome to my NEW website!

Mr. Christoferson
  • Mr. QuietMr. Quiet Registered Users Posts: 1,047 Major grins
    edited January 18, 2010
    One and seven are great! Out of all of them, she is the most relaxed, IMHO.
    If you work at something hard enough, you WILL achieve your goal. "Me"

D200
    NIKKOR 50mm f/1.4 D
    Tamron SP AF90mm f/2.8 Di 1:1

Welcome to my NEW website!

Mr. Christoferson
  • lfortierlfortier Registered Users Posts: 237 Major grins
    edited January 18, 2010
    WOW! So many beautiful girls all in one place.

You did a fantastic job on all of them. They should be thrilled.

Love all the unique poses!
  • metmet Registered Users Posts: 405 Major grins
    edited January 18, 2010
    I really like the lighting on the horizontal shots.
  • CTUphotoCTUphoto Registered Users Posts: 131 Major grins
    edited January 18, 2010
    simply awesome
    Great work all around. thumb.gifthumb.gif I'm curious what your set up was for several of the shots (1,3,4,5). I was trying to decipher it based on the catchlights in the eyes.

~jb
    Justin Benson
    CTU Photography
    edited January 18, 2010
    Mr. Quiet wrote:
    One and seven are great! Out of all of them, she is the most relaxed, IMHO.

She and I did some work before, whereas the others was their first time. She is just a laid back girl to begin with. mwink.gif
    Joe
    North View Studio
    Montreal, Canada
    edited January 18, 2010
    CTUphoto wrote:
    Great work all around. thumb.gifthumb.gif I'm curious what your set up was for several of the shots (1,3,4,5). I was trying to decipher it based on the catchlights in the eyes.

~jb

The lighting setup was actually extremely simple. I had two lights directly in front of the subject above and below the camera, with the shot being straight through. Then I had one light with a 20 degree honeycomb grid behind at about 45 degrees pointing downwards as a separation light.
    Joe
    North View Studio
    Montreal, Canada
    edited January 18, 2010
    thank you all for your comments! I appreciate it! clap.gif
    Joe
    North View Studio
    Montreal, Canada
    edited January 18, 2010
    Mr. Quiet wrote:
    I think when you have the subject facing towards the center of composition, if they are not 100% comfortable in front of a lens, most, if not all, of their expressions will look forced, and/or posed.

How would they know if they're facing the center of the composition to feel uncomfortable?

One could easily crop the picture so that they are facing in towards center.

• Darren Troy CDarren Troy C Registered Users Posts: 1,927 Major grins
    edited January 18, 2010
    6 and 7 are fantastic! Some of the skin smoothing is causing really weird looking eyes.....to me. Just an opinion, but some of them look to "done".