Question for printing for contest

RBrogenRBrogen Registered Users Posts: 1,518 Major grins
edited January 19, 2010 in SmugMug Pro Sales Support
Hey all,

I'm entering a print competition where I need to conform to strict size and thickness requirements. The size I am good to go on which is all prints need to be 16x20 but the print has to be mounted on foam core or mount board. I know of the "gator board" that we have available but my understanding is that it causes the print to have a texture to it which is not what I want. My question is am I mistaken about the gator board and if not how do I go about getting the appropriate foam core or mount board that when finished with the print will be between 1/8" and 3/16" in overall thickness? I appreciate any assistance.

Best,
Randy
Randy Brogen, CPP
www.brogen.com

Member: PPA , PPANE, PPAM & NAPP

Comments

• AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited January 17, 2010
    Randy, there's no texture here
    http://www.smugmug.com/prints/mounted-prints
  • RBrogenRBrogen Registered Users Posts: 1,518 Major grins
    edited January 17, 2010
    Andy wrote:
    Randy, there's no texture here
    http://www.smugmug.com/prints/mounted-prints

Thank you Andy...one last question on this...I notice that they come ready to hang....however I have to shop the prints in a salon case so I wanted to know are the mounting blocks on the back of the board removable?
    Randy Brogen, CPP
    www.brogen.com

edited January 17, 2010
    RBrogen wrote:
    Thank you Andy...one last question on this...I notice that they come ready to hang....however I have to shop the prints in a salon case so I wanted to know are the mounting blocks on the back of the board removable?
    Yes, they are thumb.gif A butter knife would do the trick.
    edited January 17, 2010
    Andy wrote:

Sounds perfect.....I assume that can be as easily re-attached? :)
    Randy Brogen, CPP
    www.brogen.com

edited January 18, 2010
    RBrogen wrote:
    Sounds perfect.....I assume that can be as easily re-attached? :)
    Sure. Glue deal.gif
  • Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited January 18, 2010
    [ quote=RBrogen] Originally Posted by RBrogen
    Thank you Andy...one last question on this...I notice that they come ready to hang....however I have to shop the prints in a salon case so I wanted to know are the mounting blocks on the back of the board removable? [/quote]

Andy wrote:

Could you ask that they are not attached at all??
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

edited January 18, 2010
    Art Scott wrote:

Could you ask that they are not attached at all??
    No, we're just not set up for that yet. We will be, one day, but not today.
  • takeflightphototakeflightphoto Registered Users Posts: 194 Major grins
    edited January 18, 2010
    Art Scott wrote:
    [ quote=RBrogen] Originally Posted by RBrogen

Could you ask that they are not attached at all??[/QUOTE]

In this case, I'd purchase direct from BAY. Their ROES has a category for contest prints that appears to meet all the requirement for this specialized use. I don't think that many contests allow for the 'floating' type of mount, but rather, they hang them flush against a common backdrop for viewing under quite harsh lighting conditions.

Quote from the BayPhoto ROES:
    "Bay Photo's award-winning Competition Prints are individually created by our most experienced technicians, providing maximum impact. Printed on Kodak Endura Glossy Paper; Metallic and Fuji High Gloss are optional. Mounted on strong and durable foamboard that meets competition standards. Prints ordered through the Full Color Correction version of Bay ROES are adjusted for competition lighting, which is about 20% darker than for normal viewing. 16x20 Mounted Competition Prints starting at $28.75!

"We know competition prints are a reflection of you, so we want to make them look as good as possible for the judges, this means we may require additional time to create these stunning prints. Please allow for longer turnaround times."

Hope that helps.

jon
  • Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited January 18, 2010
    I have worked local (camera club) and internation salons (PSA salons) and the prints were simply placed on an easel for viewing one at a time........or laid out on tables for the judges to circulate around them making their grade on the "report cards".......and then when they are hung for public viewing (city library or Art Museum) they are hung with pins above and below.....nothing thru the mats or photos........of course every salon is different by local and how wealthy the hosting group ismwink.gifwinkmwink.gif
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

edited January 19, 2010
    Thanks for all of the great info. I can't wait to see the prints when they get here!
    Randy Brogen, CPP
    www.brogen.com