Options

putting multiple pictures together

goldilocksandmy3bearsgoldilocksandmy3bears Registered Users Posts: 423 Major grins
edited January 19, 2010 in Finishing School
I dont know how to explain what I want to do other than in a lot of words.. sorry.
What I'm hoping someone could help me with is I want to take several pictures of my son making different faces then put them all onto one image (kind of like a panoramic picture) I am working in CS4. Planning on using a white or black background so when i put the faces together they look as if they are part of one image.. does that make sense?? :dunno
Courtney

Comments

• Options
    Nikonic1Nikonic1 Registered Users Posts: 684 Major grins
    edited January 17, 2010
    Are you trying to do something like can be found in the Triptych Challenge Thread?

http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=154564
  • Options
    goldilocksandmy3bearsgoldilocksandmy3bears Registered Users Posts: 423 Major grins
    edited January 18, 2010
    Nikonic1 wrote:
    Are you trying to do something like can be found in the Triptych Challenge Thread?

http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=154564
    not quite
    This is exactly what I want to do. but with different facial expressions.
    Courtney
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited January 18, 2010
    You will have to select each image with the selection tools of your choice - pen, quick selection tool, or magnetic lasso, or whatever, and then drag the selection to your new background you have created in Photoshop, with ctrl-v.

You can use what ever background pleases you - kind of like this

48701173_oMmQP-L.jpg
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited January 18, 2010
    Basically you want to create a new document with whatever dimensions you want and background color if desired then using layers bring in all the elements (different photos of your son) with each element on it's own layer.

Then comes the fun stuff. Each element can be processed to be similar in exposure, color balance or different depending on your vision. Mask of whatever you don't need in each element. When each element is processed and masked then start moving them around for composition. When you have the composition you like return to the masks and blend in the elements to taste.

You will need to practice.

I have posted this before but it does demonstrate the technique I tried to describe. This image has 15 different layers.

Sam
  • Options
    WingsOfLovePhotoWingsOfLovePhoto Registered Users Posts: 797 Major grins
    edited January 18, 2010
    I do this all the time. I find the easiest way for me is to:

choose file.... new
    when asked dimensions choose photo then enter dimensions like 10 height by 20 wide. (that is kinda panoramic) I believe white is the default color but if you want black just use the paint bucket tool and fill in black over the white once it is open in photoshop

If your pictures are already on black or white background you can just use the selection tool or crop tool to isolate the part of the picture you want.

Then with the arrow tool just slide the picture over onto your empty one.

Do this with each picture...they will each become their own layer.

You can adjust them as needed using the arrow tool. To adjust each one you will need to make sure their layer is highlighted in your layers pallet.

It is much easier and quicker than it sounds. The tricky part is if you need to change the backgrounds or isolate the subject from them first. .....

Does this make sense? I am sure there are people who do it differently but this is what works best for me...
    Snady :thumb
    my money well spent :D
    Nikon D4, D3s, D3, D700, Nikkor 24-70, 70-200 2.8 vrII, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.4, 105mm macro, sigma fisheye, SB 800's and lots of other goodies!
  • Options
    BinaryFxBinaryFx Registered Users Posts: 707 Major grins
    edited January 18, 2010
    Another option, is to use the file/place command to bring in the separate images as smart object layers, instead of a regular layer (even more so if these are raw files). File size will be larger using smart objects, however the extra flexibility may well be worth it.

Regards,

Stephen Marsh

http://members.ozemail.com.au/~binaryfx/
    http://prepression.blogspot.com/
  • Options
    edited January 19, 2010
    thank you! sounds pretty easy especially if i have the background all the same color (in the picture) to begin w/.
    Thanks!!
    Courtney
    Courtney