Options

should I fix it?

joshhuntnmjoshhuntnm Registered Users Posts: 1,924 Major grins
edited January 18, 2010 in Weddings
i sent me XTI off for repair. $225 to repair the bracket that holds the flash. I am not sure an XTI is worth a $225 repair.

I hope to get a 7d one of the days, but we are not there today.

One thought is to get a flash bracket. there are a lots of options on that, but one I am looking at is $130. Not sure I will like the whole bracket deal.

Another thought is to replace the XTI with, say an XSI or X1 until I can afford the 7.

just can't decide.

Your thoughts?

Comments

• Options
    cj99sicj99si Registered Users Posts: 880 Major grins
    edited January 18, 2010
    Cant you trade it for a 30d for around 500 through Canon?
  • Options
    divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited January 18, 2010
    CHeck out the Canon loyalty program - I believe that if you send them your broken xti, you can purchase a refurb 50d for ~$600. There are threads about the program at fatwallet.com, and also potn.
  • Options
    Nikonic1Nikonic1 Registered Users Posts: 684 Major grins
    edited January 18, 2010
    divamum wrote:
    CHeck out the Canon loyalty program - I believe that if you send them your broken xti, you can purchase a refurb 50d for ~$600. There are threads about the program at fatwallet.com, and also potn.

Wow, that's a deal. wings.gif
  • Options
    edited January 18, 2010
    Nikonic1 wrote:
    Wow, that's a deal. wings.gif

its actually 669:
    As an alternative to repair you may now purchase a refurbished EOS REBEL XS (BLACK) for $359 or a EOS 50D for $669. Call our Customer Care desk at 1-866-443-8002 for more details.

Amazon has the 5d for $929, so they are, in essence giving you $260 for the camera.
  • Options
    edited January 18, 2010
    joshhuntnm wrote:
    Amazon has the 5d for $929, so they are, in essence giving you $260 for the camera.

Sounds like a decent deal to me since it'll be an upgrade in body (I think, not a Canon guy) and you'd be offloading a broken body that you said is likely not worth what it will cost to fix.

Obviously, your personal financial situation will dictate just how good this deal is:D
  • Options
    l.k.madisonl.k.madison Registered Users Posts: 542 Major grins
    edited January 18, 2010
    joshhuntnm wrote:
    its actually 669:
    As an alternative to repair you may now purchase a refurbished EOS REBEL XS (BLACK) for $359 or a EOS 50D for $669. Call our Customer Care desk at 1-866-443-8002 for more details.

Canon's got some great customer service. Husband purchased a CanoScan from them last summer (mainly for scanning negatives, he still shoots film) and in the middle of scanning a photo shoot, it just quit working. He said a few words I can't repeat and got REALLY aggravated at the less than a year old scanner. The next morning, called them, and within minutes they had a new one on the way!! Granted, we have to return the old one, but that's no big deal, just changing out stickers on the box the new one came in!!
  • Options
    edited January 18, 2010
    Canon's got some great customer service. Husband purchased a CanoScan from them last summer (mainly for scanning negatives, he still shoots film) and in the middle of scanning a photo shoot, it just quit working. He said a few words I can't repeat and got REALLY aggravated at the less than a year old scanner. The next morning, called them, and within minutes they had a new one on the way!! Granted, we have to return the old one, but that's no big deal, just changing out stickers on the box the new one came in!!

yeah, odd thing, they fixed this same problem 4 months ago for free. of course, then, it broke again. I think I need to be more careful!
  • Options
    l.k.madisonl.k.madison Registered Users Posts: 542 Major grins
    edited January 18, 2010
    joshhuntnm wrote:
    yeah, odd thing, they fixed this same problem 4 months ago for free. of course, then, it broke again. I think I need to be more careful!

maybe I shouldn't tell hubby that, he LOVES his scanner.

Or is it the fact that he can scan a negative and get a higher res with a bigger picture than I can with my 40D? I'm thinking that's the reason why :D
  • Options
    DanspageDanspage Registered Users Posts: 196 Major grins
    edited January 18, 2010
    Look for "digic 4 processor" it will open up your low light photography. Nice grain even at 1600iso and up.
    EOS 500D/Rebel T1i = about 750.00 , EOS 50D = about 1000.00

"Dont even think about the 40D it uses digic 3."

""DIGIC 4

In 2008, Canon introduced the new DIGIC 4 processor, used by the EOS 500D/Rebel T1i, EOS 50D and EOS 5D Mark II, as well as some new PowerShot cameras.
    Dual DIGIC 4 processors are used in the EOS 7D & EOS-1D Mark IV.
    Canon claims improvements such as:
    • Much faster image processing when compared to previous processors
    • Improved noise reduction in high-ISO images
    • Improved performance while handling larger 14-bit RAW images
    • Live Face Detection AF during Live View
    • H.264 1080p encoding.<sup id="cite_ref-5" class="reference"></sup>""
    Daniel
    http://danspage.smugmug.com/
    Scratch Nikon I switched to
    Canon 5d mark II
  • Options
    TNTATCTNTATC Registered Users Posts: 53 Big grins
    edited January 18, 2010
    I would say it's not worth fixing at that price. The xti isnt worth much these days expesially if it does not havce the batter grip. I would just sell it to someone who would spend the money to fix it and put that money towards one of the newer model cameras.
  • Options
    edited January 18, 2010
    i have pretty much decided to trade up to the 50D. thanks for the input, everyone.
  • Options
    edited January 18, 2010
    joshhuntnm wrote:
    i have pretty much decided to trade up to the 50D. thanks for the input, everyone.

thumb.gifthumbthumb.gifthumbGood choice. New body, no issues, warranty, no waste money. Can't see a fault in this choice unless it would really stretch finances. Enjoy the new hardware wings.gif
  • Options
    edited January 18, 2010
    Nikonic1 wrote:
    thumb.gifthumbthumb.gifthumbGood choice. New body, no issues, warranty, no waste money. Can't see a fault in this choice unless it would really stretch finances. Enjoy the new hardware wings.gif

it will be here Wednesday.