Options

DSS 42 - After the thaw, C&C please

AndManAndMan Registered Users Posts: 1,252 Major grins
edited January 25, 2010 in The Dgrin Challenges
Took these yesterday near the local river which has flooded after the thaw.

Do any of these work?

766829873_4Zuxj-L-1.jpg

766832577_vfdAU-L-1.jpg

For information the water here was nearly 2ft deep on the banks and by my rough calculations moving at 3-4 mph.
766820147_JE38a-L-1.jpg

766802758_hyjJg-L-2.jpg

766800547_obKgR-L-1.jpg
Peter

www.andmanphotography.com

Facebook Fan Page

"Landscape photography is the supreme test of the photographer - and often the supreme disappointment." Ansel Adams

Comments

• Options
    MikeKMikeK Registered Users Posts: 227 Major grins
    edited January 18, 2010
    I like #1 the best. The converging angles of the tree trunks and picnic tables is interesting. #2 is the wrong angle.

#4 is interesting, but I can't figure out what is jutting in on the left, and I think it is too wide a view for this topic.
  • Options
    sunflowerstudiosunflowerstudio Registered Users Posts: 145 Major grins
    edited January 18, 2010
    #1 for me, too. It's the clearest on telling a "story", that there's been a significant flood.

#5 might have potential, but the framing composition doesn't seem quite right. One's eye isn't drawn to the important parts of the picture.
  • Options
    rainbowrainbow Registered Users Posts: 2,765 Major grins
    edited January 18, 2010
    I like #5. The others show the place inundated. #5 shows a person having to cope with the water. Not sure if the square crop if best -- are there other cropping options on the original?
  • Options
    anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
    edited January 19, 2010
    #5. The rest are nice but they really don't tell me that something unusual or news worthy has happened here. It just looks like a local pond or other body of water. #5 actually tells me that there has been some flooding. Very good capture.
    "I'm not yelling. I'm Cuban. That's how we talk."

Moderator of the People and Go Figure forums

My Smug Site
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Registered Users Posts: 227 Major grins
    edited January 19, 2010
    I do like the personal interaction of #5, but it takes me a minute looking around to figure out what is going on. Could just be someone riding through a puddle on the street. #1 tells the story instantly. But no people, if you care.
  • Options
    anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
    edited January 19, 2010
    MikeK wrote:
    I do like the personal interaction of #5, but it takes me a minute looking around to figure out what is going on. Could just be someone riding through a puddle on the street. #1 tells the story instantly. But no people, if you care.

Interesting... I completely see the opposite here. The first few images are nicely composed shots of a pond or lake or some other body of water. I could not even tell that the thing in the middle is a picnic table at first. Honestly, I still have trouble seeing it in shots #2-4. They are too artistically composed. They look more like nice landscape shots. #1... yes, I can see it's a picnic table half submerged but so what? Really doesn't put things in context like #5 does.

In #5 I see the gal riding through a completely submerged street. I know it's not a merely a puddle because the street light is submerged and so is the picnic table in the foreground. The person in the shot brings the other elements into context and makes the setting seems unnatural. Like something happened here that isn't right. The story is complete. The other shots, IMO, tell no story.
    "I'm not yelling. I'm Cuban. That's how we talk."

Moderator of the People and Go Figure forums

My Smug Site
  • Options
    edited January 22, 2010
    MikeK wrote:
    I like #1 the best. The converging angles of the tree trunks and picnic tables is interesting. #2 is the wrong angle.

#4 is interesting, but I can't figure out what is jutting in on the left, and I think it is too wide a view for this topic.
    Thanks for the feedback Mike. #4 is probably more landscape than PJ, the thing jutting in is the kerb leading into a submerged car park.
    Peter

Facebook Fan Page

"Landscape photography is the supreme test of the photographer - and often the supreme disappointment." Ansel Adams
  • Options
    edited January 22, 2010
    #1 for me, too. It's the clearest on telling a "story", that there's been a significant flood.

#5 might have potential, but the framing composition doesn't seem quite right. One's eye isn't drawn to the important parts of the picture.
    Thanks for the feedback, unfortunately the framing & comp on #5 were dictated by the surrounding trees and the flooded ground between me & her.
    Peter

Facebook Fan Page

• Options
    edited January 22, 2010
    rainbow wrote:
    I like #5. The others show the place inundated. #5 shows a person having to cope with the water. Not sure if the square crop if best -- are there other cropping options on the original?
    Thanks for the feedback rainbow. The square crop was forced by the trees I was shooting through.
    Peter

Facebook Fan Page

• Options
    edited January 22, 2010
    #5. The rest are nice but they really don't tell me that something unusual or news worthy has happened here. It just looks like a local pond or other body of water. #5 actually tells me that there has been some flooding. Very good capture.
    Thanks Alex.
    Peter

Facebook Fan Page

• Options
    AirThomAirThom Registered Users Posts: 153 Major grins
    edited January 22, 2010
    MikeK wrote:

I agree on all points. Great stuff Peter!
  • Options
    MachineAgeMachineAge Registered Users Posts: 17 Big grins
    edited January 23, 2010
    I like 1 but also 3 if perhaps cropped a little closer to the bench (and depending on how much the bench separates from the bg when you get closer). But probably 1.

5 is fine but story-wise it's all right there in front of you leaving little to the imagination. I think 1 does a much better job of point out the flood situation because seeing those forlorn tables and benches implies that there's a lot more around the area that has been covered by water...makes you wonder what the area was like before the flood.

In 5, I engaged just long enough to see the photo and then moved on.
  • Options
    edited January 25, 2010
    AirThom wrote:
    I agree on all points. Great stuff Peter!
    Thanks for the feedback.
    Peter

Facebook Fan Page

• Options
    edited January 25, 2010
    MachineAge wrote:
    I like 1 but also 3 if perhaps cropped a little closer to the bench (and depending on how much the bench separates from the bg when you get closer). But probably 1.

5 is fine but story-wise it's all right there in front of you leaving little to the imagination. I think 1 does a much better job of point out the flood situation because seeing those forlorn tables and benches implies that there's a lot more around the area that has been covered by water...makes you wonder what the area was like before the flood.

In 5, I engaged just long enough to see the photo and then moved on.
    Thanks for taking the time to comment in detail, it is much appreciated.
    Peter

Facebook Fan Page