Just one for C&C

RacinRandyRacinRandy Registered Users Posts: 187 Major grins
edited January 18, 2010 in People
Got a new 50mm 1.8 II and was anxious to try it out. I took my camera to the Bar Friday night and was shooting Available light. Got this one of a woman shooting pool. I really like it, The focus is a little soft but i think it adds to the shot.

766030587_wTmbU-M.jpg

What am I missing?:scratch:dunno
Randy

EOS Rebel XS Digital/ EOS 7D/ EOS 6D
50mm f1.8/ Tamron 70-200 f2.8 is/ 24-105 f4L
Canon speedlights and Alien Bees

Comments

• Darren Troy CDarren Troy C Registered Users Posts: 1,927 Major grins
    edited January 18, 2010
    Just some honest C&C here. I don't think the soft (out of focus) balance here adds anything at all to the photograph. She's looking directly at the camera...meaning the intent was to capture "her". Now, if there was a brightly colored, in-focus pool ball in front of that cue, then maybe. Seems like your WB was off as well. (harsh orange cast) Your bokeh is great because of the small DOF. However, something in this image REALLY needs to be the focal point. It seems, for the most part, this image conveys a photograph that is simply "not in focus". Just an opinion from my perspective...hope it helps somewhat! thumb.gif
  • Nikonic1Nikonic1 Registered Users Posts: 684 Major grins
    edited January 18, 2010
    Just some honest C&C here. I don't think the soft (out of focus) balance here adds anything at all to the photograph. She's looking directly at the camera...meaning the intent was to capture "her". Now, if there was a brightly colored, in-focus pool ball in front of that cue, then maybe. Seems like your WB was off as well. (harsh orange cast) Your bokeh is great because of the small DOF. However, something in this image REALLY needs to be the focal point. It seems, for the most part, this image conveys a photograph that is simply "not in focus". Just an opinion from my perspective...hope it helps somewhat! thumb.gif

15524779-Ti.gif This seems to be a good assessment.
  • craig_dcraig_d Registered Users Posts: 911 Major grins
    edited January 18, 2010
    This would be nice if her face were in perfect focus and her left sleeve wasn't blown out (that is, the sleeve that's extended out onto the table). As it is... good idea, but it's not quite there. I think it might also have been better to shift the camera a little to the right, moving her a little to the left in the composition and making the cut-off billiard ball on the right fully visible (with a little margin of green beyond it... and hopefully that change wouldn't simply make another ball half-visible).
    http://craigd.smugmug.com

Got bored with digital and went back to film.
  • RacinRandyRacinRandy Registered Users Posts: 187 Major grins
    edited January 18, 2010

The Bummer was she wasn't look when i hit the shutter... Booo. This is actually sooc so Ill take another look at it and try some post stuff and see wehere it goes.
    Randy

• RacinRandyRacinRandy Registered Users Posts: 187 Major grins
    edited January 18, 2010
    craig_d wrote:
    This would be nice if her face were in perfect focus and her left sleeve wasn't blown out (that is, the sleeve that's extended out onto the table). As it is... good idea, but it's not quite there. I think it might also have been better to shift the camera a little to the right, moving her a little to the left in the composition and making the cut-off billiard ball on the right fully visible (with a little margin of green beyond it... and hopefully that change wouldn't simply make another ball half-visible).

I looked Back and the SOOC shot is as shown with the exception of a slight crop off the left of the frame.

Here is another of the same woman from that night.
    766030626_GAQ7x-M.jpg
    Randy