edited January 21, 2010 in The Dgrin Challenges
Opinions?

768091175_atpVw-L.jpg

Comments

• Options
    ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
    edited January 18, 2010
    A very nice environmental portrait.

What's causing the halo? Might want to be more subtle about that.
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    JAGJAG Super Moderators Posts: 9,088 moderator
    edited January 20, 2010
    very nice portrait. The lighting looks like a set up though and not seeing a photojounalistic approach here...which is suppose to not be set up. She is a cutie though!
  • Options
    mblondemblonde Registered Users Posts: 22 Big grins
    edited January 21, 2010
    beautiful lighting, i like the vignette... and it's really a great portrait of an adorable child. I wouldn't really call it photojournalistic style though. Wonderful portrait!
    MATT BLONDE
    P H O T O G R A P H Y
    mblonde.smugmug.com
    MattBlondePhoto@cox.net
  • Options
    lilmommalilmomma Registered Users Posts: 1,060 Major grins
    edited January 21, 2010
    thanks for the comments...I guess it does look like more of a portrait, but at the time it didn't seem so. I was going more for candid. She was painting a miniature tea set and was so into it she barely looked up. The light is not setup at all, no flashes. All available light from my kitchen and then the paper underneath the paint stuff reflected it up on her face.

hmmm guess i need to venture out of my house, huh?!
  • Options
    MachineAgeMachineAge Registered Users Posts: 17 Big grins
    edited January 21, 2010
    Is there one that has the cup she's painting in sharper focus? Your eye goes there since she's so focused on it. I wonder if the other way to go would have been to get down low and shoot past the teacup into her face (putting the teacup more in line w/her face I mean). Then you would want the teacup oof so you go right to her face.

Nice use of avail light.
  • Options
    TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
    edited January 21, 2010
    why cant I ever get shots of my kids like this??headscratch.gif dang it, thats a good one!
    Aaron Nelson
  • Options
    lizzard_nyclizzard_nyc Registered Users Posts: 4,056 Major grins
    edited January 21, 2010
    You posted something similar in "People" a while ago--I think the reason it worked so well is because it was a series.
    Do you have several shots from this day--
    Can you do a triptych? I think if I remember correctly this was allowed (double check).
    As a series it was great documenation of her helping bake cookies.thumb.gif
    Liz A.
    _________
  • Options
    lilmommalilmomma Registered Users Posts: 1,060 Major grins
    edited January 21, 2010
    yes guilty for trying to do something similar! I took a bunch, so i'll check out the rules for the tryptich. thanks Liz, MachineAge and Aaron :D
  • Options
    lizzard_nyclizzard_nyc Registered Users Posts: 4,056 Major grins
    edited January 21, 2010
    lilmomma wrote:
    yes guilty for trying to do something similar! I took a bunch, so i'll check out the rules for the tryptich. thanks Liz, MachineAge and Aaron :D

Not guilty--it's a good idea.
    I myself love to record those "small moments"--not posed--just catching them off guard in a real moment--I think those will be the photos I treasure in the future. The ones that capture their real personality--so keep it up.
    Liz A.
    _________