Options

Bridal Portraits - Good or Bad Idea?

metmet Registered Users Posts: 405 Major grins
edited January 20, 2010 in Weddings
I had a idea that I think it could prove to be either a really nice mutually beneficial arrangement or a complete disaster. I was curious to get some seasoned pro's opinions.

My Background and Experience: I've shot some wedding pictures as a guest at my cousin's wedding and as a favor for a friend so I'm no wedding photographer, but I think my portrait work has come along way in the past couple months. I'm currently in the building portfolio/trying to decide if I want to make the transition from enthusiast to paid pro phase.

My Idea: There are a lot of bridal photography horror stories of women that have no decent bridal portraits (my sister-in-law being one of them which she laments to this day) because they made the mistake of allowing a friend to shoot the pictures, not having funds to hire a decent photog, etc who in hindsight wish they had done things differently. So my idea was to offer a bride only (maybe groom if they really, really wanted) outdoor shoot to a few of these women when the weather gets nicer. It would be women that have gotten married within the past few years (whose dresses are still current, etc), last maybe 45-60 min. with an end result of 25-30 or so images. Sitting fee would be my gift to them for helping me build my portfolio. I would set up an online gallery and they (or mom) could buy prints or a disk if they so choose. I was going to do this for my sister-in-law, but she's now pregnant so it may have to wait awhile.

My Goal: My goal isn't to create a portfolio based on a controlled portrait environment that I can use to sell wedding packages without knowing anything about the wedding photography business. But it would be nice for some of these ladies to have some decent bridal portraits and then I could have some images to show other photographers to get my foot in the door for second shooting, etc. It probably wouldn't be too lucrative but hopefully a great learning experience. If they buy some prints or the disk to cover my time and a little extra that would be an added bonus, too.

I can see some of the potential problems, but what do you guys think?

Here are a couple examples what my children's portraits are like.
759392164_cAnBi-L.jpg

719943869_zMrGn-L.jpg

Comments

• Options
    tenoverthenosetenoverthenose Registered Users Posts: 815 Major grins
    edited January 19, 2010
    I'm a huge fan of setting up modeling shoots. They are like a creative playground for me where I can experiment outside of the pressures of a wedding day.

If your end goal is to make money by producing "day-after" shoots for couples who are not pleased with their photos, I would say not to do it. Couples who didn't want to spend the money the first time around are probably not the best clients to market to. But it sounds like you are going into this for the learning and experience of working with brides, in which case I think it's a great idea! Have ideas in your mind to work through before the shoot and direct the shoot to your advantage (you don't have to make it back in time for the reception...) Just remember, as a business decision it can be hard to raise your prices from free (this is one reason I hire models).

My one note (as I do lots of shoots like this) is to consider hiring/working with a hair and makeup stylist. Without professional hair and makeup, the photos just do not look like wedding photos. Perhaps you could get a local stylist to work with you in exchange for shots for their portfolio?
  • Options
    sweet carolinesweet caroline Registered Users Posts: 1,589 Major grins
    edited January 19, 2010
    I've done a few of these with people I know who just didn't do a bridal portrait, and then later got harassed by a mom or in-law! It's fun and low pressure. Working with adults is much different than working with children, so the experience would be good for you. It wouldn't hurt your portfolio, especially if you approach another photographer for second shooting opportunities. It goes without saying that you would explain your controlled circumstances, but it could still show your eye for angles and details.

Caroline
  • Options
    Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited January 20, 2010
    I've always had this kind of mentality towards the low-budget brides who simply cannot afford a quality photographer for their entire wedding day: Rather than spend $1000 on a crappy Craigslist photographer because you want to get your entire day covered, and an album, and all that, ...spend $500-$750 on an AMAZING portrait session. Because in 20 years, the portraits are what will matter. And the portraits are where you will see the most stark difference between someone who has no clue what they're doing, and a master.

Sounds like we have the same philosophy, and I hope other photographers share and spread this mentality! I haven't had the chance to shoot a bride in this type of predicament, (having already gotten bad wedding photos) however I have shot bridal portraits with some couples in advance of their wedding, couples who couldn't book me in general because I was un-available or out of their price range...

=Matt=
    My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
    My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum
  • Options
    l.k.madisonl.k.madison Registered Users Posts: 542 Major grins
    edited January 20, 2010
    No offense to those pros who get *every* shot during a wedding, but does anybody *really* buy the posed shots of the B and G with the grandparents or with the parents? They might get a 5x7, but rarely anything bigger. We don't have a single print larger than a 4x6 from our wedding, they're all tucked away in an album in the closet. My bridals, on the other hand, we have those in various places in the house, again, no huge prints, but at least we display those.

My aunt and uncle got married 25 years ago, of course, wedding shot on film and after the wedding, the photog said the pictures "didn't come out" so for their first anniversary, they got all dolled up again and went to a studio to have some shots taken. My aunt said in retrospect she had more fun the second time go 'round, it was a lot less stressful and everybody kept congratulating them when they'd already been married a year.

All in all, I think it's a great idea, honestly. It'll help you get the experience but without all the stress of having to deal with crazy mother-in-laws and relatives "under the influence". Even if the bride comes to you two weeks after her wedding, she'll be way more relaxed and easier to pose and more likely to try something different.
  • Options
    heatherfeatherheatherfeather Registered Users Posts: 2,738 Major grins
    edited January 20, 2010
    does anybody *really* buy the posed shots of the B and G with the grandparents or with the parents?

Funny thing is... that is what the grandparents buy. And they almost ALWAYS do. Even if the bride and groom have the disc, and all the prints... grandparents will buy an additional large prints of them with the bride and groom. Grandparents aren't really interested in the bridals, but they love the "proof they were there" photos. Me... I like the bridals.
  • Options
    ShepsMomShepsMom Registered Users Posts: 4,319 Major grins
    edited January 20, 2010
    In my experience, they bought nothing but family portraits. No candids, no fun shots, none of that. Those are for scrapbooks, not for the walls. With that said, i think it's a wonderful idea, and they will appreciate a nice set of beautiful portraits
    Best of luck! thumb.gif
    Marina
    www.intruecolors.com
    Nikon D700 x2/D300
    Nikon 70-200 2.8/50 1.8/85 1.8/14.24 2.8