1st studio session.... too warm?

blondineblondine Registered Users Posts: 13 Big grins
edited January 29, 2010 in People
OK.... so I've been snopping....admiring for a little while and figured I'd post a few from my first session in studio. Although I've been shooting for a long time with natural light, studio has always been my "fear" I had nightmares about this session for a week before I shot it.

our assignment: in studio session and printing them to an 8x10 with color correction and touch-up..... I would like to get additional thoughts on these images (teacher commented they where too warm "although that tends to be how my images end up", also he noted I should have done more touch-ups, I feel she is naturally gorgeous, and I happen to love freckles so the skin was something I was happy with....how much do you touch-up or photoshop skin?

oh and yes one background is suppose to be white the other I wanted a soft grey...
jo-1-blog1.jpeg
jo-2-blog.jpeg

Comments

• blondineblondine Registered Users Posts: 13 Big grins
    edited January 19, 2010
    YIKE'S.... how do I downsize the images? they are much smaller on my blog at:

http://blondinemcronaldphotography.wordpress.com
  • angevin1angevin1 Registered Users Posts: 3,403 Major grins
    edited January 19, 2010
    blondine wrote:
    YIKE'S.... how do I downsize the images? they are much smaller on my blog at:

http://blondinemcronaldphotography.wordpress.com

Yeah, they're big...but finally my old eyes can see them! So thanks!

Too warm. Your teacher is a critic....as She/he is supposed to be. Rules are broken every day, to good effect, but assignments from teachers are about something entirely different.

I like the WB totally!

I would have given her a wee bit more processing to ease-off some of the moles and the like....but not much, because like you, I like the overall effect of those freckles.

But your teacher is right on as far as needing some more post processing.

Actually the first thing I noticed besides the mole or skin tag next to her eye, was the Horner sign. The pupils are uneven and it is apparent in both photos. She's probably fine, but I wonder if her pupe's are always like this?

Anyway, more processing is my vote.
    And not too warm is another vote.
    tom wise
  • Allan FGAllan FG Registered Users Posts: 492 Major grins
    edited January 20, 2010
    I like both of them, and I like the fact that you left her with real skin. I hate the plastic PS portraits, when you look at them they look like robots.
  • D'BuggsD'Buggs Registered Users Posts: 958 Major grins
    edited January 20, 2010
    I wouldn't say that they're overly warm but I'm not on a good screen either.... As for PP,,,, Ya gotta go w/ what the teach expects, if you wanna good grade ----> Who knows where their head is at when they dream up assignments.

IMO, they could use a tad more....
    edited January 26, 2010
    A BIG THANK YOU for the replies/comments, I appreciate.... I will do additional edits to see how I like them and do some comparisons.
    clap.gifwings.gif
    I look forward to posting more and learning on the way.
    thanks again!
  • burntpixelburntpixel Registered Users Posts: 107 Major grins
    edited January 26, 2010
    Allan FG wrote:
    I like both of them, and I like the fact that you left her with real skin. I hate the plastic PS portraits, when you look at them they look like robots.

+1 and I don't know why everyone does it?

They look good to me, for what that's worth. I would hit the eyes with a touch of sharping though.
  • gavingavin Registered Users Posts: 411 Major grins
    edited January 27, 2010
    Maybe a little to red on the skin... but I think it looks fine....

About the touch ups... I would go tell him/her to **** themselves.... The media has such a negative impact on beauty, and to have expectations that photos of people have to be clear of any natural undesirable flaws ( outlined by our media ) is ridiculous.
    D700 and some glass

www.gjohnstone.com
    edited January 27, 2010
    gavin wrote:
    Maybe a little to red on the skin... but I think it looks fine....

About the touch ups... I would go tell him/her to **** themselves.... The media has such a negative impact on beauty, and to have expectations that photos of people have to be clear of any natural undesirable flaws ( outlined by our media ) is ridiculous.

Don't think we can blame it on the media.... They're only capitalizing on what motivates US (the masses) to buy. If unedited, out of camera pics sold products x, y and z,,,, then that's what we'd see. The "media" is only catering to the publics desires. To infer that *they* (aka; The Media) are the one's driving the bus, pretty much reduces *us* (Joe and Mary Blow) to the level of a lemming. And upon my last check, I'm a biped with a large brain mass that's very capable in making my own decisions based on rationale/logic. clap.gif The way I see it, The media is only honouring *popular* requests - just like a top 40 music station.

Just sumthin' ta thunk about.... headscratch.gif
  • RonnyMillsRonnyMills Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited January 27, 2010
    And if you look closely ... actually not very closely ... you will see she is wearing makeup. What is her motivation to do that? Why is our "impurity" so different than hers? Just asking ...ne_nau.gif
  • gavingavin Registered Users Posts: 411 Major grins
    edited January 28, 2010
    Oh, I opened a can of worms... Im not even gonna start as I am a psychology major and can go on for days.
    D700 and some glass

www.gjohnstone.com
    edited January 28, 2010
    gavin wrote:
    Oh, I opened a can of worms... Im not even gonna start as I am a psychology major and can go on for days.

GADS!....... I'm a Psychologist (ret.) that also minored in bizz marketing. We could have a BLAST with this one. :D

But not here - It be a thread killer.
  • RonnyMillsRonnyMills Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited January 28, 2010
    As I looked at your images I felt you were 90% "there". Just added a little "fashion" finishing. (Not to everyone's liking but here ya go.)

1. Crop
    2. I use Portraiture2 to smooth skin on it's own layer then back it down ~50% to retain the character of her skin.
    3. First image: Slight increase in contrast (background goes white, colors slightly richer) Second image: More contrast (Richer color, bit more dynamic) Note: Highlights still show detail before uploading.
    4. Add border.

Thanks for allowing me to work with your images.

p799062512-3.jpg

p1050266146-5.jpg
    edited January 29, 2010
    well these just got a major WOW factor, thanks for the notes on what changes you made, I will def be working on these a little more.... thank you for taking the time to edit and write-up!

Blondine

RonnyMills wrote:
    As I looked at your images I felt you were 90% "there". Just added a little "fashion" finishing. (Not to everyone's liking but here ya go.)

1. Crop
    2. I use Portraiture2 to smooth skin on it's own layer then back it down ~50% to retain the character of her skin.
    3. First image: Slight increase in contrast (background goes white, colors slightly richer) Second image: More contrast (Richer color, bit more dynamic) Note: Highlights still show detail before uploading.
    4. Add border.

Thanks for allowing me to work with your images.

p799062512-3.jpg

p1050266146-5.jpg