Options

#42 I hate hamlet...

JAGJAG Super Moderators Posts: 9,088 moderator
edited January 23, 2010 in The Dgrin Challenges
Just so happens I was doing a shoot and thought of this challenge...so I changed my settings to black and white and shot off a few at different styles/levels to indicate what they were doing verses plain rehearsal shots. This is the best of them. Hard to shoot when you cannot use a flash. Ignor my large watermark...that is not on the one I entered.
ps...the one I entered is sharpened..you can see it here http://challenges.smugmug.com/Other/DSS-42/10912243_RkPXE#768791148_4e7DZ
764071986_mgnj4-L-1.jpg

Comments

• Options
    edited January 20, 2010
    btw....I do not hate hamlet...that is the name of the show being performed. Its actually a comedy about a struggling actor who really gets into his new part in playing Hamlet. Its even got a sword fight in it!thumb.gif
  • Options
    travelwaystravelways Registered Users Posts: 7,854 Major grins
    edited January 20, 2010
    I personally think that this is a very interesting photo and a very creative if not unique taken on the theme :D

I personally feel very confused about this challenge and adding this to my lack of experience, I don't know if it works or not...

Why don't you post it into the PJ forum to see what they think about? - They are very professional on this subject there.
    Tatiana - Seeing the world through my camera
    TravelwaysPhotos.com ...... Facebook
    VegasGreatAttractions.com
    Travelways.com
  • Options
    AirThomAirThom Registered Users Posts: 153 Major grins
    edited January 22, 2010
    I like it, but I'm very new to PJ style. This has been an interesting challenge to try and think outside my "box". heh
  • Options
    lizzard_nyclizzard_nyc Registered Users Posts: 4,056 Major grins
    edited January 22, 2010
    Morning JAG,
    I've been looking at your image for a couple of days now--and I don't think it works for the challenge.

You are catching a scene from a play, so they know they are in the spotlight and are performing. But you didn't get reactions from the crowd (I realize that's hard to do in a play)--so there is no story really other than here is a play. I like the two heads you got in there because that shows that it's a show of somekind, butne_nau.gif .

My 2 cents, take it with a grain of salt as I haven't been shooting this style for that long at all.
    Liz A.
    _________
  • Options
    edited January 23, 2010
    Thank you all who responded. I do not know the exact qualifying as a photojournalizm piece would be...but I do know what I see that end up in the news media/papers ands such. Its basicly just being at the right place at the right moment with a camera from what I can tell. Not rocket science and not point and shoot (although some images I wonder). But the one big thing I do know is that there has to be a human interest side of the image. If this image were to run in our local paper...(which they chose a few of my others to go in for their tv ads and paper) ...it would tell of a final dress rehearsal in preparation for opening night at a small community theatre. There is no audience other than the director and stage manager. Thus the two shadows taking particular interest...the director leaning forward at an angle studying the scene to be sure all is in place for opening night.

Thats what I notice most about PJ. The image stops and you look at it and wonder whats that? whats happening? It only tells a small moment in time of the whole story...then you go to an article or a BRIEF DESCRIPTION under the photo. The photos are never stand alone...they have an article to back them up an make them have even more of a story. They are just the eye catching carrot that draws the people in to want to read the article.

JMO.

I did go in and change my title...thanks liz for your comments as that led me to realize the context of my title was not correct in information about the picture...thus a brief description.