Orton - Landscape

DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
edited January 21, 2010 in Other Cool Shots
Do these work????? I like both of them, but for some reason the first one really grows on me. Hopefully you'll give me your honest opinion -- thanks :D

1 --

769299907_fQ8Bz-L.jpg

2 --

769299932_v4zdK-L.jpg

Comments

• craig_dcraig_d Registered Users Posts: 911 Major grins
    edited January 20, 2010
    Dogdots wrote:
    Hopefully you'll give me your honest opinion

No! I'm going to LIE and tell you that your pictures are horrible! :D

Seriously, though: I really like these.

For the first one, I sort of wish the tree in the foreground on the right wasn't hanging quite so low, so that there was a little separation between its hanging branches and the other trees.

The second one I suppose could be natural colors, but all that snow against the bright blue sky makes it look oddly like one of those "everything in B&W except one object" pictures (though I can tell the tree trunks are brown). It's still nice, but I wonder how it would look in B&W.
    http://craigd.smugmug.com

Got bored with digital and went back to film.
  • rwellsrwells Registered Users Posts: 6,084 Major grins
    edited January 20, 2010
    I'm not really digging the first image. The comp doesn't work for me and the Orton effect is making the limbs just look OOF on this shot. Of course, you did ask for my opinion, YMMV

I really like the second shot. Nice comp, processing and the blue sky plays against all that white nicely. While it might be straight, the shot appears to be a little clockwise crooked. Sometimes I have to adjust a level picture to actual out-of-level just due to what it looks like to our eyes. Again, YMMV

Thanks for posting Mary!
    Randy
  • DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
    edited January 20, 2010
    craig_d wrote:
    No! I'm going to LIE and tell you that your pictures are horrible! :D

Seriously, though: I really like these.

For the first one, I sort of wish the tree in the foreground on the right wasn't hanging quite so low, so that there was a little separation between its hanging branches and the other trees.

The second one I suppose could be natural colors, but all that snow against the bright blue sky makes it look oddly like one of those "everything in B&W except one object" pictures (though I can tell the tree trunks are brown). It's still nice, but I wonder how it would look in B&W.

Hi Craig,

I know you wouldn't lie to me -- and that's good :D

The tree in the foreground I used to shelter the sun when I took it. When I edited it I was hoping the darkness of that tree would seperate it from the others across the river. It was a dumper photo, but thought I'd play around with it some. Guess that's why it's a dumper in the first place rolleyes1.gif

The second one is mostly the natural colors. Frost gives off some funky rainbow kind of colors when the sun hits it. So when editing it I never know what colors it might bring out. Never crossed my mind to do it in BW .. so here it is for you :D

BW version and straightend too :D I tried to lighten the shadows, but will need to take some time in doing that later.

769337251_SCnNk-L.jpg
    edited January 20, 2010
    Hmm. Can you darken the sky a bit (reduce the blue channel) in the B&W version? I think the snow-covered trees need to stand out a bit more.

I may end up thinking the original color was best, but I think a B&W version could be pretty cool too.

It does seem more level now. Randy made a good call on that.

edited January 20, 2010
    rwells wrote:
    I'm not really digging the first image. The comp doesn't work for me and the Orton effect is making the limbs just look OOF on this shot. Of course, you did ask for my opinion, YMMV

I really like the second shot. Nice comp, processing and the blue sky plays against all that white nicely. While it might be straight, the shot appears to be a little clockwise crooked. Sometimes I have to adjust a level picture to actual out-of-level just due to what it looks like to our eyes. Again, YMMV

Thanks for posting Mary!

Howdy Randy --

Not diggin' that first one :D I told craid_d that it was a dumper photo and I probably shouldn't mess around with dumpers. Lesson learned -- I like it when I learn a lesson without being grounded to my room rolleyes1.gif

Your right about the 2nd photo -- I checked it out and it needed some adjustment -- Thanks :D

I've been to this place so many times in hopes of finding a herd of deer, but have yet to see even one deer.

I thank you both for all your honest help :D

769337275_JWhgT-L.jpg
    edited January 20, 2010
    craig_d wrote:
    Hmm. Can you darken the sky a bit (reduce the blue channel) in the B&W version? I think the snow-covered trees need to stand out a bit more.

I may end up thinking the original color was best, but I think a B&W version could be pretty cool too.

It does seem more level now. Randy made a good call on that.

Sky is darkened. I did try that originally with I did the bw conversion, but tried to keep it from looking to 'stormy'.

769370250_84tpq-L.jpg
    edited January 20, 2010
    I like your darkened-sky B&W, but looking at it and the original color version, I think you were right the first time. bowdown.gif

• black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,323 Major grins
    edited January 20, 2010
    Well, Mary, it's a darn good thing I don't open my mouth when talking about PP technicalities. Hell, I thought the second shot was done IR.

Tom
    I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
    edited January 20, 2010
    craig_d wrote:
    I like your darkened-sky B&W, but looking at it and the original color version, I think you were right the first time. bowdown.gif

rolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gif Right the first time -- It was fun trying out the bw version to make sure it was the right choice or not.

Thanks Craig for your insight :D
    edited January 20, 2010
    Well, Mary, it's a darn good thing I don't open my mouth when talking about PP technicalities. Hell, I thought the second shot was done IR.

Tom

Hi Tom --

Wonder if I could pass it off as an IR photo rolleyes1.gif We'll have to see what Panther/Craig says about that rolleyes1.gif

Thanks for looking Tom and letting me know what you thought :D
  • PantherPanther Registered Users Posts: 3,658 Major grins
    edited January 20, 2010
    Howdy Mary,

really love that second one, the sky really works so well with the snow.

Very Nicely Done.

Hmmmm, just saw Tom's post, I like it and with the snow it does have the

appearance of IR with the White Trees, maybe you've started a new IR technique,

Snow/Hoar Frost IR.
    Take care,

Craig

Burleson, Texas
    edited January 20, 2010
    Panther wrote:
    Howdy Mary,

really love that second one, the sky really works so well with the snow.

Very Nicely Done.

Hmmmm, just saw Tom's post, I like it and with the snow it does have the

appearance of IR with the White Trees, maybe you've started a new IR technique,

Snow/Hoar Frost IR.

Hi Craig --

A new IR technique -- that'll be the day rolleyes1.gif

Looks kinda close, but it's missing that "punch" that an IR camera would give it. Tom was close tho in what he was thinking.

Thank you for commenting and taking a look :D
  • AzzaroAzzaro Registered Users Posts: 5,643 Major grins
    edited January 20, 2010
    Mary K. I like them both......I looked at the first one several times .. Does it look OOF or soft focus.....I kind of went with the last one, soft focus...... I thought the second one looked like and IR also:D azzaro
    edited January 21, 2010
    Azzaro wrote:
    Mary K. I like them both......I looked at the first one several times .. Does it look OOF or soft focus.....I kind of went with went the last one, soft focus...... I thought the second one looked like and IR also:D azzaro

Hi Azzaro --

The first one was shot into bright sunlight so it was blown out. I did a light HDR using Topaz and then a mild Orton on it. In other words..I played with it rolleyes1.gif I've attached the orig. photo so you can see what I started with. Not a good shot, but I liked the tree roots poking out and in the trees towards the field there looked like a bird flying. I doubt anything was in focus when I took it except maybe a tiny branch on the 5th tree :D

The other did look a little like an IR photo -- saves me money on modifing a camera :D

769917808_PpkTL-L.jpg