Options

Choice of Two

Tina ManleyTina Manley Registered Users Posts: 179 Major grins
edited January 22, 2010 in Street and Documentary
I've been scanning old film from Honduras to get ready for an editing workshop. Here are two of Rosa Quintanilla, the local healing woman in Potrerillos, Honduras. These are in total darkness except for the fire in the adobe stove. Leica M6, Noctilux, and Tmax 3200 film. The second one is too soft but I couldn't resist the cat.

121090460.jpg

121090465.jpg

Comments

• Options
    FlyingginaFlyinggina Registered Users Posts: 2,639 Major grins
    edited January 20, 2010
    The first one is wonderful. There is just enough light to define the woman, while enhancing the sense of mystery. I especially like her body position. It is so evocative --- of patience? deep thought? boredom? fatigue? The fact that we can't see her eyes just adds to the mystery.

I understand about the cat.

Virginia

Email
  • Options
    Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited January 21, 2010
    1st works for me ! thumb.gif
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • Options
    SyncopationSyncopation Registered Users Posts: 341 Major grins
    edited January 21, 2010
    I like both but if it's an either/or I think the first is a much stronger image.
    Syncopation

The virtue of the camera is not the power it has to transform the photographer into an artist, but the impulse it gives him to keep on looking. - Brook Atkinson- 1951
  • Options
    bdcolenbdcolen Registered Users Posts: 3,804 Major grins
    edited January 21, 2010
    I've been scanning old film from Honduras to get ready for an editing workshop. Here are two of Rosa Quintanilla, the local healing woman in Potrerillos, Honduras. These are in total darkness except for the fire in the adobe stove. Leica M6, Noctilux, and Tmax 3200 film. The second one is too soft but I couldn't resist the cat.

They're both interesting in different ways, Tina. Yes, I'd go with the first one, but I wouldn't dismiss the second out of hand - the limitations of the situation were what they were, and those limitations were bound to produce soft images. What I really wish is that in image one her face were turned just a bit more toward the light, giving us, in terms of seeing her, a combination of image one and image two. :D
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com
    "He not busy being born is busy dying." Bob Dylan

"The more ambiguous the photograph is, the better it is..." Leonard Freed
  • Options
    Tina ManleyTina Manley Registered Users Posts: 179 Major grins
    edited January 21, 2010
    bdcolen wrote:
    They're both interesting in different ways, Tina. Yes, I'd go with the first one, but I wouldn't dismiss the second out of hand - the limitations of the situation were what they were, and those limitations were bound to produce soft images. What I really wish is that in image one her face were turned just a bit more toward the light, giving us, in terms of seeing her, a combination of image one and image two. :D

Thanks, BD. I do have this one:

121284340.jpg

It was really dark in there so there's not much more light on her face even though it is turned more toward the light. I think I prefer her body position in the first one, as Virginia said. (Thanks, Virginia) No?

Tina
  • Options
    Wil DavisWil Davis Registered Users Posts: 1,692 Major grins
    edited January 21, 2010
    #1 - the points of interest are the flames and the face, and I think the face is too near the edge of the frame; might be better in landscape.

#2 - both my cats think this is a winner… thumb.gif …although I think it could be centered a bit more (move frame slightly to the left)

I think the third one (other post) is the best of all three, although Mr Tumble & Mr Monty want to know what happened to the cat.

- Wil

PS: Love your pics, Tina - at least all the ones I've seen so far (wish I had your eye… bowdown.gif )
    "…………………" - Marcel Marceau
  • Options
    bdcolenbdcolen Registered Users Posts: 3,804 Major grins
    edited January 21, 2010
    Thanks, BD. I do have this one:

121284340.jpg

It was really dark in there so there's not much more light on her face even though it is turned more toward the light. I think I prefer her body position in the first one, as Virginia said. (Thanks, Virginia) No?

Tina

It is true the body position is more interesting in the first, but...the face is more open in the third...hmmmm...
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com
    "He not busy being born is busy dying." Bob Dylan

"The more ambiguous the photograph is, the better it is..." Leonard Freed
  • Options
    FlyingginaFlyinggina Registered Users Posts: 2,639 Major grins
    edited January 21, 2010
    Time for photoshop magical head transfer. (Just joking)

The second version is wonderful too - I really respond to the eye contact. And the child, whom I did not notice at first.

Guess it comes down to the story you want the picture to tell. They are both great shots.

Va

Email
  • Options
    ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
    edited January 21, 2010
    Both are magical images, Tina. The first is more immediate, but I liked #2 almost as much after looking at it a few times. That cat is something.
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    NirNir Registered Users Posts: 1,400 Major grins
    edited January 22, 2010
    rutt wrote:
    Both are magical images

They are!

Nir Alon

images of my thoughts