Glacier Calving in College Fjords

amocaTamocaT Registered Users Posts: 5 Beginner grinner
edited January 21, 2010 in Landscapes
I took this last June in Alaska while on a day cruise. We watched this glacier calve, making a thunderous sound from about 1/4 mile away!

GlacierCalve.JPG
Taken with a D90/Tamron 28-300 (at 300mm)

Thanks for looking..

(Still working on a signature) :rolleyes

Comments

• Wicked_DarkWicked_Dark Registered Users Posts: 1,138 Major grins
    edited January 21, 2010
    Glaciers are amazing, I bet you had a great trip. The thing with them is that this kind of action is best expressed with multiple shots. Do you have more showing the whole drop?
  • black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,323 Major grins
    edited January 21, 2010
    Nice shot. A glacier calving is one of nature's shows that I most want to see. I haven't heard of one here in Florida in a while.:D

Tom
    I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
  • chrismoorechrismoore Registered Users Posts: 1,083 Major grins
    edited January 21, 2010
    I'm in florida, too, a long way away from spectacular shows of nature like this. I also wonder if you were able to fire off a bunch of exposures and were able to catch a big splash or something like that, if it happened. Looks like a beautiful place.
  • amocaTamocaT Registered Users Posts: 5 Beginner grinner
    edited January 21, 2010
    Glaciers are amazing, I bet you had a great trip. The thing with them is that this kind of action is best expressed with multiple shots. Do you have more showing the whole drop?

I have a four shot drop but not from the beginning. Gotta go back and try again. That alone was worth the trip. 8-)
  • amocaTamocaT Registered Users Posts: 5 Beginner grinner
    edited January 21, 2010
    chrismoore wrote:
    I'm in florida, too, a long way away from spectacular shows of nature like this. I also wonder if you were able to fire off a bunch of exposures and were able to catch a big splash or something like that, if it happened. Looks like a beautiful place.

I have a couple of splashes, but being on the boat at 300mm they're pretty 'soft'. Maybe I'll have better luck with VR.