Options

DSS 42 - Three from the street

MachineAgeMachineAge Registered Users Posts: 17 Big grins
edited January 22, 2010 in The Dgrin Challenges
Probably going to enter one of these depending on what I find this weekend. Any thoughts? Does the cart / car one do anything for you? Thanks!

767596668_hdXdU-XL.jpg

767596914_wUeze-XL.jpg

767596556_MGP27-XL.jpg

Comments

• Options
    WhatSheSawWhatSheSaw Registered Users Posts: 2,221 Major grins
    edited January 21, 2010
    Oooooh, I like the car and the cart. And the cart is in a handicapped spot, too. Bravo!

I would like to see all of the car. If you can't get that, then maybe crop off a bit more. I would also prefer a bit of space between the blanket and the right edge.
  • Options
    The_Fat_ZebraThe_Fat_Zebra Registered Users Posts: 120 Major grins
    edited January 21, 2010
    That third shot is a great catch.
    Street & Portrait because of the people. Landscape because it's pretty.
    Disappointed with AF of Tamron 28-75 2.8, me less happy.
  • Options
    ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
    edited January 21, 2010
    Don't listen to them. Loose that last shot and choose between the first two. I'd take #1. You need deeper shadows.
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    pyroPrints.compyroPrints.com Registered Users Posts: 1,383 Major grins
    edited January 21, 2010
    rutt wrote:
    Don't listen to them. Loose that last shot and choose between the first two. I'd take #1. You need deeper shadows.

Or you could listen to them, because the 3rd shot is really good. Rutt thinks that PJ should consist of shots of people, which is generally true, but this shot most certainly tells a story, which i think is what PJ is about.
    pyroPrints.com (my little t-shirt shop)
    pyroPrints.com/5819572 The Photo Section
  • Options
    edited January 21, 2010
    Thanks for all the thoughts! I like the third shot too for the story aspect of it. To respond to some of the suggestions:

@whatshesaw: I shot this a bunch of different ways and this straight-on one seemed to tell the story best but the framing suffers a bit. This is uncropped from the camera using a 10-22 at 10mm if I remember correctly. I wanted the whole cart and at least the logo / grill from the car.

@rutt: The monitor on my laptop is not great and levels are pretty much guesswork. I'll take a look from another computer.

@The_Fat_Zebra: Thanks! Funny how it happens. Spent a bunch of time across the street at the Mexican market and happened to come over to the McDonald's afterwards to use their ATM and saw this.

@pyroPrints: agree on need for story...those always seem to be the ones that draw me in. THE AMERICANS, Winogrand, etc. Thanks for the nice words.
  • Options
    TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
    edited January 21, 2010
    #3 has quite an impact.... but I do have a long list of woulda shoulda coulda

I guess thats another variable to PJ, there is no re-done_nau.gif
    Aaron Nelson
  • Options
    edited January 21, 2010
    Here's another view of it. Unfortunately I was at f4 and it would have been better to have the whole line of cars in focus at a higher stop. Arrgh. You would think by now I would check that stuff by reflex.

I could crop tighter but don't want to change aspect ratio and would lose either the lines on the left side or the handicapped sign on the right, which I like.

Which one do you prefer? Thanks again for thoughts.

769963373_rzj9m-XL-1.jpg
  • Options
    pyroPrints.compyroPrints.com Registered Users Posts: 1,383 Major grins
    edited January 21, 2010
    First version works much better. It provides a clear juxtaposition (vocab word =c).
    pyroPrints.com (my little t-shirt shop)
    pyroPrints.com/5819572 The Photo Section
  • Options
    travelwaystravelways Registered Users Posts: 7,854 Major grins
    edited January 21, 2010
    First version works much better. It provides a clear juxtaposition (vocab word =c).

I like the first one too
    Tatiana - Seeing the world through my camera
    TravelwaysPhotos.com ...... Facebook
    VegasGreatAttractions.com
    Travelways.com
  • Options
    sunflowerstudiosunflowerstudio Registered Users Posts: 145 Major grins
    edited January 21, 2010
    Me too (or five, or whatever). I like the original #3. I don't think PJ has to have people, but the one that'd worry me is the "no bums" rule. But, I think you found a different way to tell that story.
  • Options
    ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
    edited January 22, 2010
    I'm not blind, I see the point of #3. And I don't think it *has* to have people. In fact, #2 might be the best and it really doesn't have people.

#3 is pure left-brain. It has a literal point, but the composition isn't there to give it impact. The first and particularly the second are memorable compositions.
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    Shoots2LittleShoots2Little Registered Users Posts: 27 Big grins
    edited January 22, 2010
    The first car/cart one is great imho. That got a reaction from me right away.
    D40 18-55/3.5 35/1.8

My Smugmug
  • Options
    edited January 22, 2010
    rutt wrote:
    #3 is pure left-brain. It has a literal point, but the composition isn't there to give it impact.

I don't disagree with you--just could not figure a way to get an artistically good shot that made the point as well. The other one maybe I'll take another look at is a shot holding the camera as high up as possible and shooting down. Tried to eliminate background chatter that way and have some more pleasing shapes.

Thanks everyone for the thoughts. New here and appreciate it!