5DMKII vs D700

Jeremy WinterbergJeremy Winterberg Registered Users Posts: 1,233 Major grins
edited January 28, 2010 in Cameras
I'm sure there are posts on this topic already, I just don't feel like searching.

I switch cameras almost as often as I put new underwear on. KIDDING, but seriously, I switch cameras pretty often.

OK, so I switched to a Nikon D300 from a 50D in November. I might be selling my D300 and Nikkor 17-55mm f/2.8 fairly soon, to upgrade to a D700. SO, with all my Nikon gear sold (with the exception of my SB-600 if I switch back to Canon I will sell it too), I have the opportunity to switch back to Canon if I want to.

I will be going Full Frame no matter what brand I go with. So, this means, either D700 or 5DMKII (Don't want the first 5D). I will be shooting weddings and portraits for those that don't know.

Now, if I go with the 5DMKII I will get a refurbished one from Adorama for $2100 (alot better than $2300 used).

And I can get a used D700 for about $1800.

Pro's / Con's

I do some video work here and there, so the 5DMKII's video capabilities appeal to me. It would be nice to have an HD Video Camera and DSLR all in one package.

-- The Autofocus and AF-Points of the D700 appeal to me. One of the main reasons I switched to Nikon.

-- Shutter Speed... Yeah, 5fps(8 w/ bat grip) would be nice... but I rarely use 6 on my D300, 3.9 fps would be fine.

-- Megapixels... pshh 12 is enough, so that is not why I want the 5DMKII.

-- The one thing I miss about Canon... wide variety of amazing, but affordable lenses. I'm planning on going from zooms to primes. And eventually I want to get some 1.2 glass. With nikon the fastest available is 1.4. The lenses I'm looking at getting - 50 f/1.4, 85 f/1.4, 135 f/2, and maybe a 70-200 f/2.8 for convenience. All of which are available for both cameras.

So, I guess what I want to hear from you guys... Have any of you used both the 5DMKII and D700? Which do you prefer? What are the major differences that I might have overlooked. What would make you not want one over the other. Anything else you want to add?

Please no, "Canon/Nikon is the better brand! That's why you should stay/switch!!!" replies... That is not a valid reason. If that's your reason... sell your camera and take some photography courses or buy some photography books :thumb
Jer

Comments

• Moogle PepperMoogle Pepper Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited January 21, 2010
    Stick with Canon! Canon is the king of the world!! rolleyes1.gif

If you are going to sling primes, go Canon. But if the D700 feels more likely to get those shots you need. Well I don't need to answer further. Rent them both and give them a whirl.
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
  • QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited January 21, 2010
    I have not used 5DMk2 but I strongly suspect the D700 is going to have a more robust, true, faster AF system. It will also have better significantly better ISO performance. I don't believe there is camera out there except the D3s which will beat it.

Another thing to consider..with 24M pixels (right?) your file sizes double: your memory cards are halved, upload download times suffer, your post processing time increases, your HD gets filled up faster...you get the picture.

wrt to the lenses..

canon lens are more varied and cheaper..and I may get in a bit of trouble here..but I do think the nikon pro lenses are of higher quality and worth the expense in general at this point in time and has been for a bit.

Also consider the SB900 (great great flash) and nikon's in general better off camera CLS system.
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • holzphotoholzphoto Registered Users Posts: 385 Major grins
    edited January 21, 2010
    the 5d's AF sucks in low light conditions often found during weddings.
  • craig_dcraig_d Registered Users Posts: 911 Major grins
    edited January 21, 2010
    holzphoto wrote:
    the 5d's AF sucks in low light conditions often found during weddings.

Not with fast lenses. My 5D2's AF does a decent job by candlelight with an f/2 lens. I don't think I've actually tried with anything slower than that.
    http://craigd.smugmug.com

Got bored with digital and went back to film.
  • ToshidoToshido Registered Users Posts: 759 Major grins
    edited January 21, 2010
    I see two solutions available to you here.

Leave it to the fates, heads Canon, tail Nikon. Maybe through a monkey wrench in there and add a Sony a850 into the mix just for kicks. Of course then you would have to roll dice to see what camera to buy.
    But don;t worry, 3-6 months from now you ill sell it and buy a new one if you don;t like you latest choice :)

Then there is the pattern buying method....

First Canon, then Nikon, then Canon, then..... So it would seem to be Canons turn...

In other words, don't think you can really do wrong with your choices so good luck :)
    edited January 21, 2010
    probably depends on the lens too. i have owned the 24L, 35L, 50L, 85L, 100L, 135L, 200L and i wasn't impressed.

but you know what they say, once you go 1d, you really can't go back.

craig_d wrote:
    Not with fast lenses. My 5D2's AF does a decent job by candlelight with an f/2 lens. I don't think I've actually tried with anything slower than that.
    edited January 21, 2010
    I love how the request for information from people who have actually used both cameras is getting responses almost entirely from people who have used only one. (I haven't used the D700 either, but that's why I haven't responded until now.)

From everything I hear about it, the D700 is a great camera. The AF certainly sounds more versatile than the 5D2's, with more points and automatic face recognition (probably rather handy for weddings, unless it chooses to focus on the wrong face in a crowd).

The D700's 12 MP resolution would be problematic for anyone who is already used to significantly more than that, because it's nice to be able to crop pictures down radically and still have 8 MP or more in the finished result. You can do that with a 21 MP camera, but not with 12 MP.

The question of which camera has better high-ISO performance is more complicated than it seems. It makes a difference, for example, whether you compare them with RAW shots or in-camera JPEGs, since JPEGs will have noise reduction applied, and some cameras use it more heavily than others. I don't think I've actually seen a proper D700/5D2 high-ISO comparison.

I suspect you will be happy with whichever of these two you end up buying.

• bloomphotogbloomphotog Registered Users Posts: 582 Major grins
    edited January 21, 2010
    I've used both extensively. The 5DMK2 autofocus is way more than adequate for wedding work. I do feel that Canon has a better range of affordable, pro glass as well. But....mwink.gif ...I would suggest going with the Nikon. Who wants adequate? :D The D700 offers the best AF on the market, IMHO. Significantly better high ISO performance(especially with the recent firmware update), better/more rugged build quality, much faster handling, and more.

The downside to the D700 is the low-er resolution, no video, images don't natively have the Canon "look" (very popular in the wedding biz), no 85mm f/1.2 (best wedding lens out there), and some other stuff I am forgetting.

You know you want a D700, Jeremy...just sell that D300 and get it over with. Laughing.gifmwink.gif Or keep procrastinating and save your money (about an extra $1000) and go for the D700x. That's what I'm doing...right after I buy a D300s next month.

EDIT: The big advantage of more resolution for me is not really cropping(get it right the first time), but for post-processing. After working with some 16-bit, 39MP Hassy files I am hooked. Give me 20+ MP or give me...I don't know, something else.
  • Jeremy WinterbergJeremy Winterberg Registered Users Posts: 1,233 Major grins
    edited January 21, 2010
    You know you want a D700, Jeremy...just sell that D300 and get it over with. Laughing.gifmwink.gif Or keep procrastinating and save your money (about an extra $1000) and go for the D700x. That's what I'm doing...right after I buy a D300s next month.
    Haha, yeah there is a possible buyer that's going to drive about 70 miles this weekend to take a look at it... probably will buy both my lens and the camera as a package :D... I don't really care about the D700x... or whatever it will be called. When its released, I'll consider it, but probably wont get it, because it will be extremely expensive right out of the gate.

Sorry, the questions were meant for people that have used either one. It's just that first one was meant for people that have used both, like bloomphotog.

Totally agree with the cropping comment. It would be nice to be able to crop in and still be able to make large prints with excellent quality. But, really you should frame it correctly in camera. So, not having extra room to make mistakes kind of forces one to pay more attention and take better composed pictures mwink.gif

Again, no... fate comments :D. I want technical, detailed, informed suggestions. Not, flip a coin.
    Jer
    edited January 22, 2010
    OK, So those that use the 5DMKII, is the AF really that bad?? After reading some posts on other sites it seams like alot of people are not happy with the focusing, compared to the D700.

Oh, and I mainly shoot in RAW... but lately I've been thinking about just shooting JPEG. Why? Because if you get the exposure correct in camera every time, you shouldn't have any issues. And you can take 4 times as many pictures.

I've really been working on nailing exposure lately. For those of you that don't use the histogram... you'll never be spot on until you do! I've noticed a tremendous improvement in my exposure since I started only looking at the histogram on the back of my camera. Learn how to read it, and you'll be VERY happy with the results. thumb.gif

So, I'm really liking the 5DMKII because of the video, prime lenses, and the price for what you get. I have a couple video projects coming up where having HD video would be REALLY nice.

But, I'm also really liking the D700 for its AF/AF Points (I hear the layout of the points on the 5DMKII are stupid), the extremely well built pro glass, and the low price right now.

Downside to the 5DMKII, I wouldn't be able to get it right away. Don't have an extra $300 lying around. Upside - I don't need a camera right now. I'm in school, so I'm not really advertising to people that I want photo work, other than weddings. And right now my earliest wedding is in May.

Downside to the D700, no video. Upside - I can get it right away, its in my budget.

Downside to both... can't afford a lens right away. Might get the 50 1.8 again just to have a lens. I hear its pretty decent on full frame anyways.
    Jer
    edited January 22, 2010
    OK, So those that use the 5DMKII, is the AF really that bad?? After reading some posts on other sites it seams like alot of people are not happy with the focusing, compared to the D700.

I can't directly compare them because I haven't used the D700. In general the 5D2's AF is fast and accurate. Then again I shoot almost entirely using single-shot AF with a single selected AF point, which may be easier than, say, AI Servo mode.
    Oh, and I mainly shoot in RAW... but lately I've been thinking about just shooting JPEG. Why? Because if you get the exposure correct in camera every time, you shouldn't have any issues.

But if the dynamic range of the scene is too great, you're out of luck with a JPEG. With RAW you have a pretty good chance of being able to pull some details out of the extremes.
    I've really been working on nailing exposure lately. For those of you that don't use the histogram... you'll never be spot on until you do! I've noticed a tremendous improvement in my exposure since I started only looking at the histogram on the back of my camera. Learn how to read it, and you'll be VERY happy with the results. thumb.gif

This is very true regardless of whether you shoot RAW or JPEG. "Expose to the right" is an important aspect of maximizing your IQ with digital cameras.
    I hear the layout of the [AF] points on the 5DMKII are stupid

I don't see the problem. The 5D2 is sometimes criticized for having only 9 AF points, but the layout? There is an illustration of the view through the 5D2's viewfinder, with the AF points shown, here (scroll down a bit)

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/CanonEOS5DMarkII/page6.asp

The D700's viewfinder display is shown here:

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/NikonD700/page4.asp

Judge it for yourself. It's nice that the D700 has so many points, if you're the sort of photographer who wants to be constantly fiddling with which point you're using (or if you trust the camera to choose the right point each time). The 5D2 has fewer points but they seem to be placed sensibly.
    Downside to both... can't afford a lens right away. Might get the 50 1.8 again just to have a lens. I hear its pretty decent on full frame anyways.

The Canon 50mm f/1.8 is pretty decent on the 5D2. I prefer the 50mm f/1.4 USM (I have both) but honestly if you showed me pictures taken with each at f/2.8 I probably wouldn't be sure which was which unless there were some five-sided bokeh to tip me off. At f/2 the faster lens is a bit sharper, but the f/1.8 is still good.

edited January 22, 2010
    craig_d wrote:
    I can't directly compare them because I haven't used the D700. In general the 5D2's AF is fast and accurate. Then again I shoot almost entirely using single-shot AF with a single selected AF point, which may be easier than, say, AI Servo mode.
    I only shoot in the single-shot, with single af point as well. I kind of hate it when the camera continues to search for a focus point, because often times it focuses where I don't want it to.
    craig_d wrote:
    This is very true regardless of whether you shoot RAW or JPEG. "Expose to the right" is an important aspect of maximizing your IQ with digital cameras.
    Agreed, expose to the right without clipping the highlights. Very important!

craig_d wrote:
    I don't see the problem. The 5D2 is sometimes criticized for having only 9 AF points, but the layout? There is an illustration of the view through the 5D2's viewfinder, with the AF points shown, here (scroll down a bit)

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/CanonEOS5DMarkII/page6.asp

The D700's viewfinder display is shown here:

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/NikonD700/page4.asp

Judge it for yourself. It's nice that the D700 has so many points, if you're the sort of photographer who wants to be constantly fiddling with which point you're using (or if you trust the camera to choose the right point each time). The 5D2 has fewer points but they seem to be placed sensibly.
    The "stupid" layout I was referring too, was that all of the points are DIRECTLY in the center of the frame, instead of being spread out more. My D300 has the same ammount of AF Points. Yes there are a ton, but you can change how many your camera actually uses in the menu. Like, I can go down to 9, or whatever you want.
    craig_d wrote:
    The Canon 50mm f/1.8 is pretty decent on the 5D2. I prefer the 50mm f/1.4 USM (I have both) but honestly if you showed me pictures taken with each at f/2.8 I probably wouldn't be sure which was which unless there were some five-sided bokeh to tip me off. At f/2 the faster lens is a bit sharper, but the f/1.8 is still good.
    I would only be getting the 1.8 for temporary use. When more funds become available (aka, when one of my weddings pays the rest of their money owed to me), I will be getting a 1.4. Either the 50 or the 85...
    Jer
    edited January 22, 2010
    The "stupid" layout I was referring too, was that all of the points are DIRECTLY in the center of the frame, instead of being spread out more. My D300 has the same ammount of AF Points. Yes there are a ton, but you can change how many your camera actually uses in the menu. Like, I can go down to 9, or whatever you want.

Ah, gotcha. So let's add DPReview's D300 viewfinder illustration into the mix:

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/NikonD300/page4.asp

Comparing all three illustrations, the 5D2's outermost points look a little bit closer to the center than the D700's, but not by much. The D300 appears to have its points spread out over a larger region of the frame, but that may be in part due to the fact that the frame is smaller -- it's an APS-C camera, after all. The Canon 50D and 7D's AF points also appear to cover more of the frame. So I think this is, at least in part, a full-frame vs. APS-C issue.

• PindyPindy Registered Users Posts: 1,089 Major grins
    edited January 22, 2010
    I owned both and really understood both systems. I detailed my journey of decision HERE

In the end, I kept the D700 because I wanted the better AF (yes, it IS better for many subjects), build quality, and most of all, the ergonomics for me were far superior. If I had more time for landscape photography, I might've kept the 5DmkII, especially since AF doesn't matter. The resolution is pretty great. Having switched, I really do miss the primes I used to have. The Nikon lens rumor mill constantly mentions an updated 85/1.4, 35/1.4, 24/1.4 and maybe a new 135/2.

Nikon has the truly amazing 14-24mm/2.8. Canon has the fantastic 24/1.4 II. The focus on the Nikon is more accurate, I've found, than the Canon AF, which is often faster due to all the USM lenses out there, but misses more. After a while, I hated the Canon ergo and this was a bigger factor than lens selection, etc. I wish the D700 had more pixels, but most of the time it makes no difference for the sizes I need. Either camera kicks ass.

The Leica gets my full attention these days. I'm on a DSLR backlash right now.

Good luck.
  • PhotoskipperPhotoskipper Registered Users Posts: 453 Major grins
    edited January 22, 2010
    I am looking into upgrading the 5d to mkII. The reason for myself (mainly for my wife) is the HD video. As the FF user, I really enjoy the tons of MP. It can scale down to smaller RAW file to save some storage but the cards are so cheap now. My 40 GB Epson portable Harddisk can last me at least couple days.

most of consumer grade video camera comes with one small lens and tiny senor. Imagine using the big L glasses to shoot HD with a full frame sensor, it may be good. Honestly, I am not sure but it sounds logic. I have already had the full line up of Ls, so it does hurt my wallet too much.

Just bought a standard digital video cam for traveling and waiting for the approval to get the new toy.wings.gif
    Photoskipper
    flickr.com/photos/photoskipper/
  • kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    edited January 22, 2010
    craig_d wrote:
    Expose to the right really only works for RAW. For JPG, you basically end up with an overexposed shot with washed out colors that don't return if you reduce the exposure.
    edited January 22, 2010
    kdog wrote:
    Expose to the right really only works for RAW. For JPG, you basically end up with an overexposed shot with washed out colors that don't return if you reduce the exposure.

Shows how often I shoot JPEG... ne_nau.gif

edited January 22, 2010
    i shoot jpg and have zero issues bring photos back a stop or two, even when i used the 5d II.

you should try out the 1d III, it's not full frame, but it's AF is amazing, and w/ the prices they are going for used right now, unbeatable deal.
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,078 moderator
    edited January 22, 2010
    Exposing to the right works for both RAW and JPG images, but you have to test your system to know how far to the right (in the histogram) is safe and for what conditions. It is not good to assume that the camera histogram is a standard of any kind, since there is no standard for histogram interpretation or display.

Once you understand what a particular histogram really means, it is almost always better to shoot with the histogram "towards" the right in the camera's LCD display, especially in scenes of limited dynamic range or low contrast.

I do find that a 3-color histogram plus highlight "blinkies" (indicating overexposure) yields the most meaningful information for those cameras that have that combination.

It's rather like a gasoline gauge in a car. As you drive the car you learn to interpret what the gauge really means, but I can almost guarantee that no 2 gauges in different make and model cars will mean the same thing. (i.e. when is the tank "really" half-full and when are you "really" about to run out of gas. Rental cars are always fun that way. mwink.gif )
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
    edited January 22, 2010
    holzphoto wrote:
    i shoot jpg and have zero issues bring photos back a stop or two, even when i used the 5d II.

you should try out the 1d III, it's not full frame, but it's AF is amazing, and w/ the prices they are going for used right now, unbeatable deal.

I was looking at your 1DIII for sale... tempting. But I really want full frame. And really, the only reason why I would switch back to canon is for the HD Video. I just have to decide if its REALLY worth it to give up the reliable AF Nikon has.
    Jer
    edited January 22, 2010
    my 1d III is sold. still crazy deals can be had on that camera.

i have never used the d700, but if i were a nikon shooter i'd have one of those and a d3s.

I was looking at your 1DIII for sale... tempting. But I really want full frame. And really, the only reason why I would switch back to canon is for the HD Video. I just have to decide if its REALLY worth it to give up the reliable AF Nikon has.
  • kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    edited January 22, 2010
    holzphoto wrote:

You seem to be missing the point of shooting to the right. Yes, you can recover somewhat from an overexposed JPG. However, the point of exposing to the right is to get better images than if you shot it neutral. Do you intentionally overexpose all of your JPG images, correct the exposure in software, and feel you get better images that way? That's what those of us who shoot to the right do.

With due respect to you and Ziggy, exposing to the right allows you to take better advantage of the extra tone values in the linear 12 or 14 bit pixel data available from the camera's sensor. There is very little benefit in exposing to the right on an 8 bit image format (JPG) that has already had a gamma curve applied. You might get a tiny bit of benefit if you're very careful, but in most cases you will be degrading the image.

There are numerous writings around the internet on expose to the right, but I've never seen one that advocates doing it if you're shooting JPGs.

Here are some references:

* http://www.luminous-landscape.com/tutorials/expose-right.shtml - Quote: "... When working in RAW mode, which you should be ..."

* http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exposing_to_the_right - Quote: "The technique is best used when shooting in a raw image format so post-processing can be done on the resulting file. If this technique is used with JPEG files (the default on most consumer cameras), it may result in over-exposed pictures."

* http://www.oceanlight.com/log/expose-to-the-right.html - Quote: "Note that this post is primarily intended for photographers who shoot RAW. (If you shoot JPEG you may benefit from what follows simply by having a better understanding of what is going on inside your camera, but you probably do not want to use this technique.)"

* http://www.petercox.ie/expose_right.php - Quote: "It's important to realize that this technique is best performed on RAW files, not JPEGs. If you're shooting JPEG, you have far less latitude to edit the image before it starts to deteriorate."

So I'm not the only one who feels this way. And yes, I've tried it, and it produced washed-out images. deal.gif

-joel

PS: Sorry, I realize this is off-topic and intend to drop the issue at this point.
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,078 moderator
    edited January 22, 2010
    I agree that we are getting off on a tangent. I will start a new thread in the Techniques forum to continue this part of the discussion regarding the in-camera histogram. Feel free to join there.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • rwellsrwells Registered Users Posts: 6,084 Major grins
    edited January 22, 2010
    ziggy53 wrote:
    I agree that we are getting off on a tangent. I will start a new thread in the Techniques forum to continue this part of the discussion regarding the in-camera histogram. Feel free to join there.

I commented on the histogram thread you started in Techniques.

As to 5DMII or D700...

Each is a darn nice camera, but each also has it's set of warts.

Anyone who denies this is just goofy, IMHO

All the fan-boy stuff and blanket statements are quite useless.

Camera's are tools, nothing more. Choose the right tool that matches what you believe your needs are and will be in the short/medium range future.

Also, don't discount your "likes". This is important to most of us! If you think the 5D2 might be a better tool for you, but you "like" Nikon better, your never going to be fully satisfied with the Canon.

Most of the differences/advantages/disadvantages have been laid out here for you.

* If what you need is also what you want, then it's easy peasy.

* If what you need isn't what you want, then you've got some contemplating to do...
    Randy
    edited January 22, 2010
    I guess I need to hear it from some wedding photographers that use the 5DMKII... Does the AF get in the way that much? Meaning... Do you lose shots because it takes so darn long to find what it needs to focus on?

In all honesty the only reason why I want the 5DMKII is the video. Because I do have a small need for HD video. I have a big project coming up for a client, and a couple smaller projects for personal things, that the HD video would be nice. But SD video from my camcorder is fine for all of those projects, so the HD video is not really "needed".

I think the D700 is probably the best fit for me. The AF needs to be reliable when you're at a wedding, and the D700 has that. And it's in my budget.

I also do a bunch of studio work. I hear the 5DMKII is "the perfect camera for studio work"... how is the D700 in the studio environment?
    Jer
  • NikonsandVstromsNikonsandVstroms Registered Users Posts: 990 Major grins
    edited January 22, 2010

I have had the D700 for almost exactly 1 year right now. I bought it so I could do very low light work and have had many ISO 12,800 images come out which is crazy when I think about a few years ago I was getting more noise with my D50 at ISO 1600.

But this camera has so much more to offer, the FPS and AF have come to mean a lot to me helping me branch out into some sports photography. And combined with the 28-75 F2.8 Tamron you can create some amazing images, the one warning for this lens is the AF is slow.

I know this is yet another tangent for the thread but speaking of what the D700 lets me do this came to mind; is there any list of all Nikon weather proof lenses? Since I have a Fuji S5 and D700 it would be nice to have a lens or 2 that let me take them into the elements and be able to expand my work further.
    edited January 22, 2010
    I guess I need to hear it from some wedding photographers that use the 5DMKII... Does the AF get in the way that much? Meaning... Do you lose shots because it takes so darn long to find what it needs to focus on?

In all honesty the only reason why I want the 5DMKII is the video. Because I do have a small need for HD video. I have a big project coming up for a client, and a couple smaller projects for personal things, that the HD video would be nice. But SD video from my camcorder is fine for all of those projects, so the HD video is not really "needed".

I think the D700 is probably the best fit for me. The AF needs to be reliable when you're at a wedding, and the D700 has that. And it's in my budget.

I also do a bunch of studio work. I hear the 5DMKII is "the perfect camera for studio work"... how is the D700 in the studio environment?

As for the studio how big do you want to go? Most needs can be addressed with 12MP since you are at base ISO. And I have been a big fan of using the 700 in the studio personally.
    edited January 22, 2010
    As for the studio how big do you want to go? Most needs can be addressed with 12MP since you are at base ISO. And I have been a big fan of using the 700 in the studio personally.

the biggest I would ever go is 30x40... I've made 20x30 prints before with my 50D... so I'm sure 12 mp would surely be able to go to 30x40.
    Jer
    edited January 22, 2010
    the biggest I would ever go is 30x40... I've made 20x30 prints before with my 50D... so I'm sure 12 mp would surely be able to go to 30x40.

Without question, I have done 8x10's with 2MP if you shoot it exactly right then you can get a lot of enlargement while keeping sharpness.
    edited January 22, 2010
    awesome....but if i am shooting wedding and the bride is coming down the aisle. i have my 24-70 on the camera and my shutter speed is 1/100 when i meter the shot it's a stop or so underexposed. the apeture is maxed out at 2.8, so i take care of the "darkness" in post processing.

or maybe i don't get it.

kdog wrote:
    You seem to be missing the point of shooting to the right. Yes, you can recover somewhat from an overexposed JPG. However, the point of exposing to the right is to get better images than if you shot it neutral. Do you intentionally overexpose all of your JPG images, correct the exposure in software, and feel you get better images that way? That's what those of us who shoot to the right do.

With due respect to you and Ziggy, exposing to the right allows you to take better advantage of the extra tone values in the linear 12 or 14 bit pixel data available from the camera's sensor. There is very little benefit in exposing to the right on an 8 bit image format (JPG) that has already had a gamma curve applied. You might get a tiny bit of benefit if you're very careful, but in most cases you will be degrading the image.

There are numerous writings around the internet on expose to the right, but I've never seen one that advocates doing it if you're shooting JPGs.

Here are some references:

* http://www.luminous-landscape.com/tutorials/expose-right.shtml - Quote: "... When working in RAW mode, which you should be ..."

* http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exposing_to_the_right - Quote: "The technique is best used when shooting in a raw image format so post-processing can be done on the resulting file. If this technique is used with JPEG files (the default on most consumer cameras), it may result in over-exposed pictures."

* http://www.oceanlight.com/log/expose-to-the-right.html - Quote: "Note that this post is primarily intended for photographers who shoot RAW. (If you shoot JPEG you may benefit from what follows simply by having a better understanding of what is going on inside your camera, but you probably do not want to use this technique.)"

* http://www.petercox.ie/expose_right.php - Quote: "It's important to realize that this technique is best performed on RAW files, not JPEGs. If you're shooting JPEG, you have far less latitude to edit the image before it starts to deteriorate."

So I'm not the only one who feels this way. And yes, I've tried it, and it produced washed-out images. deal.gif

-joel

PS: Sorry, I realize this is off-topic and intend to drop the issue at this point.