Options

MMA Photography??

roshisbestroshisbest Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
edited January 27, 2010 in Sports
Hi Guys,

Found your great forum while looking for info on MMA photography. I dont really know where to start with this, I am a huge MMA fan and a photographer but have never mixed the 2 before and now I have a job next weekend shooting an event here in england. Just wondering if anyone had any info on kit, etiquette and general hints and tips for this.

I have picked up from another thread that flash is obviously a no no, maybe a 50mm 1.4 would do the trick. I sadly only have one body at the moment, and I guess im not going to have time to switch around. My kit options are very limited at the moment, due to a mass sale to fund..well, living. so I have a 70-200 at my disposal too, but im guessing the 50mm is my best option.

I have press passes, so any info you guys can give me would be appreciated.

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    GringriffGringriff Registered Users Posts: 340 Major grins
    edited January 22, 2010
    I recently took some wrasslin' photos and was lucky enough that we could use flash which I bounced off the ceiling. I tried the 50mm (I have a 1.6x crop camera) but it was just too close for the wrestling moves and acrobatics sitting close to the ring. I turned to the Tamron 17-50 and it worked pretty well. I don't know much about MMA but 50mm may work better there if they are not climbing on the top ropes and jumping off. If it is more like boxing where they stay closer together the 50 should work pretty well ringside. If you are using a full frame the 50mm should do very well.
    Andy
    http://andygriffinphoto.com/
    http://andygriffin.smugmug.com/
    Canon 7D, 70-200mm L, 50 and 85 primes, Tamron 17-50, 28-135
  • Options
    TEphotosTEphotos Registered Users Posts: 23 Big grins
    edited January 22, 2010
    I've shoot MMA before... And loved it!

So two things: 1--Are they using a ring or a Cage
    2--Find out if there is a commission that governs the fights and what the rules are for photographers at ring/cage side..

When I do a MMA event, I carry two camera bodies with me.. One has a 28-90 lens with a flash, the other has a 70-200 2.8. The 28-90 is use for crowd shots, fighters entering the arena, ring girl photos ect... My 70-200 i use for the fights themselves.. :)

If they are in a ring, you have no problem getting amazing shots of them from just about anywhere.. Now if they are shooting in a cage, then that is more of a problem.. You have to shoot between the holes in the cage. Proves to be some what of a pain in the butt, but it is doable.

Take lots of memory cards. Change them at intermission. :) Don't only focus on the fighters, get shots of the corner men, trainers, ring girls ect... Find out if you have access to the ring/cage? That way you can get in the ring/cage at the end of each fight to get amazing shots of the winners... Be ready for anything! Bloody shots always get the best comments. :)

Hope that helps.. :)

Here's a few photos that I did:
    MMA+Never+Back+Down+1324-1.jpg

MMA+Never+Back+Down+280-1.jpg

MMA+Never+Back+Down+1042-1.jpg

MMA+Never+Back+Down+116-1.jpg
  • Options
    SUMGUYSUMGUY Registered Users Posts: 61 Big grins
    edited January 23, 2010
    http://snaplocally.com/main/

Check this site out...This guy takes some of the better shots you will see in any fight style. He is a member here too. Get ready to be amazed!

cheers, Scott
  • Options
    edited January 24, 2010
    I've seen his work before! He is one amazing photographer when it come to MMA photos! Love to be able to shoot an event with him, I'd learn so much! clap.gif
  • Options
    roshisbestroshisbest Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited January 25, 2010
    Some good advice here guys!

Im using an EOS 1 Ds probably going to use the 50 as its in an octagonal ring (!!) im told. I will have to ask the promoters what their policy on flashes is. could get nice coverage with 2 off body speedlights at opposing sides of the ring, but im not sure how this would affect the fighters to be honest. To be honest im hoping the overhead lights are sufficient I dont really want to have too much equipment with me.

Am I right in thinking I want to stay fairly mobile and try and get some backstage and in ring action?

I am really looking forward to this just found out that it is so expenses only now, I am still going to do it as its good experience I figure.
  • Options
    SUMGUYSUMGUY Registered Users Posts: 61 Big grins
    edited January 26, 2010
    roshisbest wrote:
    Some good advice here guys!

Im using an EOS 1 Ds probably going to use the 50 as its in an octagonal ring (!!) im told. I will have to ask the promoters what their policy on flashes is. could get nice coverage with 2 off body speedlights at opposing sides of the ring, but im not sure how this would affect the fighters to be honest. To be honest im hoping the overhead lights are sufficient I dont really want to have too much equipment with me.

Am I right in thinking I want to stay fairly mobile and try and get some backstage and in ring action?

I am really looking forward to this just found out that it is so expenses only now, I am still going to do it as its good experience I figure.

I dont think you will have much time to get change room shots. If you want those kind of shots, you best get there early enough to get the fighters getting their wraps and gloves on. Once the the first bout kicks off it's pretty much go go go. You will only be able to get shots out back of the first few fighters, the main events dont get ready until later in the night and by then you will have your focus in the cage on the under card fighters.

cheers, Scott
  • Options
    edited January 27, 2010
    Photographers are not allow back stage at some fights... Might want to check on that too.. :) and yes you need to keep pretty modile.. :)