First shots with MR-14EX Macro Ring Lite

craig_dcraig_d Registered Users Posts: 911 Major grins
edited January 24, 2010 in Holy Macro
These are just a few shots around the house, taken after my Canon MR-14EX Macro Ring Lite arrived yesterday.

Since I currently use a Tokina 100mm macro lens that is a bit thinner than the Canon lenses for which the MR-14EX was designed, I used a Kenko 55mm to 58mm step-up ring to give the Ring Lite something to hold onto. It probably isn't as secure as it should be, but it stays in place without difficulty as long as nothing bumps into it.

I like the Ring Lite's illumination, which, as expected, is smooth and all-surrounding. I haven't experimented yet with changing the balance between the two sides, or using only one side.

C&C appreciated.

1. A small decorative pendant:
771066005_sHVun-L-1.jpg

2. A small statuette (the original, with two complete birds sitting on a dead tree, is about 4 inches tall):
771066057_VtWpA-L-1.jpg

3. Mystery object:
771067048_3Fivb-L-1.jpg

4. The top of a perfume bottle, with the macro lite's two semi-circular lamps reflected in the little pendant:
771067308_LwUEr-L-1.jpg

I didn't realize how dusty those last two were until I looked at the pictures on the computer! I may redo those shots.

Canon EOS 5D Mark II
Tokina 100mm f/2.8 macro at f/11 (except for #1, which is at f/2.8)
Canon MR-14EX Macro Ring Lite
http://craigd.smugmug.com

Got bored with digital and went back to film.

Comments

• EddyEddy Registered Users Posts: 320 Major grins
    edited January 23, 2010
    nice pics ..any info..on the parrots..Settings
    E.J.W

Great understanding is broad and unhurried, Little understanding is cramped and busy" ..... Chuang Tsu
  • Lord VetinariLord Vetinari Registered Users Posts: 15,901 Major grins
    edited January 24, 2010
    Looking good - well worth playing with the power ratios, I think most people use these around 2:1 to 4:1 ratio.
    Brian V.
  • craig_dcraig_d Registered Users Posts: 911 Major grins
    edited January 24, 2010
    Eddy wrote:
    nice pics ..any info..on the parrots..Settings

Thanks. The parrots are just a 4" high painted statuette that my wife came across once and bought for me. I don't know much more about it than that.

Click here for the original gallery, where you can get more details about camera settings from the Photo Info option on the menu that pops up when you hover your mouse over the picture being displayed.

• craig_dcraig_d Registered Users Posts: 911 Major grins
    edited January 24, 2010
    Looking good - well worth playing with the power ratios, I think most people use these around 2:1 to 4:1 ratio.

Thanks. Yeah, I'll be experimenting to see how the effect can be altered. I'm also curious to use it for non-macro shots, such as portraits, optionally with my 430EX firing from another position (since the MR-14EX is a remote flash controller as well).