First "studio" shots - WARNING: Image heavy

imagesofhimimagesofhim Registered Users Posts: 527 Major grins
edited January 27, 2010 in People
Santa brought me four continuous lights and helped me set up a mini, kind-of, wanna-be studio. I've NEVER done ANYTHING with lighting so this all completely foreign to me--I'm a "natural light, on-location" kind of gal.

So, a friend calls and wants me to shoot her granddaughter... Here are some I'd like your comments/critiques/suggestions/help with...

#1:
771456745_ejruG-XL.jpg

#2: I know it's soft, but I posted it because I want to learn how to avoid the stupid shadow...
771455279_aCbht-XL.jpg

#3 Again, bad focus, but by looking at the catch lights, can you tell me if I had the umbrellas too low??????
771455404_TyjQn-XL.jpg

771455827_ZYidC-XL.jpg

Same child--BEFORE I dared take her indoors! I was petrified that I wouldn't have anything if I only shot indoors...
771452623_9a66M-XL.jpg

#6771451952_6Bejs-XL.jpg

771451233_T5iJx-XL.jpg
Blessings,
Marjohn

Images of Him Photography

Comments

• jdorseydesignjdorseydesign Registered Users Posts: 161 Major grins
    edited January 24, 2010
    So, I think the way you avoid the shadow behind someone when using your own light is to actually light the background with a separate light.
    J Dorsey Design Photography • jdorseydesign.com • Facebook Fan/Friend • Twitter @bartdorsey
  • angevin1angevin1 Registered Users Posts: 3,403 Major grins
    edited January 24, 2010
    First of all, you get high marks for getting more than one shot of a child at that age!

I had to look, over and over to find the Stupid Shadow, because I was so drawn to the beautiful child. Why not try and soften the shadows instead of ridding yourself of them. Ridding yourself of them means more light, and can be done, but can also take the drama away from the scene. You could light this scene from the side and get rid of shadows in front of her and find a bit more drama too.

I Like the set/s overall, but would lighten her eyes a bit in the outside shots. The inside ones need different lighting for my taste...like I mentioned above. I wouldn't worry over the softness as much as the lighting.
    tom wise
  • imagesofhimimagesofhim Registered Users Posts: 527 Major grins
    edited January 25, 2010
    Thank you both for the information... I'm trying desperately to learn!
    Blessings,
    Marjohn

• CookieSCookieS Registered Users Posts: 854 Major grins
    edited January 25, 2010
    I dont see any shadows that bother me, WB may be a touch warm. Maybe try on white or light grey BG , or add a hair light to the black so its not so forboding. you dont want completly flat lighting. Id just try to stay a bit father from the baby in studio,(longer focal lenght) and close down your aperture so you get more DOF.
  • kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    edited January 25, 2010
    1,2 5, and 7 are wonderful. iloveyou.gif 6 would be good if you nailed the focus better. I think these are excellent first attempts.

Cheers,
    -joel
  • imagesofhimimagesofhim Registered Users Posts: 527 Major grins
    edited January 27, 2010
    CookieS & kdog--thanks so much for advice... now I find myself wanting to offer a complete re-shoot and try the different background(s) and lighting ideas. Thanks for taking the time to respond--it's encouraging to hear the compliments and the suggestions only feed my desire to learn!
    Blessings,
    Marjohn

• DeeCajunDeeCajun Registered Users Posts: 515 Major grins
    edited January 27, 2010
    LOVE #1.. precious and the color contrast is great.