Olympus EP-2.. some thoughts

jonboy61jonboy61 Registered Users Posts: 28 Big grins
edited January 24, 2010 in Cameras
So I got an EP-2 for my birthday. Some observations. It is really little, it is really heavy for its size and the standard 14-42mm lens is a PITA. The electronic viewfinder works swell; the caps that cover the accessory port and the bottom of the viewfinder when not in use are really "fiddly" and will get lost very easily. This is, by far, the most complicated menu for a digital camera that I have yet to use. I think it would take days of constant use to be comfortable with where settings appear under which dial or thumb wheel, and I learn things very well by reading instructions.
I decided to get the camera with the 14-42 because I intend to get the Panasonic 20mm f1.7 as a prime. The 14-42 is small enough when collapsed, but is quite a bit bigger when in use. If the camera is turned on while the lens is stored an error message appears, with no harm, apparently, but annoying nonetheless. And, while it will extend for use without any manipulation, a switch needs to be used to retract it.
Olympus should have made this version of the digital Pen 1/2-5/8" taller and incorporated a viewfinder and a small flash. They would have lost no ground to the GF-1 in size, really, and would have added tons in functionality to the camera. The accessory viewfinder works well, but adds a lot of "space" to the shape and really limits the ability to drop the camera in a pocket without catching on something.

But, did I mention this is the most fun camera I have owned in years? It is so small and so adaptable to use that it is captivating. I got an adapter from Olympus OM to micro 4/3s and bought used 35mm and 85mm F2 lenses. With effective 70mm and 170mm and F2 shooting in lower light is really great with stabilization in body, and lower ISO numbers.

Comments

• jonboy61jonboy61 Registered Users Posts: 28 Big grins
    edited January 23, 2010
    BTW, I got the adapter from "fotodiox" for about $50. Machined, well made with tight clearances and nowhere near the $180 from Novoflex or Olympus.
  • InternautInternaut Registered Users Posts: 347 Major grins
    edited January 24, 2010
    Avoid the menus
    I haven't played with one of the Pen cameras yet but as you're framing your shots through the VF, you should be able to bring up a control panel on the main screen. This has everything that matters on it.