City Lights in the Arctic

Mark LedinghamMark Ledingham Registered Users Posts: 104 Major grins
edited January 29, 2010 in Street and Documentary
The title may be a bit misleading. You'll have to forgive me for that...

I was out shooting with my camera the other day, taking a few shots as I walked around town. The timing was just right, because of the location of the city in which I live. Nearly 300 miles north of the Arctic Circle, the sun had been hidden by the horizon for almost two months when I shot these images at noon. Normally, this time of day wouldn't be the best for slow shutter shots, but they didn't turn out all that bad - considering how little light there was. Both were shot at f/5.6 and 1/6 sec (as far as I recall).

#1 - City Lights I

768704586_xDF36-M.jpg

#2 - City Lights II

771367268_zYpW5-M.jpg

Enjoy!
All the best from northern Norway,
Mark Ledingham

Please visit Mark Ledingham Photography ...You might just like it!

Comments

• NirNir Registered Users Posts: 1,400 Major grins
    edited January 24, 2010
    Mark,

Two very beautiful images!
    Maybe you should go on shooting at 1/6 even when you do get more light... headscratch.gif

I'm not sure they can be defined "street", although obviously created in the street, but then again, how important are definitions?

I like them both!

Nir Alon

images of my thoughts
  • VayCayMomVayCayMom Registered Users Posts: 1,870 Major grins
    edited January 25, 2010
    VERY interesting, I also like both shots. Colors are great.Thanks for sharing.
    Trudy
    www.CottageInk.smugmug.com

NIKON D700
  • PattiPatti Registered Users Posts: 1,576 Major grins
    edited January 29, 2010
    They remind me of impressionist paintings. Lovely colour.
    The use of a camera is similar to that of a knife. You can use it to peel potatoes, or carve a flute. ~ E. Kahlmeyer
    ... I'm still peeling potatoes.

patti hinton photography
  • bdcolenbdcolen Registered Users Posts: 3,804 Major grins
    edited January 29, 2010
    The title may be a bit misleading. You'll have to forgive me for that...

I was out shooting with my camera the other day, taking a few shots as I walked around town. The timing was just right, because of the location of the city in which I live. Nearly 300 miles north of the Arctic Circle, the sun had been hidden by the horizon for almost two months when I shot these images at noon. Normally, this time of day wouldn't be the best for slow shutter shots, but they didn't turn out all that bad - considering how little light there was. Both were shot at f/5.6 and 1/6 sec (as far as I recall).

#1 - City Lights I

[[/IMG]

Enjoy!

Really lovely images, particularly the second. As to the first, it's an odd one. There's enough there that's recognizable that I have to ask 'so?' when I look at it. It might have worked better had you been back further from the subject, showing them head-to-foot. In any case, this is a neat experiment - keep going.clap.gifclap.gif
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com
    "He not busy being born is busy dying." Bob Dylan

"The more ambiguous the photograph is, the better it is..." Leonard Freed