I'll Introduce Myself w/ Union Square

RiderRider Registered Users Posts: 14 Big grins
edited January 27, 2010 in Street and Documentary
I'll not bore you with lots of detail--there's brief bio/background information at my photo website. My father introduced me to shooting, and it's something I've enjoyed all my life. It's just a hobby at the moment, but my work life lets me travel to interesting places and shoot.

I took all these recently at Union Square in NYC. I wanted to break in a new lens and thought NYC would be a good place to do it, so I hopped on a plane and gave myself one hour in one city block. Here are a few of the images. It was a fun creative exercise:

unionsquare03.jpg

unionsquare05.jpg

unionsquare06.jpg

unionsquare09.jpg

unionsquare16.jpg

unionsquare18.jpg

unionsquare15.jpg

unionsquare22.jpg

unionsquare25.jpg

unionsquare27.jpg

unionsquare28.jpg

unionsquare32.jpg

unionsquare35.jpg

Anyway, I'm glad to join you all here and look forward to hanging around!

Comments

• Darren Troy CDarren Troy C Registered Users Posts: 1,927 Major grins
    edited January 23, 2010
    Great shots. Probably more suited for the Street style/PJ forum but either way....nice eye!
  • RiderRider Registered Users Posts: 14 Big grins
    edited January 23, 2010
    Great shots. Probably more suited for the Street style/PJ forum but either way....nice eye!

Oops! I'm still feeling my way around--if anyone has the power to move the thread, please do so. thumb.gif
  • lizzard_nyclizzard_nyc Registered Users Posts: 4,056 Major grins
    edited January 23, 2010
    WELCOME!
    Yes I hope this thread finds its way to PJ/Street, I think it will be well received.

I love your series--all of it. Some work better than others but it' s great.
    Great use of color.
    Liz A.
    _________
  • ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
    edited January 24, 2010
    These are really nice! Looking at them helps me to remember why I used to think that B&W was a cop out (before I fell under B.D. spell.) It's an inspiration to work harder on color.

Please post more. How's your color in NYC wintertime?
    If not now, when?
  • lizzard_nyclizzard_nyc Registered Users Posts: 4,056 Major grins
    edited January 24, 2010
    Just went to your photo site--you do get around!
    I saw you shots in La Paz, Bolivia, I'm Bolivian--I can't believe you were only there for two days--last time I was there it took me two-three days just to get acclimated without my head spinning everytime I stood up from the altitude.

Wish you had more photos of La Paz--maybe next timemwink.gif .
    Liz A.
    _________
  • ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
    edited January 24, 2010
    These also fly in the face of another of B.D.'s teachings. That 200mm f/2 lens used well hasn't lost you intimacy and it has bought great DOF control. This is especially true of #1 where the shallow DOF is integral to the story itself.

Thanks again. These are just what I needed to see.
    If not now, when?
  • W.W. WebsterW.W. Webster Registered Users Posts: 3,204 Major grins
    edited January 24, 2010
    Rider wrote:
    unionsquare28.jpg
    I like this shot. thumb.gif

However, as a matter of interest, is it common knowledge whose photo (on the t-shirts) this is but, more importantly, whether s/he is getting royalties for licensed use?

If it was my image and it was being ripped off everywhere, I'd be pissed-off! mwink.gif
  • HuzbandHuzband Registered Users Posts: 53 Big grins
    edited January 25, 2010
    I've seen these somewhere before...
    Hi, David. wave.gif
    "Most of us work from life as a starting point." Ken Rockwell

Canon 50D, 30D, various lenses
    '08 BMW R12RT "Hammerhead"
    '08 KLR 685 "Rover"
    '03 Golden Retriever "Farley"
  • bdcolenbdcolen Registered Users Posts: 3,804 Major grins
    edited January 25, 2010
    Rider wrote:
    I'll not bore you with lots of detail--there's brief bio/background information at my photo website. My father introduced me to shooting, and it's something I've enjoyed all my life. It's just a hobby at the moment, but my work life lets me travel to interesting places and shoot.

I took all these recently at Union Square in NYC. I wanted to break in a new lens and thought NYC would be a good place to do it, so I hopped on a plane and gave myself one hour in one city block. Here are a few of the images. It was a fun creative exercise:

Anyway, I'm glad to join you all here and look forward to hanging around!

Nice group of shots, though you might want to go back in and adjust the color balance a bit. clap.gifclap.gif
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com
    "He not busy being born is busy dying." Bob Dylan

"The more ambiguous the photograph is, the better it is..." Leonard Freed
    edited January 27, 2010
    rutt wrote:
    Please post more. How's your color in NYC wintertime?

I actually live in Nashville, but it's more colorful here in the winter than in NYC.

These all used a drop in circular polarizing filter.
    edited January 27, 2010
    Just went to your photo site--you do get around!
    I saw you shots in La Paz, Bolivia, I'm Bolivian--I can't believe you were only there for two days--last time I was there it took me two-three days just to get acclimated without my head spinning everytime I stood up from the altitude.

Wish you had more photos of La Paz--maybe next timemwink.gif .

I almost wasn't there even two days! mwink.gif The left-seat pilot--the only one on this AA flight who had experience landing there--got food poisoning on the flight. So we landed elsewhere first to get a pilot who DID have experience. It made us really late, though.

One downside of only being there a short while is that my body didn't get used to the elevation that quickly.
    edited January 27, 2010
    rutt wrote:
    These also fly in the face of another of B.D.'s teachings. That 200mm f/2 lens used well hasn't lost you intimacy and it has bought great DOF control. This is especially true of #1 where the shallow DOF is integral to the story itself.

I actually found that the 200 was just about right, because it let me get lost against a streetlamp or signpost. The lens itself is "attention getting" which is not good in that setting, so I could get far enough away from the subject(s) to not be gawked at by what I was trying to shoot.

I do like #1. It was a weird feeling seeing him lying in the grass. I knew there was something there, but it escaped me. I shot him from the side, first, and that obviously didn't work. But shooting from the head first, long and low, the light bulb went off. thumb.gif
    edited January 27, 2010
    bdcolen wrote:
    Nice group of shots, though you might want to go back in and adjust the color balance a bit. clap.gifclap.gif

I'm new to DGrin, so I don't get the inside joke. Hopefully it's not at my expense. :D

You must be B.D, I gather, so I'm in some hallowed hall here. mwink.gif
  • bdcolenbdcolen Registered Users Posts: 3,804 Major grins
    edited January 27, 2010
    Rider wrote:
    I'm new to DGrin, so I don't get the inside joke. Hopefully it's not at my expense. :D

You must be B.D, I gather, so I'm in some hallowed hall here. mwink.gif

Nothing hallowed, and no joke - on my screen virtually all of these shots have a bit of a purple cast and they'd be better without it.

As to the 200 - There's no question it has its used, particularly in terms of isolating subjects. But I wouldn't use it as a 'go to' lens on the street, because it does isolate subjects, it draws attention to you, and you end up 'sniping,' rather than connecting with your subjects. None of which isn't to suggest that you don't have a nice group of images here, because you do - have a nice group of images. clap.gif
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com
    "He not busy being born is busy dying." Bob Dylan

"The more ambiguous the photograph is, the better it is..." Leonard Freed
    edited January 27, 2010
    bdcolen wrote:
    Nothing hallowed, and no joke - on my screen virtually all of these shots have a bit of a purple cast and they'd be better without it.

Thanks--I'll check on that. I didn't have calibration running when I first edited these images. None of the color is adjusted (that I can recall), so maybe it's something with the filter.
    As to the 200 - There's no question it has its used, particularly in terms of isolating subjects. But I wouldn't use it as a 'go to' lens on the street, because it does isolate subjects, it draws attention to you, and you end up 'sniping,' rather than connecting with your subjects. None of which isn't to suggest that you don't have a nice group of images here, because you do - have a nice group of images. clap.gif

Thank you! Very kind of you.

I definitely agree about the walk around lens. It's too damn big, for one thing. My two walk-around lenses are the 24-70 and 70-200.