Hi-Key Kid Portrait (1 shot)

kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
edited January 25, 2010 in People
This is my first attempt at Hi-Key. I used three speedlites, two for background, and one for front lighting, above camera, and an angled reflector resting against the floor. I think I had the background too hot, as it looks to have blown out the edges of her hair. But otherwise, any thoughts?

771755034_fFqLv-XL.jpg

Thanks!
-joel

Comments

• angevin1angevin1 Registered Users Posts: 3,403 Major grins
    edited January 24, 2010
    Joel,

I think the lights a little heavy, at least on her cheeks. I tend to want to side-light, even in HK just to produce some variation in the symmetry on the face. I do understand lighting from above, but have had little results that I like, esp. in HK.

Looking at the gallery that this came from, Why not try using the window to allow some wrap around lighting and add a wee bit of fill to taste....just to see how softly you can light her....me being a fan of soft light, esp. for girls~

Charming Princess otherwise~:D
    tom wise
  • kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    edited January 24, 2010
    Thanks, Tom. That's exactly the kind of feedback I was looking for. The overhead lighting in this case was using a home-made foamy refector, ala Chuck Gardiner. I'm going to set up my Softlighter today and will try the lighting off to one side, and either a reflector or a bit of fill on the other side. Getting some window light on her is also a good idea.

Much obliged.

-joel
  • angevin1angevin1 Registered Users Posts: 3,403 Major grins
    edited January 25, 2010
    kdog wrote:
    Thanks, Tom. That's exactly the kind of feedback I was looking for. The overhead lighting in this case was using a home-made foamy refector, ala Chuck Gardiner. I'm going to set up my Softlighter today and will try the lighting off to one side, and either a reflector or a bit of fill on the other side. Getting some window light on her is also a good idea.

Much obliged.

-joel

Look forward to seeing it~

cheers,
    tom wise