RustingInPeaceRustingInPeace Registered Users Posts: 255 Major grins
edited January 29, 2010 in People
666262337_f2bne-M.jpg

666267155_DJs45-M.jpg

“Look, I'm not an intellectual - I just take pictures.” -Helmut Newton-

Comments

• HackboneHackbone Registered Users Posts: 4,027 Major grins
    edited January 24, 2010
    To me high key is using a very light background. Here the bushes/trees kill the effect. You have mostly blown highlights. Not detail in blouse, teeth, forehead, tip of the nose, etc. Try for a different angle and get the sky as you bkg and maybe a scrim over her head.
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited January 24, 2010
    As Charles said, this is not a high key, it's a pair of overexposed images... ne_nau.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • kris10jokris10jo Registered Users Posts: 284 Major grins
    edited January 24, 2010
    the composition is very nice in both photos, but i wonder if you could retrieve some of the detail by adjusting the exposure and contrast to achieve more of that high-key look you're aiming for. her smile is lovely in the first one.
    Kristen
  • QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited January 26, 2010
    Nikolai wrote:
    As Charles said, this is not a high key, it's a pair of overexposed images... ne_nau.gif

hmm..I like them anyway. I think it works though dial it back just a touch.:D
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • codiac2600codiac2600 Registered Users Posts: 329 Major grins
    edited January 26, 2010
    Not to be mean to the other photographers but the definition of high key photography is not shooting on a white or even light background. The tonality of the image technically must be on the high end, or bright, and that is it and as such these images are "high key".

On the photos they are good and on a "high end" calibrated monitor there is detail throughout the photos with very little blown out except below the breast and on the lower left shoulder. If you don't believe me please run a thresh-hold check and you'll see that very little of the photos is over exposed.

I do love the captures and you are correct in calling them high key.
    -Chris :)
    http://simplyphotostudio.com
    http://decayedbeauty.com
  • RustingInPeaceRustingInPeace Registered Users Posts: 255 Major grins
    edited January 27, 2010
    codiac2600 wrote:
    Not to be mean to the other photographers but the definition of high key photography is not shooting on a white or even light background. The tonality of the image technically must be on the high end, or bright, and that is it and as such these images are "high key".

On the photos they are good and on a "high end" calibrated monitor there is detail throughout the photos with very little blown out except below the breast and on the lower left shoulder. If you don't believe me please run a thresh-hold check and you'll see that very little of the photos is over exposed.

I do love the captures and you are correct in calling them high key.

thank you......I was going to say I have a 20x30 of this image in the studio and there is plenty of detail

• kris10jokris10jo Registered Users Posts: 284 Major grins
    edited January 28, 2010
    The term high-key can be a little confusing, at least for me. So, I should rephrase. If it were my photo, I would have enhanced the contrast a touch, because I would like to see the detail a bit more. Personal preference. I do like both of the photos.
    Kristen
  • D'BuggsD'Buggs Registered Users Posts: 958 Major grins
    edited January 28, 2010
    thank you......I was going to say I have a 20x30 of this image in the studio and there is plenty of detail

I bet that they look better on paper than they do on the screen.
  • RustingInPeaceRustingInPeace Registered Users Posts: 255 Major grins
    edited January 29, 2010
    D'Buggs wrote:
    I bet that they look better on paper than they do on the screen.

Bay Photo did a smoking job. I highly recomend their Giclee prints.