Options

High School Wrestling

ole docole doc Registered Users Posts: 70 Big grins
edited January 27, 2010 in Sports
I bought the Zoom Nikkor 70-300mm f4.5-5.6 AF-S VR specifically for taking pictures of my grandchildren in their various sports. Here's the first. Minimal post processing except for cropping, skin tones, and some clean up with clone tool.
Camera was D60 with SB 600. Shutter priority at 1/200 and ISO 1600.
Nick
4301201828_431039f1a1_b.jpg

Comments

• Options
    MacushlaMacushla Registered Users Posts: 347 Major grins
    edited January 26, 2010
    Nick - This looks great. I just got a DSLR camera and I'm trying (unsuccessfully) to shoot my son's wrestling meets. So far all the photos have come out very grainy. Keep posting wrestling photos I'd love to see more.
  • Options
    edited January 27, 2010
    Macushla wrote:
    Nick - This looks great. I just got a DSLR camera and I'm trying (unsuccessfully) to shoot my son's wrestling meets. So far all the photos have come out very grainy. Keep posting wrestling photos I'd love to see more.
    I don't have much opportunity to capture wrestling since my grandson's school plays in a league that is all over. If your pictures were too grainy (noise) be sure you have chosen your own ISO since on automatic,, the camera may search into too high a value. On my D60 higher than 1600 guarantees noticeable noise. The picture I posted had almost no cropping since cropping will exaggerate noise. Also, if your pictures are underexposed they will appear grainy.
    Nick
  • Options
    johngjohng Registered Users Posts: 1,658 Major grins
    edited January 27, 2010
    A good start.

The biggest issue here is you've got a lot of different color casts on the skin tones. Yellow in the back, a lot of red in the front. That's the trouble some times when flash and ambient are mixed. And, in TV mode the camera will basically be using the flash for fill and allow a lot of ambient light in.

Next time in the same gym I would suggest shooting Manual exposure. Drop the ISO down to 800, keeping the same aperture and shutter speed. You should get the flash contributing more to the exposure and that will help control the different color casts.

You said you played around with skin tones in PP so I can't comment on whether your PP made things better or worse. But using more flash power should help even the coloring out more. You'll still have some differences (I don't like controlling the lighting totally by mounted flash so to really eliminate it you would need to use multiple flashes/strobes which is impractical for your use).

Hope that helps.
  • Options
    MacushlaMacushla Registered Users Posts: 347 Major grins
    edited January 27, 2010
    Thanks for your feedback Nick. I am going to try again today.
  • Options
    edited January 27, 2010
    johng,
    thanks for the input. all help is very appreciated.
    Nick