Hi-Key Shot

RBrogenRBrogen Registered Users Posts: 1,518 Major grins
edited January 26, 2010 in People
Here's a shot that I took a few weeks ago. C&C welcome.

750950238_eFi5d-XL.jpg
Randy Brogen, CPP
www.brogen.com

Member: PPA , PPANE, PPAM & NAPP

Comments

• adbsgicomadbsgicom Registered Users Posts: 3,615 Major grins
    edited January 24, 2010
    Almost as much a question as a comment, but the catch lights totally obscure the pupil. Maybe that's common and I'm just noticing here for some reason. I like the image overall. though.
    - Andrew

Who is wise? He who learns from everyone.
    My SmugMug Site
  • HackboneHackbone Registered Users Posts: 4,027 Major grins
    edited January 24, 2010
    Very nice photo. Love the lighting. I agree on the eyes. Somewhat distracting.
  • RBrogenRBrogen Registered Users Posts: 1,518 Major grins
    edited January 24, 2010
    Thanks for commenting Andrew and Charles. The lighting setup actually had a tri-flector just beneath her shoulders and a softbox above at 45 aimed down. The BG is actually a 6' octabank softbox that was angled up and the subject was backed up against the front of it.
    Randy Brogen, CPP
    www.brogen.com

• Dupont24Dupont24 Registered Users Posts: 237 Major grins
    edited January 24, 2010
    Very nice photo and lighting.
    :clap Canon 40D and Canon 7D
    Canon 24-105mm f/4L IS EF USM, Canon 17-55mm f/2.8 IS EF-S (USM), Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L USM, Canon 50mm 1.8, and Canon Speedlite 430EX II, Bounce

dome.http://moreno24.smugmug.com/
    edited January 24, 2010
    Dupont24 wrote:
    Very nice photo and lighting.

Thanks Dupont24
    Randy Brogen, CPP
    www.brogen.com

• kris10jokris10jo Registered Users Posts: 284 Major grins
    edited January 24, 2010
    beautiful photo.
    Kristen
  • MitchellMitchell Registered Users Posts: 3,503 Major grins
    edited January 25, 2010
    The lighting here is excellent. Very well controlled.
  • kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    edited January 25, 2010
    Sweet shot! Agree on the pupils thing though.

Cheers,
    -joel
    edited January 25, 2010
    Thanks Joel, Kris10jo, and Mitchell.
    Randy Brogen, CPP
    www.brogen.com

• D'BuggsD'Buggs Registered Users Posts: 958 Major grins
    edited January 25, 2010
    Does anyone else feel as though the image is a little overly sharped???
    Other than that, I think its a very nice portrait - The light balance seems to be spot-on. thumb.gif

The catch lights don't bother me all that much. I find they add interest.
    edited January 25, 2010
    D'Buggs wrote:
    Does anyone else feel as though the image is a little overly sharped???
    Other than that, I think its a very nice portrait - The light balance seems to be spot-on. thumb.gif

The catch lights don't bother me all that much. I find they add interest.

Thanks for commenting D'Buggs.
    Randy Brogen, CPP
    www.brogen.com

• dogwooddogwood Registered Users Posts: 2,572 Major grins
    edited January 26, 2010
    Not quite down with the tilt of the photo myself. You can use other posing tricks, in my opinion, to keep the photo looking good without the (again, in my opinion) cliche tilt. You'll never see a commercial beauty shot with this kind of tilt and there's a reason for that.

In terms of the catchlights, I've done a similar setup with no probs so here are some tips. Use a white reflector for fill below--and place it a little lower than you have it so it will show a little less in the eyes. I have this really crappy multi reflector that literally has the gold and silver surfaces falling apart but the white is almost a vinyl surface and works awesome for a fill.

The softbox catchlights might look more natural with a round scrim in front (I know photoflex sb's come with this). Personally I prefer a beauty dish over a softbox -- they give killer catch lights (note the subtle fill reflector catchlights)!

Here's an example:

115222290.jpg

A strip dome can also look great as the key-- and won't obscure the pupils as much.

Portland, Oregon Photographer Pete Springer
    website blog instagram facebook g+

edited January 26, 2010
    dogwood wrote:
    Not quite down with the tilt of the photo myself. You can use other posing tricks, in my opinion, to keep the photo looking good without the (again, in my opinion) cliche tilt. You'll never see a commercial beauty shot with this kind of tilt and there's a reason for that.

In terms of the catchlights, I've done a similar setup with no probs so here are some tips. Use a white reflector for fill below--and place it a little lower than you have it so it will show a little less in the eyes. I have this really crappy multi reflector that literally has the gold and silver surfaces falling apart but the white is almost a vinyl surface and works awesome for a fill.

The softbox catchlights might look more natural with a round scrim in front (I know photoflex sb's come with this). Personally I prefer a beauty dish over a softbox -- they give killer catch lights (note the subtle fill reflector catchlights)!

Here's an example:

115222290.jpg

A strip dome can also look great as the key-- and won't obscure the pupils as much.

Thanks for the great info dogwood. I guess I should have included in the initial post that this was not a planned or real shoot. A place down the street rents their studio space with all sorts of lighting equipment and my niece and a friend of hers volunteered to be my models for the day to test out every light setup they had. This particular setup was an exact replica of a shot that Scott Kelby had done a video on using 2 lights and a tri-flector. The only difference between his setup and mine was that I used a 6' octabank as the BG and he used a 4' square SB. The look is referred to by Scott as the "Oil of Olay" look. In a planned shoot I would have set it up a bit differently but given we were literally just goofing, and wheeling lights in and out it wasn't a biggie. Thanks for the comments.
    Randy Brogen, CPP
    www.brogen.com