Sold Out

TonyCooperTonyCooper Registered Users Posts: 2,276 Major grins
edited February 1, 2010 in Street and Documentary
He seems to have sold out of whatever he was selling from his truck, but is quite content to just sit there, sip his drink, and watch traffic.

772922428_VZKAz-XL.jpg
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
http://tonycooper.smugmug.com/

Comments

• sara505sara505 Registered Users Posts: 1,684 Major grins
    edited January 25, 2010
    TonyCooper wrote:
    He seems to have sold out of whatever he was selling from his truck, but is quite content to just sit there, sip his drink, and watch traffic.

772922428_VZKAz-XL.jpg

I like this shot, but would have preferred knowing nothing about it, left wondering.
    I have come to believe that a good photo needs no introduction.
    I do like it. I find it a bit humorous.
  • WinemanWineman Registered Users Posts: 204 Major grins
    edited January 25, 2010
    He just does not want to go back to the wife!!! Laughing.gif...

I like the shot, thanks for sharing.

Z.
    I do not suffer insanity... I enjoy it!!!
  • bfjrbfjr Registered Users Posts: 10,980 Major grins
    edited January 25, 2010
    Wineman wrote:
    He just does not want to go back to the wife!!! Laughing.gif...

I like the shot, thanks for sharing.

Z.

Maybe she's the one that put em there, I mean I'm just sayin rolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gif
  • bdcolenbdcolen Registered Users Posts: 3,804 Major grins
    edited January 29, 2010
    sara505 wrote:
    I like this shot, but would have preferred knowing nothing about it, left wondering.
    I have come to believe that a good photo needs no introduction.
    I do like it. I find it a bit humorous.

BINGO! I love this shot. It is just plain WEIRD - and weird is wonderful!clap.gifclap.gif However, when I start to read the explanation, the photo fails. Okay, where's the road? Where's the rest of the story?

IF this was supposed to show that he has sold all his goods and is watching the traffic goes by, it's an abject failure. However, if this is just an observed moment, it's a truly wonderful image. I'd like to believe that it's the latter. :Dclap.gif
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com
    "He not busy being born is busy dying." Bob Dylan

"The more ambiguous the photograph is, the better it is..." Leonard Freed
  • TonyCooperTonyCooper Registered Users Posts: 2,276 Major grins
    edited January 29, 2010
    bdcolen wrote:
    BINGO! I love this shot. It is just plain WEIRD - and weird is wonderful!clap.gifclap.gif However, when I start to read the explanation, the photo fails. Okay, where's the road? Where's the rest of the story?

IF this was supposed to show that he has sold all his goods and is watching the traffic goes by, it's an abject failure. However, if this is just an observed moment, it's a truly wonderful image. I'd like to believe that it's the latter. :Dclap.gif

I wouldn't know how to have taken the shot to conform to telling the full story. To get the road in, I would have to have pulled back to the point where the man's details were obscure. To show that he had sold all his goods I would have had to have been there earlier in the day and taken before and after shots.

My "explanation" was clearly stated as conjecture. I saw the shot, took the picture, and then conjectured that he had sold out of whatever he had in the first place and conjectured that he was content to remain seated and watch traffic.
    edited January 31, 2010
    TonyCooper wrote:
    I wouldn't know how to have taken the shot to conform to telling the full story. To get the road in, I would have to have pulled back to the point where the man's details were obscure. To show that he had sold all his goods I would have had to have been there earlier in the day and taken before and after shots.

My "explanation" was clearly stated as conjecture. I saw the shot, took the picture, and then conjectured that he had sold out of whatever he had in the first place and conjectured that he was content to remain seated and watch traffic.

Well, there are two alternatives here:
    The first was to use a wide lens and shoot relatively close, so that we could see the subject but also get some road and setting, if that's what you wanted to show. I may be wrong, but I get the feeling that you do allot of 'sniping' with a long lens. I'd get closer with a shorter lens.

The other, very easy solution, is to skip the story. Just post the image. Give it a title if you want to, but make the title ambiguous. "Truckin'" maybe? The great thing about this photo is what I referred to earlier as its weirdness, its ambiguity. What is going on here? Let us guess.
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com

• TonyCooperTonyCooper Registered Users Posts: 2,276 Major grins
    edited February 1, 2010
    bdcolen wrote:
    Well, there are two alternatives here:
    The first was to use a wide lens and shoot relatively close, so that we could see the subject but also get some road and setting, if that's what you wanted to show. I may be wrong, but I get the feeling that you do allot of 'sniping' with a long lens. I'd get closer with a shorter lens.

The other, very easy solution, is to skip the story. Just post the image. Give it a title if you want to, but make the title ambiguous. "Truckin'" maybe? The great thing about this photo is what I referred to earlier as its weirdness, its ambiguity. What is going on here? Let us guess.

Dead on. I use my 55/200 90% of the time. In this case, it was a divided highway and I shot from the opposite side. The truck was well back from the highway.

Not making excuses, but I'm uncomfortable shooting up close to people.
    It seems intrusive to me. It might result in better pictures, but - then - I'd take fewer pictures because of my hesitancy of getting close. I don't like to be noticed by the subject.

I've had other comments about thread titles leading people, and seen comments on other people's work on this. Being more ambiguous in titles is a good suggestion.
    edited February 1, 2010
    TonyCooper wrote:
    Dead on. I use my 55/200 90% of the time. In this case, it was a divided highway and I shot from the opposite side. The truck was well back from the highway.

Not making excuses, but I'm uncomfortable shooting up close to people.
    It seems intrusive to me. It might result in better pictures, but - then - I'd take fewer pictures because of my hesitancy of getting close. I don't like to be noticed by the subject.

I've had other comments about thread titles leading people, and seen comments on other people's work on this. Being more ambiguous in titles is a good suggestion.

Allow me to make a suggestion - try to push past that discomfort. Seriously. It is something we all wrestle with - I know I do.rolleyes1.gif It is perhaps the greatest challenge facing someone attempting to do street photography. But if you can force yourself to do it, you may find yourself getting more comfortable with it. (If you don't, you don't, and it's hardly the end of the world.) But when you stop and think about it, shooting someone from across the highway with a big honking 200 mm lens is no less invasive/intrusive that shooting them from three feet with a 28. In fact, it might be argued its more intrusive philosophically/ethically because its secretive. mwink.gif
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com