Options

Login Issues with IE6

TBTTBT Registered Users Posts: 40 Big grins
edited January 25, 2010 in Bug Reporting
Howdy

1. I'm trying to log in with IE6 and the login page has the username/password fields but no "LOGIN" button.

I don't use IE6 very often but I beleive my picasa uploader is using it. The uploader now goes to an almost blank page with a link to login. Clicking that link goes to a page with the behavior above.

Give us your site name: smugmug

Describe the problem: can't log in or upload pictures in picasa using IE6

List the steps to replicate and recreate the problem:

Open http://www.smugmug.com in IE6.
Logout if you are already logged in.
Click on the login button.

Provide links to your galleries, photos, etc so we can look: NA
Let us know your system, and browser and version (e.g., Firefox 3, on Windows): Windows XP with IE6

This was all working when I uploaded our holiday pictures. So either one of the recent IE updates nuked it or the login page changed.

Thanks!!!!

Comments

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited January 25, 2010
    Try this

There is a setting in IE6 that disabled PNG images:

http://www.smugmug.com/photos/96216526-L-1.jpg

Tools > Options > Security > Custom Level

Binary and Script Behaviors: Disabled

That turns them off (along with other ActiveX things) - enabling that
    will turn them back on. If this fails to work, write our Support Heroes, thanks.

But better yet, update your ancient browser to IE8 :)
  • Options
    TBTTBT Registered Users Posts: 40 Big grins
    edited January 25, 2010
    Andy wrote:
    Try this

But better yet, update your ancient browser to IE8 :)

Andy

Thank you so much for your prompt respones. I'll try it again when I'm on that computer and update this thread. It's unfortunate that I may need to make IE even less secure to work with smugmug. As far as I know I'm just using the default settings.

Regarding upgrading: I absolutely never use IE6 so I saw no point in bogging down my system with Bill's latest and greatest.

However I'm pretty sure the Picasa uploader accesses some parts of IE so I'm finding out I do use IE. While I definitely should upgrade I would suggest that at least your login page be made compatible with IE6. Many enterprises require the "ancient browser" due to compatibility with legacy applications, and it's still hanging in at 20% or so of the browser market (by comparison IE7 is 15 and IE8 is 22).

Thanks again!
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited January 25, 2010
    TBT wrote:
    It's unfortunate that I may need to make IE even less secure to work with smugmug.

We work just fine with default-out of the box settings for IE6. That setting is not part of the default settings.

We've been at this a long time (8+ years) and we have always supported IE6. It's still the world's worst browser and you should update if you own the machine, no reason not to have a better browsing experience.