Options

*ENTRY* Thread DSS #43 (Door or Window)

LlywellynLlywellyn Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,186 Major grins
edited February 8, 2010 in The Dgrin Challenges
Dgrin Sharp Shooters Challenge #43

Welcome to Round #43 of the Dgrin Sharp Shooters Challenges. This challenge is open to any Dgrin member. It will run from Monday, January 25, 08:00am, EST time (GMT -5) to Monday, February 8, 08:00am, EST time (GMT -5).

The topic ready for your interpretation: Door or Window

If you're looking for a window of opportunity, just remember that when one door closes, another opens. Open or closed, your photo this round must include at least one door or window in the frame.

Your Judges:
anonymouscuban (Winner of Round 40)
Llywellyn (Guest Judge)

IMPORTANT NOTE: Your entry is to be submitted directly into a Smugmug gallery. It's pretty simple, just go to the gallery link below, and follow the upload instructions at the top of the page: Remember, the basics stay the same: 1 entry per person, and the photo must be fresh, taken during this contest period. Do not use a minimal save method (such as "save for web"), and your exif will be embedded in your image, no worries!

To avoid disqualification, read, in full, the Dgrin Sharp Shooters Challenge Rules, there have been some slight modifications.

Comments

• Options
    richterslrichtersl Registered Users Posts: 3,322 Major grins
    edited January 25, 2010
    This is going to be one competitive round....thumb.gif
  • Options
    michswissmichswiss Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,235 Major grins
    edited January 25, 2010
    I might try this one in colour. I probably won't be successful, but I'll try! eek7.gifrolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
    edited January 25, 2010
    Cool. Looking forward to seeing what everyone comes up with!
    "I'm not yelling. I'm Cuban. That's how we talk."

Moderator of the People and Go Figure forums

My Smug Site
  • Options
    TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
    edited January 25, 2010
    Maybe now is a good time to bring up old discussions about shooting a duel theme.

Door or Window.... NOT both.

Thoughts?

Hey what about a door with a window?

or even a window with a door??

:hide
    Aaron Nelson
  • Options
    CWSkopecCWSkopec Registered Users Posts: 1,325 Major grins
    edited January 25, 2010
    Maybe now is a good time to bring up old discussions about shooting a duel theme.

Thoughts?

I'm just going to take a pic of my sliding glass porch door and make you figure it out, Aaron! blbl.gif
    Chris
    SmugMug QA
    My Photos
  • Options
    anwmn1anwmn1 Registered Users Posts: 3,469 Major grins
    edited January 25, 2010

Thoughts?

What if there are several different windows and doors in the same image?? That might really be tough for you. :D
    "The Journey of life is as much in oneself as the roads one travels"

Aaron Newman

Facebook: Capturing Light and Emotion
  • Options
    edited January 25, 2010
    anwmn1 wrote:
    What if there are several different windows and doors in the same image?? That might really be tough for you. :D

Well,... If I were the grand judge poopaw it would be easy to deal with because "door or window" is not plural, and IMO duel theme entries would get nix'd also!:D
    Aaron Nelson
  • Options
    edited January 25, 2010
    What was it people smarter than I said on this in challenges past? You can try to shoot for both themes in a image, but in trying for both, you weaken both. Or something along those lines. :D

Certainly not disallowed, but not always the best tactic given results in challenges past. mwink.gif
  • Options
    HoofClixHoofClix Registered Users Posts: 1,156 Major grins
    edited January 25, 2010
    My pictures always have two sides, even if one of them is only a backprint...
    Mark
    www.HoofClix.com / Personal Facebook / Facebook Page
    and I do believe its true.. that there are roads left in both of our shoes..
  • Options
    sepplettsepplett Registered Users Posts: 48 Big grins
    edited January 25, 2010
    Oh another challenge for me! I have not done so well in the past with doors or windows.

Can't wait to get started!
    Stephanie

Inspiration is everywhere you look.......
    Beauty is in the smallest details..........
    Love is a blessing..............................
    My camera is my soul to the world.....

edited January 26, 2010
    Door and window photographs tend to be artistic in nature and are actually pretty popular as wall decor... I actually have a gallery called windows and doors a couple of the shots were entered in the "last photographer standing contest"... here is the link if anyone is looking for ideas thumb.gif
    http://vxphotography.smugmug.com/Photography-by-Winston/Portfolio/Windows-and-Doors/7836105_qt3vP#507711469_uv72E

Winston
  • Options
    tinamarie52tinamarie52 Registered Users Posts: 954 Major grins
    edited January 26, 2010
    Lots of ideas for this one! I can see a fun weekend coming up!

Chris
    http://chrisadamczyk.smugmug.com

When you come to a door... walk through it.
    If it's locked... find an open window.
  • Options
    bfjrbfjr Registered Users Posts: 10,980 Major grins
    edited January 26, 2010
    Yeah I can do window or door, need to find some Windex however rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    AnnAnnAnnAnn Registered Users Posts: 7 Beginner grinner
    edited January 28, 2010
    date photo may be taken
    Just wanted to check - Is it correct that a photo taken January 20, 2010 would Not be eligible for entry?

thank you - ann
  • Options
    edited January 28, 2010
    AnnAnn wrote:
    Just wanted to check - Is it correct that a photo taken January 20, 2010 would Not be eligible for entry?

thank you - ann

seems that way... it's a sure bet you will find a DQ in your lap
    Aaron Nelson
  • Options
    HoofClixHoofClix Registered Users Posts: 1,156 Major grins
    edited January 28, 2010
    AnnAnn wrote:

thank you - ann
    AnnAnn, welcome.. You are correct, a photo taken January 20 would be not be eligible. Needed to be taken after 8AM on January 25th. BTW, the dates are always in the first post of the entry thread, usually within the first sentence!

Hop in... We're goldfish, not pirahnas!
    Mark
    www.HoofClix.com / Personal Facebook / Facebook Page
    and I do believe its true.. that there are roads left in both of our shoes..
  • Options
    nightpixelsnightpixels Registered Users Posts: 536 Major grins
    edited January 31, 2010
    Hi Kerry,

In the rules page, it says "In the event of a triptych or other multi-shot image, a 1 pixel black or white separation line will be permitted.". Does it mean those lines must be separation lines ONLY (lines between the connecting images) and not borders? Can we include borders too if the entry is a triptych image and the borders/separation lines are 1 pixel wide?
    Allen Parseghian

Los Angeles dance photographer

• Options
    rteest42rteest42 Registered Users Posts: 540 Major grins
    edited January 31, 2010
    Oh, this challenge I am going to HAVE to enter...windows and doors occupy an amazing amount of my subject matter!!!
  • Options
    edited February 1, 2010
    Hi Kerry,

In the rules page, it says "In the event of a triptych or other multi-shot image, a 1 pixel black or white separation line will be permitted.". Does it mean those lines must be separation lines ONLY (lines between the connecting images) and not borders? Can we include borders too if the entry is a triptych image and the borders/separation lines are 1 pixel wide?

Lines for separation only; no borders. thumb.gif
  • Options
    nightpixelsnightpixels Registered Users Posts: 536 Major grins
    edited February 1, 2010
    Llywellyn wrote:
    Lines for separation only; no borders. thumb.gif

Got it, thanks!
    Allen Parseghian

Los Angeles dance photographer

• Options
    red_zonered_zone Registered Users Posts: 533 Major grins
    edited February 2, 2010
    It's been brought up before, but I'm curious for a judge to weigh in:

wall of windows vs. one window ... I work in a complex where a lot of buildings have a lot of windows and I've taken a few shots (nothing that quite captured the inspiration I wanted) that would probably be my entry for this challenge.

A definitive answer would help me know if I need to go on another shoot or if I can try to pp the images I already have.
    edited February 2, 2010
    Well, if the images were taken before the challenge start date, you'll need to retake them regardless. mwink.gif

How you interpret the theme is up to you. One window or many depends on your take as a photographer. thumb.gif
  • Options
    AnnAnnAnnAnn Registered Users Posts: 7 Beginner grinner
    edited February 4, 2010
    seems that way... it's a sure bet you will find a DQ in your lap

thank you, Aaron and Hoofclix. (took a while to figure out what DQ meant) :D
  • Options
    edited February 4, 2010
    AnnAnn wrote:
    thank you, Aaron and Hoofclix. (took a while to figure out what DQ meant) :D

AnnAnn, NP, ROFLMAO, FWIW IMHO IIC because a DQ can give you that WTH feeling, just remember you can always ask the OP WTH they R say'n...Laughing.gif

lol3.gif
    Aaron Nelson
  • Options
    anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
    edited February 5, 2010
    Some really cool entries in the gallery so far. Keep it up! Going to be another hard round to judge. Great job so far everyone.
    "I'm not yelling. I'm Cuban. That's how we talk."

Moderator of the People and Go Figure forums

My Smug Site
  • Options
    MarkRMarkR Registered Users Posts: 2,099 Major grins
    edited February 5, 2010
    AnnAnn, NP, ROFLMAO, FWIW IMHO IIC because a DQ can give you that WTH feeling, just remember you can always ask the OP WTH they R say'n...Laughing.gif

lol3.gif

WTF? :D
  • Options
    B RockB Rock Registered Users Posts: 181 Major grins
    edited February 6, 2010
    Question: I need some clouds for my image. If I paint them in by hand in photoshop will I be DQed?
  • Options
    edited February 6, 2010
    B Rock wrote:
    Question: I need some clouds for my image. If I paint them in by hand in photoshop will I be DQed?

No, but try not to go overboard with the false elements. Taking a photo of a cloud-filled sky during the challenge period and making a composite would be preferable. thumb.gif
  • Options
    DigitalMomDigitalMom Registered Users Posts: 62 Big grins
    edited February 7, 2010

lol3.gif

rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    edited February 7, 2010
    AnnAnn, I hope you know I'm joking with you not at you....

:D
    Aaron Nelson