Options

DSS#42 Unofficial Feedback Thread - (Photojournalism)

bf2015bf2015 Registered Users Posts: 523 Major grins
edited January 29, 2010 in The Dgrin Challenges
So, here is the official gallery to give your C&C for DSS#42

Gallery Here...

Once more into the fray. This unofficial feedback thread is a catch-all of sorts, lets make it happen:thumb

Anyway, let's start feedback on DSS #42!!

This thread is:
  • a place to post a list of your top ten favorites. (be heard, and let everyone know what images moved you.)
  • a place to post your "the making of my image"
  • a place to ask someone "how did they do that?"(for us all to see:D )
Feedback is an important part of the photographic process. While those selected as finalists get feedback from the judges and those who vote, others are never quite sure where they stand. So share your thoughts both in this thread and with comments in the actual gallery. Constructive criticism should always be welcome.

It's easy to post thumbnails (with help from our Moderator).

With the image selected in the gallery, copy its URL from your browser, add "-Th.jpg" to the end, delete the jumble of numbers and letters preceding the hashtag (#), change "gallery" to "photos" and that's it.

Example

Change this url
[LEFT]http://challenges.smugmug.com/Other/DSS-33/9546126_UcMnF#646702914_YfHpk[/LEFT]

To this (minus the space in the IMG tags)
[LEFT]http://challenges.smugmug.com/photos/646702914_YfHpk-Th.jpg[/LEFT]

Happy Feedbacking :scratch

Comments

• Options
    tinamarie52tinamarie52 Registered Users Posts: 954 Major grins
    edited January 25, 2010
    Congrats to all of the entries. This was a hard challenge and covered completely new ground for many of us. That's what it's all about. I didn't have a chance to shoot much for this and haven't entered an image. But I know I'll be shooting more in this style... until I feel ike I have a photo that I could've entered. It will help my amateur sports reporting gigs immemsely!

Thanks for the challenge LLywellyn!

Chris
    http://chrisadamczyk.smugmug.com

When you come to a door... walk through it.
    If it's locked... find an open window.
  • Options
    KevXmanKevXman Registered Users Posts: 945 Major grins
    edited January 25, 2010
    There were so many good images, it was hard to narrow it down. Here my "Top Ten" list of those that were technically spot or said something to me, or both.

773116634_uooqh-L.jpg

Good job everyone!
    — Kevin
    Enjoy today, tomorrow is not guaranteed.

My Site, My Book
  • Options
    lizzard_nyclizzard_nyc Registered Users Posts: 4,056 Major grins
    edited January 25, 2010
    I tried to narrow it down to my favorite top 10 and I can't-- I have 14 images that I think are just wonderful!
    Some great story telling here and street shots, from the mundane to the highly charged scenes, little snippets of life--WELL DONE!
    Liz A.
    _________
  • Options
    michswissmichswiss Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,235 Major grins
    edited January 25, 2010
    I've made comments on several of the shots in the gallery and will continue to add more over the next day or so. But, basically I think everyone succeeded! I don't have much choice but to shoot this style as that's what I confront every day with 20 million people, almost literally, outside my door.

But so many of you went out and pushed yourselves to take your camera's into new places and situations. clap.gifclap.gifbowdown.gif I can't wait to see how this affects your future work and challenge submissions!
  • Options
    rainbowrainbow Registered Users Posts: 2,765 Major grins
    edited January 25, 2010
    Just learned something: the comments use my Smugmug "nickname" and not my DGrin tagline. So I have to log in as a guest and use "Rainbow" as a name (:cry - cuz I have to type in codeword everytime...)
  • Options
    ASkipASkip Registered Users Posts: 224 Major grins
    edited January 25, 2010
    It's not so easy
    I stared at this challenge and the submissions for two weeks thinking "What?" and that I wouldn't even submit anything. But it's a "Challenge" so I had to learn black and white conversion (a little bit) and stuck a picture in there. These are cool, these challenges, they do make you learn something new.
    Thanks Smumug for the challenge and thanks Kevin for putting my lowly picture in your top ten.
    I have a question though, for people who took pictures of people close up, do you ask their permission? Or just go all paparazzi on them? I just can't bring myself to stick a camera in a stranger's face.
    Thanks.
    Anna
  • Options
    divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited January 25, 2010
    Just a note say I have been seriously AWOL!! I haven't even had a chance to check the galleries, but I look forward to it. Life has suddenly become quite busy; I'm pleased about this (it's for all the right reasons for once!), but it's cut into my dgrin addiction and photo-obsessing time. I'll be back, I promise!
  • Options
    WhatSheSawWhatSheSaw Registered Users Posts: 2,221 Major grins
    edited January 25, 2010
    Missed you, Diva! I think it is a good thing to enjoy life without a camera once in a while (a long while). We'll save some photo ops for you. :D
  • Options
    Aspecto5Aspecto5 Registered Users Posts: 311 Major grins
    edited January 25, 2010
    My Fav's!!
    773723762_ypNpb-L.jpg
    Canon 7D Shooter

Nelson Lehner
    Dreamin' of a resolution!:D
  • Options
    MachineAgeMachineAge Registered Users Posts: 17 Big grins
    edited January 26, 2010
    ASkip wrote:
    I have a question though, for people who took pictures of people close up, do you ask their permission? Or just go all paparazzi on them? I just can't bring myself to stick a camera in a stranger's face.
    Thanks.
    Anna

I too find this difficult...probably most people do. This book is almost all about that and is a really good read:

Within The Frame: The Journey of Photographic Vision by David DuChemin

Search on Amazon...a bunch of people have reviewed it.
  • Options
    michswissmichswiss Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,235 Major grins
    edited January 26, 2010
    ASkip wrote:
    Thanks.
    Anna

Getting close isn't easy and it's something that requires conscious effort on my part. It feels like a magnetic repulsion when I broach other's personal space. I definitely don't go all paparazzi on people. I'll try to respectfully be a part of the setting or situation, just with a camera at the ready. A wallflower, an observer. If the subject actively objects or politely asks that I don't, I'll respect that and either sit with them for a while longer or just move on.
  • Options
    rainbowrainbow Registered Users Posts: 2,765 Major grins
    edited January 26, 2010
    ASkip wrote:
    Thanks.
    Anna

There are always great discussions in the Street and PJ forum. Unfortunately, they are usually embedded in random threads as people go off on tangents. Your question did come up more than once as this is the discomfort that most novices to the street scene encounter. To paraphrase the answer: "Do not ask permission or you are no longer taking a street photo but a posed shot."

Most of us are slowly building our courage through experience (hopefully not too many unpleasant ones...). That is part of what is difficult about this genre. If there is a mantra, it is: "Get closer!" But use good judgement, too.
  • Options
    VisualXpressionsVisualXpressions Registered Users Posts: 860 Major grins
    edited January 26, 2010
    All of the images submitted would pass for Photojournalism, like most of you I had a difficult time narrowing it down to just 10… with that said one of the things I did not use to judge the image was the title, although some were very good many didn’t do the image justice, I chalk this up to the fact that I don’t think any one here is a PJ. I would have loved to have seen a cut line instead of a caption… Anyway my criteria for picking my top 10 went like this… Content, does the image tell a story, did the photographer shoot “verbs” as well as nouns, and what is the emotional impact, if any. After that I looked at composition, focus, and BW conversion.
    My top 10 in no particular order…
    JWear - Wildlife = Life and Death = Death and Life
    AndMan - Should've paid attention to the flood warning
    KevXman - Eternal Vigilance
    Coldclimb - Keep the Blinds Closed, Please.
    DsrtVW - Wind Damage
    Tewmom - The "Scott" heard round the world!
    pyroPrints.com - NYC Street Performer
    Luke J. Photography - Line Drive
    cmurph - Remembering the Dream
    e mari ad terram - Cub scout Pack #735 Pine wood Derby 2010

I enjoyed being a guest Judge...
    Winston<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />
  • Options
    sunflowerstudiosunflowerstudio Registered Users Posts: 145 Major grins
    edited January 26, 2010
    I think that each of us have to come up with our own comfort level, too, what we're happy doing in order to get the shot. I agree with the idea that asking permission means that it's no longer posed. Asking means you've created an observer effect. So can situations where people start mugging for the camera they see.

But, my own personal limit, and it limits what pictures I can get, is that I need to be part of the experience I'm photographing. So, pictures on the playground, when I'm a mom, and my kids are there too, works for me. I can take pictures at a political rallies, when I'm part of the event. But *I* am uncomfortable when I'm there as an observer and not as a participant. This personal comfort level can make some photographs difficult.

Of course, I'm not saying this should be anyone else's standard, and it does mean that I'm not a journalist -- i.e. a person who is an observer (even paid to be one). But, I guess I'm saying that choosing to limit the range of photos you can take based on your comfort level should be OK. Each of us has different goals with our photography.
    rainbow wrote:
    There are always great discussions in the Street and PJ forum. Unfortunately, they are usually embedded in random threads as people go off on tangents. Your question did come up more than once as this is the discomfort that most novices to the street scene encounter. To paraphrase the answer: "Do not ask permission or you are no longer taking a street photo but a posed shot."

Most of us are slowly building our courage through experience (hopefully not too many unpleasant ones...). That is part of what is difficult about this genre. If there is a mantra, it is: "Get closer!" But use good judgement, too.
  • Options
    jwearjwear Registered Users Posts: 8,005 Major grins
    edited January 26, 2010
    Winston ,aspecto5 Thank you and for those that took time to comment on the hawk. I knew in this challenge that a bird would maybe have a tough time but was lucky with that shot ,to me tells a story and did make the theme .
    Jeff W

“PHOTOGRAPHY IS THE ‘JAZZ’ FOR THE EYES…”

http://jwear.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
    edited January 26, 2010
    jwear wrote:
    Winston ,aspecto5 Thank you and for those that took time to comment on the hawk. I knew in this challenge that a bird would maybe have a tough time but was lucky with that shot ,to me tells a story and did make the theme .

If Harry owned a magazine I know which entry would make the cover shot....rolleyes1.gif
    Aaron Nelson
  • Options
    VisualXpressionsVisualXpressions Registered Users Posts: 860 Major grins
    edited January 29, 2010
    critique of Daddy0 - Sign of the times - Main Street America
    Sign of the times - main Street America... The story is... the economy is slow, the Country is in recession, people are tightening their belts. Small business is hurting, many are closing their doors because know one is spending any money and people are out of work... Does this image tell this story? I really don't think so... It could simply be a photo of any-town America early in the morning before any activity is going on ne_nau.gif Sometimes you need more than one image to adequately tell the story... Sometimes this makes photojournalism very difficult... this image could be used in a series of images, a documentary or picture story about main street America... I'm afraid it just isn't strong enough to be a stand alone image. When you get right down to it, it's just a picture of an empty street.

On the Technical side of things, it isn't a very good B&W conversion there are no whites or blacks in this shot... there are only shades of gray which make it look muddy. I don't like the fact that most of what I see is empty road. In fact half of the image is pavement... With something like this I would want to see more buildings than pavement... to emphasize your story for example, a shot of several adjacent store fronts with for lease signs or business closed signs or going out of business would have worked better to help tell your story than this shot... Any way hope this helps, keep shooting... thumb.gif

Winston

767644148_Qpbop-L.jpg