Retry at a self portrait (This time, high key)

jdorseydesignjdorseydesign Registered Users Posts: 161 Major grins
edited January 25, 2010 in People
I did a self portrait a week back and it turned out a little ominous.

http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=155575

So I'm back in front of the camera trying out another setup. This time I decided it was easier for me to do high key, considering the room I'm using has a pink wall at the moment (LOL).

Strobist info..
40" umbrella to camera right
Bare flash with a gobo on it to block flare from the back camera left.
SB-600 behind me with a stofen on it to blow out the pink wall to white.

772230373_vGvvM-L.jpg

Better? Less serial killerish?

Did I do the high key thing correctly?
J Dorsey Design Photography • jdorseydesign.com • Facebook Fan/Friend • Twitter @bartdorsey

Comments

• adbsgicomadbsgicom Registered Users Posts: 3,615 Major grins
    edited January 25, 2010
    Much better look, and I like your lighting. I believe in high key, you'd want a lighter colored shirt. The pink is creeping in a bit, but not much.

Why is there a stoffen on the b/g light? Are you talking about the omnibouce, or a different attachment? I would have expected a flagged light there? I only ask because I don't know, not questioning your decision since it looks really good and there doesn't seem to be any flare off the wall.
    - Andrew

Who is wise? He who learns from everyone.
    My SmugMug Site
  • jdorseydesignjdorseydesign Registered Users Posts: 161 Major grins
    edited January 25, 2010
    adbsgicom wrote:
    Much better look, and I like your lighting. I believe in high key, you'd want a lighter colored shirt. The pink is creeping in a bit, but not much.

Why is there a stoffen on the b/g light? Are you talking about the omnibouce, or a different attachment? I would have expected a flagged light there? I only ask because I don't know, not questioning your decision since it looks really good and there doesn't seem to be any flare off the wall.

Heh, there's a stofen on the background light because David Hobby used one when lighting his background on the Strobist DVDs.
    J Dorsey Design Photography • jdorseydesign.com • Facebook Fan/Friend • Twitter @bartdorsey
    edited January 25, 2010
    David Hobby is a good reason..mwink.gif
    You are talking about the omnibounce, right? The little white boxy lid.
    - Andrew

My SmugMug Site
  • jdorseydesignjdorseydesign Registered Users Posts: 161 Major grins
    edited January 25, 2010
    adbsgicom wrote:
    David Hobby is a good reason..mwink.gif
    You are talking about the omnibounce, right? The little white boxy lid.

Yeah, sorry, one of those little guys. BTW, the SB-600 is pointing TOWARDS the wall and away from the camera with the stofen on it. Not 'up' as you might be thinking. I think this makes the light go off in all directions except back towards the camera.
    edited January 25, 2010
    Thanks, I'll play with that. I have an omnibounce, but didn't really think about using it (I flagged my flash, but I think I still had it too bright as I had a lot of forward reflection off the wall). The omnibounce emulates a bare bulb with light shooting out in all directions, so you will still have some back light, but given you likely didn't have to blast the wall too hard, the net effect is to provide some rim lighting that worked well.
    - Andrew

My SmugMug Site