Tiltshift Suburbia

PhotozzPhotozz Registered Users Posts: 80 Big grins
edited January 28, 2010 in Other Cool Shots
Taken from south mountain looking down into Awatukee AZ.

771822025_otTpE-XL.jpg

Comments

• rainbowrainbow Registered Users Posts: 2,765 Major grins
    edited January 25, 2010
    It looks so much like a diorama or model. That is probably because the DOF like you have achieved is seen in close-up shots.

I like it!
  • EiaEia Registered Users Posts: 3,627 Major grins
    edited January 25, 2010
    These always make me smile. This is an excellent example! I'm just waiting for the trolley to ride through from Mr. Rodger's Neighborhood...:D
  • DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
    edited January 25, 2010
    I just love tilt and shift photos thumb.gif The cars look like my kids matchbox cars.
  • rookieshooterrookieshooter Registered Users Posts: 539 Major grins
    edited January 26, 2010
    What settings do you use to do this?
  • GambrelGambrel Registered Users Posts: 37 Big grins
    edited January 26, 2010
    Eia wrote:
    These always make me smile. This is an excellent example! I'm just waiting for the trolley to ride through from Mr. Rodger's Neighborhood...:D

Haha! I was thinking the exact same thing!
    D90, D40, SB-600, SB-400, 50mm 1.8 and a couple of kit lenes.:thumb
  • Shoots2LittleShoots2Little Registered Users Posts: 27 Big grins
    edited January 26, 2010
    I really like this type of shot. There is just something about them that draws me in and makes me keep looking at them, studying them. Did you do it via a tilt-shift lens and PP or just through PS?

If you like tilt shift check out this thread on a RC website. Links to how-to's for PS and to an online tilt-shift generator too.
    http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=616600&highlight=tilt+shift

Great time waster! :)
    D40 18-55/3.5 35/1.8

My Smugmug
  • PhotozzPhotozz Registered Users Posts: 80 Big grins
    edited January 26, 2010
    My setting where just basic, F5.6, 1/640, ISO100, 400mm lens

Processing was done on this link http://tiltshiftmaker.com/
  • craig_dcraig_d Registered Users Posts: 911 Major grins
    edited January 26, 2010
    Did you do it via a tilt-shift lens and PP or just through PS?

It's pretty obviously just a shot taken with a super-telephoto lens (is there such a thing as a super-telephoto tilt/shift lens for DSLRs?), with perspective correction and rather fake-looking blur added in PP. If you look closely, the blur is totally unconvincing. In the foreground, a bit left of center, there's a street lamp with a car right behind it. The top of the street lamp is closer to the camera than the car, but the street lamp is in focus and the car is blurred. Worse, there's a tree in the lower right that is mostly blurred except for the top. The photo itself is okay but the blurring is pretty carelessly done.
    http://craigd.smugmug.com

Got bored with digital and went back to film.
  • lizzard_nyclizzard_nyc Registered Users Posts: 4,056 Major grins
    edited January 26, 2010
    craig_d wrote:
    It's pretty obviously just a shot taken with a super-telephoto lens (is there such a thing as a super-telephoto tilt/shift lens for DSLRs?), with perspective correction and rather fake-looking blur added in PP. If you look closely, the blur is totally unconvincing. In the foreground, a bit left of center, there's a street lamp with a car right behind it. The top of the street lamp is closer to the camera than the car, but the street lamp is in focus and the car is blurred. Worse, there's a tree in the lower right that is mostly blurred except for the top. The photo itself is okay but the blurring is pretty carelessly done.

Thanks for sharing how you accomplished your tiltshift image.
    I tried it on one of my images and I like how it turned out--I like yours better though.

I didn't think it was possible to accomplish this with a regular DSLR and lens--I thought you had to buy special equipment etc. Grant it, it's not perfect--but like I said, I still really like how it turned out (beats spending money to accomplish nearly the same thing, to my eye anwway). Thank you.
    Liz A.
    _________
  • RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,955 moderator
    edited January 26, 2010
    craig_d wrote:
    It's pretty obviously just a shot taken with a super-telephoto lens (is there such a thing as a super-telephoto tilt/shift lens for DSLRs?), with perspective correction and rather fake-looking blur added in PP. .

So? The miniature effect still works for me. I think these are just supposed to be fun. ne_nau.gif
    edited January 26, 2010
    Richard wrote:
    So? The miniature effect still works for me. I think these are just supposed to be fun. ne_nau.gif

Exactly my thought.
    edited January 26, 2010
    craig_d wrote:

Hmm pic was taken and posted for fun not a contest or anything.... little to serious for me but hey what do I know right headscratch.gif
  • DaddyODaddyO Registered Users Posts: 4,466 Major grins
    edited January 28, 2010
    Eia wrote:

:D15524779-Ti.gif and with the very nice example point.
    Michael
  • Dancer72Dancer72 Registered Users Posts: 90 Big grins
    edited January 28, 2010
    Eia wrote:

OMG - that was my 1st thought as well! Reminded me of the times he set up all the miniatures on the kitchen table and imagined the trolley heading off into the "land of make believe". What a fun shot!

Thanks for sharing the picture as well as your pp technique!
    Caroline
    Caroline Brogen

Member: PPA, PPAM
    Gallery: http://photos.brogen.com/Public-Gallery/Carolines-Gallery