Broken LCD cover on Canon 450D (xsi)

StoryTellerStoryTeller Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
edited March 24, 2010 in Cameras
My DH cracked the LCD cover on my Canon 450D..the part to replace is only $20 vs the min $250 to send to Canon...anyone have experience/knowledge on how to replace this piece? Only the thick plastic piece is cracked - LCD under is not damaged at all.

Thanks for any help!

Comments

• rainbowrainbow Registered Users Posts: 2,765 Major grins
    edited January 26, 2010
    Welcome to DGrin!

I have read (long ago) that it is an easy replacement to do yourself. Having said that, I do not have details. If no one steps forward with the info (or even if they do), I would contact Canon customer service directly with this question. Or call one of their service centers.

Good luck with the repair. If you find useful info, please post a followup to share the info with us.
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,079 moderator
    edited January 26, 2010
    I believe that the cover is held in place with a double-sided tape. Look at the new cover and parts when you get it.

If it is just tape, use an implement to get under the old cover and gradually lift it away from the camera body. (Try not to mark the body when you pry the old screen away.)
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • JonnyyayaJonnyyaya Registered Users Posts: 181 Major grins
    edited January 26, 2010
    I have ordered parts from this place they have been very helpful. I also replaced a screen on a camera they told me there are two mine was just the outside one . Some double sided tape and done ..

Here is there link:
    http://www.darntoothysam.com/
  • StoryTellerStoryTeller Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
    edited January 26, 2010
    Thanks!
    Thanks for the advice to all! I'll be ordering the part and I'll follow up with how easy (or not) it was. :o)
  • 20DNoob20DNoob Registered Users Posts: 318 Major grins
    edited January 28, 2010
    I've never used these guys but they sell parts at a pretty cheap price.

http://www.uscamera.com/xsi.htm

I read elsewhere of someone replacing their lcd cover by warming it with a hair drier on the low setting for a bit and using a jewelers screwdriver to pry it up. Sorry, I don't recall what they used to remove the old tape with though.

Good luck.
    Christian.

5D2/1D MkII N/40D and a couple bits of glass.
  • jgoetz4jgoetz4 Registered Users Posts: 1,267 Major grins
    edited January 30, 2010
    My DH cracked the LCD cover on my Canon 450D..the part to replace is only $20 vs the min $250 to send to Canon...anyone have experience/knowledge on how to replace this piece? Only the thick plastic piece is cracked - LCD under is not damaged at all.

Thanks for any help!
    Good Evening Story Teller,
    I replaced one on my old Xti. The Canon part was about $15. Basically, I used a suction cup and hair dryer to pull up the old lcd cover. Then, very carefully, I peeled the new piece apart from the paper backing. Be careful because the 2 sided tape can be a pain to work with. Don't get it stuck together or you'll have problems :cry Good luck thumb.gif
    Have a good evening :D
    Jim...
  • StoryTellerStoryTeller Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
    edited March 24, 2010
    Xsi LCD Screen Repair Complete
    The repair job was fairly simple - thanks for all the suggestions. In case anyone needs to do this again:

I used a hair dryer to warm the adhesive up so it'd be easier to get the broken piece off. I wasn't able to use a suction cup (the crack wouldn't allow it to seal properly), so I used needle tweezers to carefully pry a part of the broken piece up. Getting the old adhesive off was a bit of a pain. From there, just carefully work with the new adhesive to put in place and install the new LCD cover. Parts: $20 (inc S&H) Time: 30min
    Photobucket
  • Brett1000Brett1000 Registered Users Posts: 819 Major grins
    edited March 24, 2010
    I hope my LCD screen never breaks but thanks for the info !
  • mr peasmr peas Registered Users Posts: 1,369 Major grins
    edited March 24, 2010
    Good to know!