Possible to make a USB printer Wireless ??

net1994net1994 Registered Users Posts: 269 Major grins
edited January 26, 2010 in Digital Darkroom
Hi Guys. Getting the rather large Epson 1900 printer. This printer only has USB input, but I cannot directly attach it to my PC as it will go in another room. Anyone know of an practical, cheap way to turn this printer into a wireless printer? Some soft of Wireless>USB port adapter or something. I have a Verizon DSL router (ActionTech GT704-WG)that is about 3 years old.

Anyone try this??
Candy For Your Eyes @ Paint By Pixels

http://www.paintbypixels.com

Comments

• run_kmcrun_kmc Registered Users Posts: 263 Major grins
    edited January 26, 2010
    You could find an old Apple Airport base station to do this.

I haven't priced them used, but I think a brand new airport express runs around $70-80. Surely you could get an older one or a old dome style airport base for much less on ebay.
  • colourboxcolourbox Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited January 26, 2010
    The Airport Extreme base station (wireless router) can do this because it has a USB port to make any USB printer wireless, as long as there's no hangup with the drivers doing it that way. I think there are many generic PC routers and print servers that can do the same thing, let you plug in a USB printer and share over the network.
  • RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,954 moderator
    edited January 26, 2010
    Just Google Wireless USB Print Server and you will find dozens of products well under $100. If you have the space, you can also recycle an old laptop to be the server.