New Laptop Question.

Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
edited February 20, 2010 in Digital Darkroom
How do I get the new disk drive to read a mini CD??....it has drivers I need to install.

Or is it a last cause trying to get the trayless disk players to suck that little CD in to be read???

TIA!!!!!!!!!:bow:bow:bow:bow:bow:bow:bow:bow:bow:bow:bow:bow:thumb:thumb:thumb:thumb
"Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

Comments

• colourboxcolourbox Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited January 26, 2010
    If it is a slot-loading drive (no tray), DO NOT :uhoh put the mini CD in. Chances are it will not load, fall into the mechanism at an irretrievable angle, and never come out again until you disassemble the machine to open up the drive.

I would go to the web site and download the drivers, probably more recent anyway
  • Jane B.Jane B. Registered Users Posts: 373 Major grins
    edited January 26, 2010
    Art Scott wrote:
    How do I get the new disk drive to read a mini CD??....it has drivers I need to install.

Or is it a last cause trying to get the trayless disk players to suck that little CD in to be read???

TIA!!!!!!!!!bowdown.gifbowbowdown.gifbowbowdown.gifbowbowdown.gifbowbowdown.gifbowbowdown.gifbowthumb.gifthumbthumb.gifthumb

Do you have excess to a computer with tray loading? My thought is to copy the mini disk to a full size disk and use the full size disk to load the drivers to the laptop from.
    Jane B.
  • Jeremy WinterbergJeremy Winterberg Registered Users Posts: 1,233 Major grins
    edited January 26, 2010
    Yeah, do not shove a mini cd into the slot. I've gotten regular sized cd's stuck in my macbook pro, its not fun. (the cd had PC software that automatically tries to install, and so it wouldn't allow me to eject - they were images that I scanned at work from a couple rolls of 35mm film I shot.)

I agree with going online to find the drivers. If you want, I could help you find the ones you need. Just let me know what device you need them for (Brand, Model Number, etc...).

Mini CD's are outdated... They were a good idea, but unfortunately never amounted to much. ne_nau.gif
    Jer
  • Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited January 26, 2010
    15524779-Ti.gif - Even with a new machine (I got a new one just before Christmas, 2009), I always go to the manufacturer websites for drivers - never do I rely on the CDs that come with the equipment. The exception to this is the NIC drivers for a new MBO. In that case, I use the ones on the CD. Once I have internet connection, I download replacement drivers.

On a side note and only slightly off topic ... be careful of the driver updates available through Windows Update. A couple of weeks ago, I was a little sloppy and accidentially downloaded and installed a driver for the NIC on my Win7 laptop. As soon as it installed, all communication with the outside world came to a sudden and jarring halt. After futzing with it for more than a couple of hours - just to see if I could fix it the "normal" way - I had to resort to a recent full system backup. Recovery was 15 minutes. Didn't loose anything (it was very recent :D). So I just re-inforced a lesson I had learned some years ago.
  • Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited January 26, 2010
    Thanks all for the advice. Will go and retrieve drivers off MFG'ers website.

THANKS AGAIN!!!thumb.gifthumbthumb.gifbowdown.gifbowbowdown.gifbowbowdown.gif
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Jeremy WinterbergJeremy Winterberg Registered Users Posts: 1,233 Major grins
    edited January 26, 2010
    Art Scott wrote:
    Thanks all for the advice. Will go and retrieve drivers off MFG'ers website.

THANKS AGAIN!!!thumb.gifthumbthumb.gifbowdown.gifbowbowdown.gifbowbowdown.gif
    You're welcome Art!
    Jer
  • TangoJulietTangoJuliet Registered Users Posts: 269 Major grins
    edited February 20, 2010
    Rather than start a new thread by the same title, I thought I might ask my question here. I'm looking to buy a new laptop (Windows) and currently run PSE7 on my desktop (Windows). I'm not terribly computer literate so I'm wondering, can I somehow download PSE7 from my desktop to my laptop as a copy rather than buying another PSE7 download from Adobe? Does that make sense?
  • Ric GrupeRic Grupe Registered Users Posts: 9,522 Major grins
    edited February 20, 2010
    Rather than start a new thread by the same title, I thought I might ask my question here. I'm looking to buy a new laptop (Windows) and currently run PSE7 on my desktop (Windows). I'm not terribly computer literate so I'm wondering, can I somehow download PSE7 from my desktop to my laptop as a copy rather than buying another PSE7 download from Adobe? Does that make sense?

You might be better off starting a new thread.

If elements came preinstalled on your PC, you are probably out of luck. Check the discs that came with your desktop and see if there is one for installing Elements... if so, use it for your laptop.
  • TangoJulietTangoJuliet Registered Users Posts: 269 Major grins
    edited February 20, 2010
    Ric Grupe wrote:
    If elements came preinstalled on your PC, you are probably out of luck. Check the discs that came with your desktop and see if there is one for installing Elements... if so, use it for your laptop.

Nope, no install disc, I bought it as a digital download from the Adobe website.
  • Ric GrupeRic Grupe Registered Users Posts: 9,522 Major grins
    edited February 20, 2010
    Nope, no install disc, I bought it as a digital download from the Adobe website.

Hopefully you saved the download? Not sure if you can download it again...check to see.