Duplicating a photo

fredjclausfredjclaus Registered Users Posts: 759 Major grins
edited February 1, 2010 in Technique
My family has an old 18x24 image of my grandmother who passed away. My father originally took the photograph but he's passed on as well, and we can't seem to find this particular negative. I was thinking about trying to duplicate the photograph by taking a picture of it. The only trouble is that the photograph is behind glass. Has anyone had any success in photographing a photograph that's still in a frame with glass?
Fred J Claus
Commercial Photographer
http://www.FredJClaus.com
http://www.Fredjclaus.com/originals

Save on your own SmugMug account. Just enter Coupon code i2J0HIOcEElwI at checkout

Comments

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,067 moderator
    edited January 26, 2010
    You are always better to remove a print from the frame in order to attempt to re-photograph the print. I would not attempt to photograph anything behind picture frame glass and in the frame. (In a copy camera frame is a different issue.)

Do you suspect that the print or frame would be damaged by the process of removal?
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • WorldcrossingsWorldcrossings Registered Users Posts: 45 Big grins
    edited January 31, 2010
    I would remove it then scan it in a good photo scanner ...
    Sincerely,

Tommy Thomas
    www.Worldcrossings.com

"I have seen a lot of cool things through my lenses, but not nearly as awesome as seeing my little baby girl through it!"
    Note: Feel free to post your photos, in your replys, to any of my threads if you feel like it pertains to something I have posted.
  • cbbrcbbr Registered Users Posts: 755 Major grins
    edited January 31, 2010
    I would remove it then scan it in a good photo scanner ...

Yep. Or take ot to a professional shop and have them scan it - its too large for my scanner. But either way you will probably need to take it out of the frame.
    Chad - www.brberrys.com
    If I post it, please tell me how to make it better. My fragile ego can take it.
  • FlyNavyFlyNavy Registered Users Posts: 1,350 Major grins
    edited February 1, 2010
    My local Kinkos has a very large scanner it is very in-expensive to have photos scanned. I also bring along my mini-flash drive.