Options

DSS43....early start, feedback requested

ic4uic4u Registered Users Posts: 1,455 Major grins
edited January 28, 2010 in The Dgrin Challenges
Added a second pic...
I don't have a title in mind yet, just wanted to get a feel for what others thought of this as a possible contender...Thanks for looking, all C&C is much appreciated!

774126313_CnCgb-L.jpg

775383896_oQBKX-L.jpg
Karin

"Dance like no one is watching. Sing like no one is listening. Love like you've never been hurt and live like it's heaven on Earth." — Mark Twain

Comments

• Options
    Aspecto5Aspecto5 Registered Users Posts: 311 Major grins
    edited January 26, 2010
    I think its possible that there's going to be a few entries of beaten down doors in this round. So my opinion would be to get some more detail out of it. Specially the peeling paint somehow. The angle is also very centered. I'm not sure what the rest of the building looks like, but maybe adding a little more to the left or right might help. That door has been waiting a long time for you and your camera to finally come along. :D
    Canon 7D Shooter

Nelson Lehner
    Dreamin' of a resolution!:D
  • Options
    lizzard_nyclizzard_nyc Registered Users Posts: 4,056 Major grins
    edited January 26, 2010
    Where was this shot for the Creepy/Crawly challenge?rolleyes1.gif .

Definate potential, just need to work it a bit like Aspecto5 said.
    Liz A.
    _________
  • Options
    edited January 26, 2010
    Aspecto5 wrote:
    I think its possible that there's going to be a few entries of beaten down doors in this round. So my opinion would be to get some more detail out of it. Specially the peeling paint somehow. The angle is also very centered. I'm not sure what the rest of the building looks like, but maybe adding a little more to the left or right might help. That door has been waiting a long time for you and your camera to finally come along. :D

Thanks for the quick response Nelson! Yes this door has been waiting for me for some time now....so when the topic was posted, this immediately came to mind. I can certainly go back and reshoot. I've been having some technical difficulties with me camera lately, which is not making me happy(for a pleasant way to say it:D ) So hopefully I can get back there and try and get some more detail out of it. Thanks again!

Thanks Liz for your feedback too. Boy, I never even thought of this for the creepy/crawly!!
    Karin

"Dance like no one is watching. Sing like no one is listening. Love like you've never been hurt and live like it's heaven on Earth." — Mark Twain
  • Options
    MrsCueMrsCue Registered Users Posts: 412 Major grins
    edited January 26, 2010
    Ooh I LOVE this door! I can't wait to see the other images you shoot using it as your subject.
    Canon EOS 40D, Canon EOS 350D, 50mm 1.8 MKII prime lens, 17-40mm f/4 L lens, 70-200mm f/2.8 L IS lens, 430 EX speedlite, Tungsten Continuous studio light, Pocket Wizards, Gary Fong Lightsphere, Stofen Omni bounce diffuser, 5in1 reflector

• Options
    nightpixelsnightpixels Registered Users Posts: 536 Major grins
    edited January 26, 2010
    Hi Karin,

The picture seems to be out of focus and of poor quality. What is the shutter speed on this? How about the ISO? Did you shoot it hand-held? Was the lens auto-focus off? Was it cropped from a much larger image?
    Allen Parseghian

Los Angeles dance photographer

• Options
    dlscott56dlscott56 Registered Users Posts: 1,324 Major grins
    edited January 27, 2010
    Definitely an interesting subject Karin. I think you can do better though. How about some different light, or trying lots of different compositions. Give yourself lots to choose from.
  • Options
    edited January 28, 2010
    Thanks Allen and Dave,

I 've gone back a couple more times to try different compositions. I have added a pic to the first post...is this any better?
    Karin

• Options
    Aspecto5Aspecto5 Registered Users Posts: 311 Major grins
    edited January 28, 2010
    ic4u wrote:
    Thanks Allen and Dave,

I 've gone back a couple more times to try different compositions. I have added a pic to the first post...is this any better?

So I suppose the edge of the building is on the left of the door. That white box thing isn't helping keep the focus of this being a door theme. The detail is definitely better.

I've takin a moment to drift off into lala land. That's what I do when I'm trying to wow up an image of my own. What came to mind is a salesman with a nice suit on and a briefcase in one hand. The other hand knocking on that poor door. That's all I've got. :D
    Canon 7D Shooter

Nelson Lehner
    Dreamin' of a resolution!:D
  • Options
    edited January 28, 2010
    Aspecto5 wrote:
    So I suppose the edge of the building is on the left of the door. That white box thing isn't helping keep the focus of this being a door theme. The detail is definitely better.

I've takin a moment to drift off into lala land. That's what I do when I'm trying to wow up an image of my own. What came to mind is a salesman with a nice suit on and a briefcase in one hand. The other hand knocking on that poor door. That's all I've got. :D

Aargghh!! Appreciate your honesty....probably need to come up with a "Plan B" Not many options on this particular door for different comps. I did try to clone out the white box thing, and although, it would look good to my "non-photographer friends, it'd probably get laughed off here! Good thing I started early this time:D
    Karin