Options

Bridal Fair....

heatherfeatherheatherfeather Registered Users Posts: 2,738 Major grins
edited February 16, 2010 in Weddings
Sunday was the bridal fair, and it went really well. Here is my setup before the event opened. We got rid of the brown chair to make it nice and open. Even so, there was barely walking room most of the day.

773820621_oCeUd-M.jpg

I was very happy when they closed the window shades across the asile from us... it was leaving some nasty uneven light on my prints. That didn't make me too happy. But once they closed it, it was better than this.

I bought a curtain rod and a set of red velvet panels that worked fantastic to cover up the nasty background... Behind the couches, are the stands that my hubby and I made with 1 x 6 s that we cut a 1/4 inch slit in. We made brackets out of floor transition, carrage bolts and spacers out of 2x4s. Then I spraypainted the whole set up, lined the brackets with black felt and it looked really slick and worked even better. The light behind the couch was a construction lamp. It gave the stands and the photos some zing and a bit of a 3D look that this photo doesn't show very well.

I had my new Miller's albums mixed in with some older ones, but it made for lots to hand around. The visitors just love any flushmount albums, so they pretty much went from hand to hand.
773822917_N7y2F-M.jpg

I did a drawing for a sitting fee for an engagement session... which worked fabulously to show them the engagement album that I made a couple weeks ago. They all got really excited about the possibility of that... which drew them in to look at the wedding photos.

The drawing wasn't as effective as it has been in the past because my sign announcing the drawing was ruined that morning when I flipped my Expedition on the way to the fair. Amazingly, both my car and I emerged pretty much unscathed, though all my stuff was covered with muddy snow. Only a few pieces of my set up were ruined, and I have some pretty good bruises and sore muscles, but I am fine... and oh so thankfull for that. I switched rigs... cleaned up the mud and threw out broken / ruined things dried my clothes and pressed on. We were set up and presentable by opening time, which was a miracle. Almost as much of a miracle as my accident ending up with as little damage as there was. I flipped at least once and ended up with my tires on the frontage road...

I brought a lot of the discs like the ones the couples get with their image files. Everyone was pretty excited about that possibility.... And you can see the sign up for a consultation. That was pretty effective and I'll be meeting with lots of couples this week.

773821655_85rgk-M.jpg

Anyway... all went well. I booked one wedding on site.. and made many more contacts. I loved it when people dragged family members to my booth, cause "you gotta see what she is doing". And many said that it was the best photographer's booth at the fair. I don't know about that since I didn't have time to walk around and compare, but it did look pretty sharp.

The best part, though, was that I was invited to join a professional portrait photographer's association. They get together regularly and talk shop. How cool is that? It will be awesome to meet with other photographer's face to face... not that you guys aren't good enough... but you know it will be sweet to actually meet people that do the same as I do... and work the same area... :D

Anyway... now you know what I am up to. :D

Comments

• Options
    mmmattmmmatt Registered Users Posts: 1,347 Major grins
    edited January 26, 2010
    Wow you flipped your truck. 2x wow your booth is amazing! I bet you will be able to buy a new truck this week with the extra income you get off that both girl. GORGEOUS! Glad to hear you are OK too. Gotta be a toughguy to live in Alaska I guess huh?

Great job Heather!

Matt
    My Smugmug site

Bodies: Canon 5d mkII, 5d, 40d
    Lenses: 24-70 f2.8L, 70-200 f4.0L, 135 f2L, 85 f1.8, 50 1.8, 100 f2.8 macro, Tamron 28-105 f2.8
    Flash: 2x 580 exII, Canon ST-E2, 2x Pocket Wizard flexTT5, and some lower end studio strobes
  • Options
    pwppwp Registered Users Posts: 230 Major grins
    edited January 26, 2010
    clap.gif So well done!!
    ~Ang~
    My Site
    Proud Photog for The Littlest Heroes Project and Operation: LoveReunited
    Lovin' my Canon 5D Mark II!
  • Options
    ElaineElaine Registered Users Posts: 3,532 Major grins
    edited January 26, 2010
    It looks amazing, Heather, and I'm SO glad you're OK after your accident. I can't believe you were able to just pick up, dust yourself off and still make it on time! Wow. Congrats on a lovely booth and all your positive feedback!
    Elaine

Comments and constructive critique always welcome!

Elaine Heasley Photography
  • Options
    AgnieszkaAgnieszka Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,263 Major grins
    edited January 26, 2010
    Oh girl, you rock bowdown.gif

Looks sooo cozy, I would have curled up on the couch and looked at all the books ... Very pretty setup clap.gif
  • Options
    lilmommalilmomma Registered Users Posts: 1,060 Major grins
    edited January 26, 2010
    Glad you're ok after the accident! Us amateurs need you around here iloveyou.gif

the booth looks incredible!
  • Options
    edited January 26, 2010
    Thanks everyone! The bridal fair was wonderful!

To Mmmatt... We Ak folks are hearty, but I just was barely injured. Quite shaken up, but I was too lucky for words. According to the tracks in the snow.... I was airborn for over 30 feet and then hit and rolled.

And this is all the damage to the truck:

On this side, the front door is a little screwed up, and there is a dent over the front tire...
    773796773_hqQsC-M.jpg

And this side has the running board that we had to cut off to drive it home. It was a mangled piece of junk. We put the mirrors back on with sheet-rock screws. They don't adjust on their own anymore, but are legal.
    773798008_T6eCu-M.jpg

We had to jack up the roof about 4 inches or so... but none of the glass was broken. eek7.gif Somehow lots of snow, mud and grass came in all the cracks of the doors and windows without any of them opening or breaking.
    773798788_N2iKR-M.jpg

I am truly lucky to be alive. And so thankful. I sure have enjoyed my family even more than usual since it happened... Go hug your kids an extra time for me. You never know what is gonna happen in your life, so as trite as it sounds: make the most of your moments.
  • Options
    VayCayMomVayCayMom Registered Users Posts: 1,870 Major grins
    edited January 27, 2010
    Oh my gosh! I am so glad to hear you were not seriously hurt !! The show must go on is not just about Broadway.

After a traumatic event like this it is not unusual to have a delayed reaction, maybe some anxiety, trouble sleeping, shakiness etc, and it may come and go. And since you had to jump right back to what you were doing your brain/body has not yet had enough time to process it.

I have shared this with a young gal I know that just missed the train or subway bombing a few years ago in London. And my daughter was in a bad rollover a few years ago, they both had the same delayed symptoms of anxiety etc.
    It's not a big deal but be aware it might happen so it doesn't alarm you. take care.
    Trudy
    www.CottageInk.smugmug.com

NIKON D700
  • Options
    FlyNavyFlyNavy Registered Users Posts: 1,350 Major grins
    edited January 28, 2010
    Heather,
    I think we should all email Mike Rowe and demand that he create a new reality show featuring you as "Outback Wedding Photographer"!

Any other ideas for a catchy name for the series?

I love your photos!!!!
  • Options
    dawssvtdawssvt Registered Users Posts: 413 Major grins
    edited February 16, 2010
    Very nice set-up! I love the idea of having the discs out. I'm glad you weren't hurt in the wreck also! clap.gif

Website
    My Smugmug

My Canon Gear:
    5DMII | 24-105mm f/4L | 45mm TS/E | 135mm f/2.0L | 70-200mm f/2.8L IS | 50mm f/1.4
    | 580EX II & 430EX

• Options
    QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited February 16, 2010
    uhhh..that's awesome that you were safe.:D I don't know how the heck you troopered on though. I would have gone home! eek7.gif
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • Options
    zoomerzoomer Registered Users Posts: 3,688 Major grins
    edited February 16, 2010
    You are my ideal.
    You always have a good story to tell us.
    Great job with the booth, glad to hear it was all worth it.

Glad you weren't in one of those tiny compacts that get great mileage but don't do so well in rollover accidents....
  • Options
    edited February 16, 2010
    Thanks to all!
    I am still reaping the benefits of a great bridal fair...

As far as the wreck, I am still just happy to be here. And to Mmatt... partial courtesy of my many bookings, I got a new rig. And guess what?!? It is not a teensy little echo friendly compact... We got a newer / nicer Expedition since the safety factor on this make has been personally tested and approved. Besides, I work from home, and only drive occasionally.

We are gonna hang onto the old one in preperation for our son to turn 14 in 2 years and get his permit:marlin ......... eek7.gif :hide

And Zoomer...

we all lived happily ever after. rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    Ed911Ed911 Registered Users Posts: 1,306 Major grins
    edited February 16, 2010
    zoomer wrote:
    You are my ideal.
    You always have a good story to tell us.
    Great job with the booth, glad to hear it was all worth it.

Glad you weren't in one of those tiny compacts that get great mileage but don't do so well in rollover accidents....

thumb.gif Ditto the above. And a special thanks to you for putting your work on the forum for us to see.
    Remember, no one may want you to take pictures, but they all want to see them.
    Educate yourself like you'll live forever and live like you'll die tomorrow.

Ed
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,912 moderator
    edited February 16, 2010
    Looks like you had a great setup and the books and prints really look nice too! And then you casually mention the bit about flipping the car lol3.gif

Glad you're OK thumb.gif
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?