I need reccomendations for a photography book

QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
edited January 29, 2010 in Technique
I have read:

understanding exposure
light,science, magic
hot shoe diaries
neils on camera flash book

not really looking for any particular subject matter...something to do with technique I suppose. Any general reccomendations? Any "classics"?
D700, D600
14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
85 and 50 1.4
45 PC and sb910 x2
http://www.danielkimphotography.com

Comments

• ShayebrydShayebryd Registered Users Posts: 165 Major grins
    edited January 26, 2010
    I am currently reading Within the Frame: The Journey of Photographic Vision by David duChemin and finding it very interesting! :)
    "My favorite thing is to go where I've never been!"
  • adbsgicomadbsgicom Registered Users Posts: 3,615 Major grins
    edited January 26, 2010
    If you liked the HotShoe Diaries, "the Moment it Clicks" is another good one.
    - Andrew

Who is wise? He who learns from everyone.
    My SmugMug Site
  • run_kmcrun_kmc Registered Users Posts: 263 Major grins
    edited January 27, 2010
    I like everything by Kirk Tuck. I haven't read "Hotshoe Diaries," so I don't know how much overlap there would be, but I found "Minimalist Lighting" by him to be excellent.
  • Zeus1Zeus1 Registered Users Posts: 70 Big grins
    edited January 27, 2010
    Bryan Peterson's "Understanding Photography Field Guide". ISBN 978-0-8174-3225-6. Published by Amphoto Books.

This is the same material as published in all his other books, but now in one volume, and brought up to date.
  • D'BuggsD'Buggs Registered Users Posts: 958 Major grins
    edited January 27, 2010
    Some that I thought were of good is;

Skin - Lee Varis
    Digi Portrait Photography - Steve Sint
    Lighting and the Dramatic Portrait - Michael Grecco
    Face to Face - Rick Sammon

Them are just some - Looking to see other options for me too! The one I bought today isn't all that great. rolleyes1.gif
  • pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,703 moderator
    edited January 28, 2010
    Here are a few books about photography I have found useful - not about how to choose an exposure, or what lens to buy, but how to visualize and execute conceptions.

"The Photograph - Composition and Color Design" by Harald Mante published by Rocky Nook - An excellent discussion of color and composition, designed to help one "See Better" rather than play with camera parts.

"Color and Light in Nature" by David K Lynch and William Livingstone - a discussion of light and color in the natural world

"The World's Top Photographer's and the Stories Behind their Greatest Images" by Terry Hope, published by Rotovision. It includes images and comments by David and Marc Muench.

"The Creative Digital Darkroom" by Katrin Eismannn and Sean Duggan - published by O'Reilly

Dan Margulis "Professional Photoshop" and "Photoshop LAB Color"

"Take Your Photography to the Next Level" by George Barr, published by Rocky Nook

These should keep you busy this winter.thumb.gif
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited January 28, 2010
    The Negative - Ansel Adams ... it's an oldie but a goodie. It's amazing how much from the "film days" translates so well into the digital world. Lot's of information in a compact form.
  • D'BuggsD'Buggs Registered Users Posts: 958 Major grins
    edited January 29, 2010
    pathfinder wrote:
    Here are a few books about photography I have found useful - not about how to choose an exposure, or what lens to buy, but how to visualize and execute conceptions.

"The Photograph - Composition and Color Design" by Harald Mante published by Rocky Nook - An excellent discussion of color and composition, designed to help one "See Better" rather than play with camera parts.

Got it and would 2nd your opinion.