Mac or Windows?

btj288btj288 Registered Users Posts: 8 Beginner grinner
edited January 27, 2010 in Digital Darkroom
I was curious what everyone's opinion was on using a Mac or Windows for photo-editing...

Comments

• craig_dcraig_d Registered Users Posts: 911 Major grins
    edited January 27, 2010
    btj288 wrote:
    I was curious what everyone's opinion was on using a Mac or Windows for photo-editing...

Windows, Mac, and Linux can all be used quite successfully. It really comes down to a stylistic preference and a question of how much you want to spend and what else you want to do on your computer. Even monitor calibration can be done equally well on any of these platforms.

Windows and Mac fans in years past wasted a lot of time and made themselves look really stupid by sneering at each other's computers and software. The simple fact is that until MacOS X and Windows XP, both systems were crap; the old Biblical verse about it being easier to see the mote in your neighbor's eye than the beam in your own is quite applicable here. Today Mac and Windows are both reliable enough.

Personally I prefer Linux, mostly because I like free software and I'm capable enough with computers that I am comfortable with an environment that doesn't expect me to be clueless about technology.
    http://craigd.smugmug.com

Got bored with digital and went back to film.
  • OzzwaldOzzwald Registered Users Posts: 110 Major grins
    edited January 27, 2010
    I think the photo editing experience is more dependent on the hardware.

the only thing you should consider when looking to an OS is the interface...i do prefer macs interface, but i would like more ram to speed up my photo editing
  • run_kmcrun_kmc Registered Users Posts: 263 Major grins
    edited January 27, 2010
    A large percentage of photographers use Adobe software to edit their images. If you plan on using Lightroom or Photoshop, it really doesn't matter if you use Mac OS or Windows.

I'd still be using Linux if it weren't for some programs (not photography related) that were just too unstable with Linux.
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,078 moderator
    edited January 27, 2010
    I moved this to the Digital Darkroom Gear forum, where we discuss computers and operating systems, etc..
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums