Options

A wiff of summer to warm you (10 images)

BlurmoreBlurmore Registered Users Posts: 992 Major grins
edited January 29, 2010 in Weddings
So I'm really bad about posting my sub-contract jobs to my blog. Frankly I don't really need the portfolio images, and I'm not getting paid to look at them or edit them...so it gets put off until I get bored...really bored (and cold). Here is a late summer zephyr to warm your frozen bones. The venue is the Antrim 1844, a place so awesome I could shoot there every weekend (if I lived closer).

774595067_XVEQf-L.jpg

774595095_bAQKb-L.jpg

774594964_dyDzT-L.jpg
774595197_AR8EQ-L.jpg
774595383_CbHC7-L.jpg
774595447_qB3HX-L.jpg
774595549_TLBoG-L.jpg
774595624_vti39-L.jpg
774595711_PExVR-L.jpg
774595836_fPGH9-L.jpg

C & C/questions always welcome.

Comments

• Options
    FoquesFoques Registered Users Posts: 1,951 Major grins
    edited January 27, 2010
    I like #4.. but thats about it.
    Arseny - the too honest guy.
    My Site
    My Facebook
  • Options
    Aspecto5Aspecto5 Registered Users Posts: 311 Major grins
    edited January 27, 2010
    #3, #4, #7, & #9. I love when certian things are really out of focus in an image. Shows your level of creativity. Thanks for sharing.
    Canon 7D Shooter

Nelson Lehner
    Dreamin' of a resolution!:D
  • Options
    Darren Troy CDarren Troy C Registered Users Posts: 1,927 Major grins
    edited January 27, 2010
  • Options
    Darren Troy CDarren Troy C Registered Users Posts: 1,927 Major grins
    edited January 27, 2010
    Foques wrote:
    I like #4.. but thats about it.

Well, you managed to comment on one of two that purposely puts the couple OOF. How about some CC on the rest? headscratch.gif
  • Options
    edited January 27, 2010
    oh yeah, because you did just that.. no?
    headscratch.gif

I do not like the rest of them. Do I need to be clearer? The logic and geometrical balance in the shots is non existent, and to me it is one of the important factors in this kind of shooting.
    My Site
    My Facebook
  • Options
    AgnieszkaAgnieszka Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,263 Major grins
    edited January 27, 2010
    Nice series. I REALLY love #1 actually, VERY pretty light! iloveyou.gif

#2: Nice photo, I guess it's too late, but next time watch the necklace & "chopped" off hand
    #3: Very pretty, I'd brighten it up a bit more, but that's just me ...
    #4: Very pretty also, I'd crop the left side a bit more (again, just my opinion)
    #5: Nice shot
    #6: Cute, ... watch out, there is something growing out of the groom's head ...
    #7: Nice
    #8: I like it. A bit blown, but I see where you're going with it :D
    #9 &10: Nice

Thanks for sharing iloveyou.gif
  • Options
    BetzBetz Registered Users Posts: 103 Major grins
    edited January 27, 2010
    Nice set. Really love #2. It has a '20s/30s vintage feel to it. Would love to see this with a sepia treatment. Thanks for sharing!
  • Options
    edited January 27, 2010
    oh wow.
    what a mature answer.

you are, obviously, are a very much pro. thumb.gif
    My Site
    My Facebook
  • Options
    l.k.madisonl.k.madison Registered Users Posts: 542 Major grins
    edited January 27, 2010
    I'll completely buck the system and just say that as a set, they're great, except for the processing on number 8. While the processing isn't *bad*, it just doesn't flow with the rest of them.

6 is a bit too grainy for my taste, just my opinion.

But I just LOVE her cake, how timeless. I'd be afraid to cut it.
  • Options
    edited January 27, 2010
    ALL.

I would like to apologize for letting myself (lowly amateur) to express my (lowly amateur's) thoughts in this (filled with uber amazing work) thread.

I have no right to be posting my own opinion and I am a d-bag.. according to the OP.

Once again.
    Sorry for having an opinion.

thank you for taking your time to read this comment.
    rolleyes1.gif
    My Site
    My Facebook
  • Options
    AgnieszkaAgnieszka Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,263 Major grins
    edited January 27, 2010
    Foques wrote:
    ALL.

I would like to apologize for letting myself (lowly amateur) to express my (lowly amateur's) thoughts in this (filled with uber amazing work) thread.

I have no right to be posting my own opinion and I am a d-bag.. according to the OP.

Once again.
    Sorry for having an opinion.

thank you for taking your time to read this comment.
    rolleyes1.gif

Opinions are very welcome on this forum, it's all about how you say it.

So .... let's just draw the line here y'all, ok?
  • Options
    edited January 27, 2010
    A,

i'm with you. Just saying this based off the personal messages i got from this.. person.
    My Site
    My Facebook
  • Options
    edited January 27, 2010
    I'll completely buck the system and just say that as a set, they're great, except for the processing on number 8. While the processing isn't *bad*, it just doesn't flow with the rest of them.

6 is a bit too grainy for my taste, just my opinion.

But I just LOVE her cake, how timeless. I'd be afraid to cut it.

Thanks! These were all shot .jpg because it was a sub-contract job. This explains so but not all of the noise and blown highlights. The cross processed one I will agree doesn't flow with the others, but to me it begged for either a x-pro or infrared treatment. I've noticed a lot of photographers who apply an x-pro to a lot of images especially reception images, I really only think it works on the right image. Her cake was very cool, and tough to shoot because of the huge mirror they place it in front of. This is the perfect example of why it is so important to get off camera flash working. With on-camera only. no matter how low you get if you are shooting into that mirror you are going to get bitten by your flash.
  • Options
    TGAllenTGAllen Registered Users Posts: 161 Major grins
    edited January 28, 2010
    Great set! I like all of them! bowdown.gif
  • Options
    ShootDotEditShootDotEdit Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
    edited January 28, 2010
    Really like the clarity and crispness on #1 and #2. I also like your use of shadows in the groom shot there in #1.
  • Options
    Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited January 29, 2010
    While I have to agree this is not your best work, there are a few nuggets here that I really like.

1. The light is good, but the image/pose is a little static.

2. I really like this one. The pose and the treatment work for me. Blown highlight on the dress? Who cares? Small nit - the necklace is all askew. All that aside, this image ROCKS!

3. The focus is wrong. All the action is in the mirror. Focus on the lady doing up the dress and throw the bride OOF - we would still have had the info needed to know that this is the bride and we would have had her face in focus. That's just me and how I would have shot this. Opinions differ deal.gif

4. As a "venue shot" this works ... a bit though I'm not so sure about the water flowing across the bride.

5. This one works, after you remove the house(?) along the left frame. I love the symmetry and the framing provided by the tree and the path. This almost looks like a two exposure pano.

6. I really like the rim-light affect from the sun and the fill is spot on. Not loving the blown sky, but you can't have everything - had you boosted the fill and decreased shutter/aperture enough to keep the sky, you would have lost a lot of the rim light. I think you made the right decision here (for whatever my opinion might be worth). Tilt might be a bit too much as well. Oh, and like Agnieszka has already pointed out - there's something growing out of his head.

7. Too much of the frame taken up by the flowers in the bottom. I think a tighter crop (from either the left or right and some from the bottom) would "correct" this.

8. This one is so far from anything I do, I just can't get there. Doesn't mean it's not good ... I just don't understand the appeal of the processing. But, that's just me, not the photo.

9. Not much to say except that you seemed to have found the silk lining in the pig's ear of a setting. That is a hard circumstance in which to shoot.

10. I think I would work to loose the distractions in the two right corners and, maybe, the face in the upper left corner. The cake in focus with B&G OOF - a very interesting perspective.
  • Options
    edited January 29, 2010
    Thanks Scott.

Everyone is commenting about the necklace...but believe me that is the way she wore it all day. It was some asymmetrical vintage type thing. So far as exposure latitude goes, as I said it is starting from .jpg. I always appreciate the critique and I don't really take any of my subcontract images very far, when I send these jobs in most of the time I'd rather never look at them again. Oh and on 6 there is no fill....I carry a flash only on one camera...this is from the other camera 85 f1.8 on the "photo walk".