Homeless

CocktailHBCocktailHB Registered Users Posts: 10 Big grins
edited January 27, 2010 in Street and Documentary
I came across these poor people last week and I am planning to make a story out of this. I would apreciate some feedback to these shots.

Thanks,
A.
11053722_gRdc9#773587044_RCaaB
11053722_gRdc9#773587299_hEdYy]

Comments

• lizzard_nyclizzard_nyc Registered Users Posts: 4,056 Major grins
    edited January 27, 2010
    CocktailHB wrote:

Hello and welcome,

Normally gratuitous "homeless" shots are frowned upon in this forum.
    I don't think yours falls under that category, IMO anyway.

I saw your entire series on your gallery and it works. You didn't take shots of homeless sleeping on the floor without realizing they were being photographed. These guys clearly knew you were there and seemed ok with it.

The most moving ones for me were the men crowding around the pastor's van in the hopes of getting something (to eat, clothes?). Also number 2 is very powerful, the older gentleman in the hat holding the younger man's hand in a comforting manner.

The only one that didn't work for me was #12.

You are definately highlighting an evergrowing problem in the U.S. and specifically Detroit.

I think it's a great seriesclap.gif . I hope you are able to do something positive with them.
    Liz A.
    _________
  • bdcolenbdcolen Registered Users Posts: 3,804 Major grins
    edited January 27, 2010
    CocktailHB wrote:

You asked for suggestions, so here's what I'd do if I wanted to do a project on this group of men, or any one of them. First, I'd get to know the folks with the van who are reaching out to this group of homeless men. I'd introduce myself, tell them that you want to do a documentary project on homelessness, focusing on this group, and on this social service group. I'd tell them that I want to spend a couple of weeks - whatever time you can give - volunteering with them. By doing that you will get to know everyone in a completely non-threatening, non-photographic way. After I'd done that, I'd introduce the camera into the mix. Start by concentrating your shooting on the volunteers, not the homeless guys. Then, turn the camera in the other direction. And after you've done your first day or night's shooting, go back with prints - make them small, these guys don't have allot of storage space. If some of them don't want to be shot, don't shoot them - no cute stuff. If they pose, shoot them until they stop posing, and then keep shooting.

Meanwhile, on Amazon order a copy of "Doing Documentary Work" by Robert Coles, you can probably find a used one cheap. It's not a book about documentary photography, but rather is about the ethos of doing documentary work of all kinds. Coles, who was a professor of psychiatry at Harvard for decades, began his own field work in New Orleans during the Civil Rights era, and has written numerous works about children in poverty, among other things. The book is not light reading, but neither is it impenetrable. It will give you allot to think about. Read it before you start the project. And good luck!clap.gifclap.gif
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com
    "He not busy being born is busy dying." Bob Dylan

"The more ambiguous the photograph is, the better it is..." Leonard Freed
  • CocktailHBCocktailHB Registered Users Posts: 10 Big grins
    edited January 27, 2010
    Hi B. D.,

thanks for this really great advice!! I ordered the book already.

Maybe some more words to what happened last week (pretty much the first part of your proposal). After taking pictures of some old abandoned buildings I incidentally met that guy with the van. He was giving away things to eat on the street. I talked to him for a while and he than took me to kind of a central place for the homeless people. I helped the guy giving out thing to eat, clothes, etc. and than I started talking to the homeless people. During this I asked them If I can take some pictures which they ok´d.
    Part of my current idea is, besides taking pictures and documenting the situation, I really want to use the pictures as part of a project to help these people and to get them more publicity. Considering this idea, would you - based on your experience - go the way to tell them openly, that your are planning to help them, etc. and in turn need some help from them, e.g. interviews, etc. Or would you go the more "indirect way" you described?
    Of course, and you are totally right with that, first comes thrust and relationship building.

Thanks again for your great advice. I hope that will stay in this forum forever!

Andreas