Canon 7D autofocus strategy

bigsnowdogbigsnowdog Registered Users Posts: 55 Big grins
edited January 27, 2010 in Cameras
I have a 40D for a personal camera and just took delivery of a 7D for my work setting. They are similar, yet different.

Regarding the autofocus system, the manual does not make clear to me how and why I choose certain strategies, best modes, for autofocus.

I have an AF point selection button, an AF-ON button, and you are also directed to use the M-Fn button.

I don't care to have it decide all for me, and am uncertain as to what it defaults to.

Does anyone have a lucid line of comment on the 7D's autofocus system and how to best make use of it?

Thank you.....

Comments

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,079 moderator
    edited January 27, 2010
    The simplest strategy is to use single AF point selections, and to position the points where you wish prime focus to be. I highly recommend making use of the 7D's ability to designate different points for landscape and portrait orientations.

The only deviation from the above is when working in extremely low light. In that situation the center AF point is both more sensitive and more accurate with lenses of f2.8 or better so it makes sense to use that point alone if the other points are either sluggish or inaccurate. Do remember that focus and recompose does result in geometrical errors at close proximity to the subject or with a wide angular deflection from where you focus to where you compose.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Ric GrupeRic Grupe Registered Users Posts: 9,522 Major grins
    edited January 27, 2010
    Check these videos out. :D
  • pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,703 moderator
    edited January 27, 2010
    Great link, Ric!
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
    edited January 27, 2010
    pathfinder wrote:
    Great link, Ric!

Thanks...I'll need to watch them again myself before spring (shooting season for me) arrives. :D

Maybe I should read the manual too...headscratch.gif...rolleyes1.gif.....:nah
  • Ann McRaeAnn McRae Registered Users Posts: 4,584 Major grins
    edited January 27, 2010
    Thanks for that link, Ric. Wonderful!

ann
  • kewlcanonkewlcanon Registered Users Posts: 80 Big grins
    edited January 27, 2010
    http://www.video.bhphotovideo.com/index.jsp?ens&rdm=95608.63777893019

Type in 'Canon 7D' on the Video Search box, you'll see some tutorials from a Canon engineer.

Another link that I like the most...short and sweet.

http://www.usa.canon.com/dlc/controller?act=GetArticleAct&articleID=3049&productID=329&articleTypeID=5

bigsnowdog wrote:
    I have a 40D for a personal camera and just took delivery of a 7D for my work setting. They are similar, yet different.

Regarding the autofocus system, the manual does not make clear to me how and why I choose certain strategies, best modes, for autofocus.

I have an AF point selection button, an AF-ON button, and you are also directed to use the M-Fn button.

I don't care to have it decide all for me, and am uncertain as to what it defaults to.

Does anyone have a lucid line of comment on the 7D's autofocus system and how to best make use of it?

Thank you.....
    edited January 27, 2010
    Ann McRae wrote:
    Thanks for that link, Ric. Wonderful!

ann

You are welcome, Ann. :curtsey:D
  • mercphotomercphoto Registered Users Posts: 4,550 Major grins
    edited January 27, 2010
    bigsnowdog wrote:

Thank you.....
    It does look very similar to the 45-point system of the 1-series cameras, and that is impressive for a camera this cheap. About the only thing lacking, other than truly having 45-points as opposed to 19, is a focus speed setting.

If you read up on auto focus strategies for the 1-series (1D Mark II, II-n, III or IV) it would give you some additional further information that would apply, to varying degrees, even to the 7D. Just extra food for thought.
    Bill Jurasz - Mercury Photography - Cedar Park, TX
    A former sports shooter
    Follow me at: https://www.flickr.com/photos/bjurasz/
    My Etsy store: https://www.etsy.com/shop/mercphoto?ref=hdr_shop_menu
  • kewlcanonkewlcanon Registered Users Posts: 80 Big grins
    edited January 27, 2010
    There is a focus speed setting on 7D.
    mercphoto wrote:
    It does look very similar to the 45-point system of the 1-series cameras, and that is impressive for a camera this cheap. About the only thing lacking, other than truly having 45-points as opposed to 19, is a focus speed setting.

If you read up on auto focus strategies for the 1-series (1D Mark II, II-n, III or IV) it would give you some additional further information that would apply, to varying degrees, even to the 7D. Just extra food for thought.
  • bigsnowdogbigsnowdog Registered Users Posts: 55 Big grins
    edited January 27, 2010
    I just got home and was able to check this thread. Thank you for all the great comments and assistance.